Albacore Roll Call 2021

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I'm sure that it's been covered ad nauseum, but which hooks do folks prefer for their tuna flies? For my musky stuff I'm pretty picky and only like certain Ahrex and certain Gamakatsu hooks. I'm guessing SL12S (Gami) and Ahrex SA270 would do the trick?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I'm sure that reel would be just fine, though I personally have no experience with TFO reels.

The one fairly inexpensive reel I've used a ton, and highly, highly recommend, is the Echo Bravo. I think it costs a touch more but I have several of them, have caught a ton of albacore, and they take a serious beating on the ocean every summer and just take it and smile.

The chance of hooking an exotic aside, albacore aren't generally gonna run THAT far. Ive had a few particularly hot fish take me maybe 100 yards into backing but that's probably the max I've seen. They will generally take a handful of runs up to that far, but I've never really had one go further than that. A drag that can handle a bunch of semi short, fast runs with good drag pressure is really all that is needed.

Last edited:

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I'm sure that reel would be just fine, though I personally have no experience with TGO reels.

The one fairly inexpensive reel I've used a ton, and highly, highly recommend, is the Echo Bravo. I think it costs a touch more but I have several of them, have caught a ton of albacore, and they take a serious beating on the ocean every summer and just take it and smile.

The chance of hooking an exotic aside, albacore aren't generally gonna run THAT far. Ive had a few particularly hot fish take me maybe 100 yards into backing but that's probably the max I've seen. They will generally take a handful of runs up to that far, but I've never really had one go further than that. A drag that can handle a bunch of semi short, fast runs with good drag pressure is really all that is needed.
Thanks Nick! I was looking at Echo Bravo reel as well. Like Ryan I was checking out the TFO Atoll but it's been discontinued.

SilverFly

I'm sure that it's been covered ad nauseum, but which hooks do folks prefer for their tuna flies? For my musky stuff I'm pretty picky and only like certain Ahrex and certain Gamakatsu hooks. I'm guessing SL12S (Gami) and Ahrex SA270 would do the trick?
Yes. Gami SL12's, Umpqua U401, Owner Aki have all worked well for me. Just started tying (and catching) with Ahrex Bluewater hooks last year and I'd have to say they are now my favorite.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
We use size 1 live bait hooks for fishing chovies on our charters. They seem tiny, but man do they hold fish well. We lose WAY more fish with the large hooks used for trolling gear than we do with those small hooks. Especially swim baits, those are the worst

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I like 2/0 in most of the short shank, wide gap hooks. I dont like long shank hooks for albacore if I can avoid it, but for some patterns it's necessary

Why is that, because they are easier to work loose? I've thought about tying something up on a 4/0 B10S, but have wondered about that longer shank (not that B10S hooks have THAT long of a shank, but certainly longer than most of the tuna flies you see).

Do you guys think there's any advantage to have a hook set further back in the fly (ala tube or shank in front of the hook)?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Why is that, because they are easier to work loose? I've thought about tying something up on a 4/0 B10S, but have wondered about that longer shank (not that B10S hooks have THAT long of a shank, but certainly longer than most of the tuna flies you see).

Do you guys think there's any advantage to have a hook set further back in the fly (ala tube or shank in front of the hook)?

Yeah it seems with larger hooks they are just able to work it loose easier. A smaller, short shanked hook just seems to hold better IMO.

I've never seen any reason for stingers or tube flies as far as hook placement goes, although I have seen both work well. For the size of flies I tend to fish they seem to have no problem engulfing them. They definitely don't nip.

That said if I was fishing something truly large with a ton of material off the back I'd probably consider it. Most of my flies are no larger than 6", with most in the 4-5" range, and I've never personally had a problem. Clones, zukers, and lots of trolling gear is setup so that the hooks are right at the back, but that seems more because of how the lures are designed than anything. This last season a buddy gave us some swim bait heads and tails he had made up and they were quite large. When rigged the tail went a good 7" or so behind the hook. We trolled these quite a bit, as well as cast them on occasion, and had zero problem hooking fish with them. When albacore feed they tend to just haul ass up to something, open their mouth wide, and engulf it.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I'm assuming you don't crimp your barbs with these? That's a habit I've gotta break once I start tying up a bunch....It's almost automatic at this point.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
The hooks I lose the most fish on BY FAR are treble hooks that come on Coltsniper jigs. I need to change those out for something different this year because losing 50% of the fish hooked on them just isn't cutting it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts