Albacore Roll Call 2021

JayB

What's the total cost and when are deposits due? Is loaner gear a sure thing or would I need to scrounge up my own 12-weight rig? So long as there's a reasonable chance that I'd come home with some ocean fresh tuna I should have no problem getting a hall pass and spending the $.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Hi JayB,
Their normal load is 6 anglers at $425/angler. On the tuna trips, we've been running with fewer anglers, typically 4 anglers. If 4 anglers, the cost is $525 each. Four anglers is less chaotic than 5 and more comfortable. We've done a trip with 5 fly anglers ($470/angler) if everyone is experienced, patient, and works as a team.
If you are booked with @Nick Clayton, he will have several 12 wt. rod on board and is generous about allowing anglers on his boat to use his rods (and flies). If you are on a fly charter with other WFF folks, I would inquire with the other anglers about loaner rods. As is typical of the WFF community, folks are quite generous loaning rods and flies.
Nothing is certain with any angling, but with Nick's skill and experience and the collective coverage of the several All Rivers boats that are in constant radio communication, you will likely come home with some tuna, at times too much tuna...
Steve

Bagman

What's the total cost and when are deposits due? Is loaner gear a sure thing or would I need to scrounge up my own 12-weight rig? So long as there's a reasonable chance that I'd come home with some ocean fresh tuna I should have no problem getting a hall pass and spending the $.
I normally have a spare 12wt rig and some flys as well, I’m on the Sept 7 and Sept 9 as of now. I’m staying at Twin Harbor camp grounds Sept 6th through the 9th driving back on the 10th.

Black Dogg

Guided fishing trips 4 Albacore Tuna, Salmon, etc
Hey WFF! My name is Gordy Webster. I own Black Dogg Guide Service out of Hammond, OR. I'm a tuna addict and doubling down on my addition! I bought a new Allied Liberator offshore boat last year. I got talking with a couple friends about albacore on fly rods. That led me to your thread here. I've been fly fishing for 25 years and chasing albacore for about 10 years. Check out my website and let me know if I can help you out! www.blackdoggguideservice.com

Attachments

• F48EA940-2D68-4B61-9668-3F5BCC7F5ED8.jpeg
    F48EA940-2D68-4B61-9668-3F5BCC7F5ED8.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 8

Jake

Hey WFF! My name is Gordy Webster. I own Black Dogg Guide Service out of Hammond, OR. I'm a tuna addict and doubling down on my addition! I bought a new Allied Liberator offshore boat last year. I got talking with a couple friends about albacore on fly rods. That led me to your thread here. I've been fly fishing for 25 years and chasing albacore for about 10 years. Check out my website and let me know if I can help you out! www.blackdoggguideservice.com
What’s the minimum age you feel comfortable taking? I’ve a 5yo who would love to go on any of the trip types you offer.

Black Dogg

Guided fishing trips 4 Albacore Tuna, Salmon, etc
What’s the minimum age you feel comfortable taking? I’ve a 5yo who would love to go on any of the trip types you offer.
Hey Jake. I fished a bunch of kids last year. Even one less than a year that we had in the car seat!!! I had some young kids (about 5 ish) out on a bottom fish and crab trip last season. They had a blast. Lots of action kept them interested. A couple days later they caught there first albacore! The boat is really comfortable and safe for kids. Let me know if I can help. Gordy

Attachments

• 1E2D5088-C87E-42DF-B575-E9170FA59996.jpeg
    1E2D5088-C87E-42DF-B575-E9170FA59996.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • BD1181D3-91F6-49F1-9C18-2BAC8B29C1C0.jpeg
    BD1181D3-91F6-49F1-9C18-2BAC8B29C1C0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 2F661CCA-64FC-4F33-A30B-FB81B98629E8.jpeg
    2F661CCA-64FC-4F33-A30B-FB81B98629E8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

SilverFly

I’m so gonna tie up a balance tuna fly and fish it under an indicator now.

Ira, FYI, Fishing bait under a bobber for tuna is a thing. No reason INDICATOR and fly shouldn't work. Success might be dependent on wave action, but in all seriousness, I want to see it happen.

SilverFly

Welcome to WFF Gordy. Always glad to see another charter/guide service with an open mind to fly rods on the tuna grounds.

Up til now there's been a pretty limited selection of fly friendly boats, but safe to say, WFF crews kicked butt and made some serious progress on that front last year. And based on the responses so far here, it looks like more FF boats will be needed.

So more boats is a good thing, and given the mobility of tuna, having another port option is even better. Especially a CR port.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts