Albacore Roll Call 2021

Black Dogg

Guided fishing trips 4 Albacore Tuna, Salmon, etc
Welcome to WFF Gordy. Always glad to see another charter/guide service with an open mind to fly rods on the tuna grounds.

Up til now there's been a pretty limited selection of fly friendly boats, but safe to say, WFF crews kicked butt and made some serious progress on that front last year. And based on the responses so far here, it looks like more FF boats will be needed.

So more boats is a good thing, and given the mobility of tuna, having another port option is even better. Especially a CR port.
Thanks SilverFly. Yeah, I’m looking forward to this summer. And just to be clear, trolling around fly rods is one thing. Anyone can do that. Getting a live bait bite going around the boat and casting/ stripping flys is another!!! I can carry 7 scoops of live bait on board. That’s enough bait to keep a bite going for a long time. I’m set up fairly well for casting fly rods. Looking forward to it!!! Tight lines!

Attachments

• 6A0C8725-B0DB-4F8F-968F-8F1429BD87CE.jpeg
    6A0C8725-B0DB-4F8F-968F-8F1429BD87CE.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 4

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Welcome Gordy! Great to see another tuna charter open to fly fishing!

Allied makes one nice friggen boat for sure. Ive been on Bo's boat a few times and its probably the nicest aluminum Ive ever been on. If I was in the market for an aluminum ocean boat I think Allied would be at the top of my list.

Whats the live bait situation in Hammond? Is there somewhere to purchase or do you have to get your own?

SilverFly

Thanks SilverFly. Yeah, I’m looking forward to this summer. And just to be clear, trolling around fly rods is one thing. Anyone can do that. Getting a live bait bite going around the boat and casting/ stripping flys is another!!! I can carry 7 scoops of live bait on board. That’s enough bait to keep a bite going for a long time. I’m set up fairly well for casting fly rods. Looking forward to it!!! Tight lines!

Hey Gordy, Looking forward to fishing out of Hammond again. It's a cool little harbor. Caught my first tuna on the Bewitched back in '09. That was the only port I fished for the first few years. Mostly with Capt Chuck, I also got on a really pretty yellow boat there a couple times way back when it was still doing fly charters.

Stoked to hear that you're also a fly fisher (I'm assuming you haven't tried it for tuna yet, so my apologies if you already understand a lot of the stuff I'm going over below.)

Anyway, as for trolling flies, you're right that it's easy (and super-effective). Having plenty of live bait makes a huge difference, but it's still possible to get the job done with fly rods using IQF. And believe or not, even with no chum. Last year we had very good success having 2 guys, one on each side, ready to cast straight aft immediately after a troll hookup. That tactic worked so well I'm convinced (on a good troll day) a boat could leave port with zero chum and plug with nothing but bug sticks.

One problem with that is some fly guys flat refuse to troll, which is fine, and I respect that, but it also means that a lot of fish will be caught on troll gear or by other guys dragging flies. Not my fav, but I'll do it. So I've been thinking about a variant on billfish bait and switch that we've kicked around before.

The difference being running a spread of hookless clones (or whatever), just maybe running them a bit shorter. Otherwise a typical albie spread. The unknown being whether or not the time window for fly hookup is long enough after the hookless clones are hit. No day dreaming while on troll watch!

Anyway, the point is there's a bunch more to fly fishing albacore than trolling or chumming them into a frenzy at the boat. Particularly by using fast sinking lines. These lines make it possible to take flies down to the tuna, and depending on the line, and drift rate, nearly to jig depths (100+ feet) in some cases. Also by fishing more vertically, these lines don't (usually) require long casts, often only a short roll cast is needed. So the image of back cast loops whizzing around everywhere isn't how it actually works with a multiple fly rods. And because these lines fish by angling down steeply, they play very well next to bait, swimbaits, and iron.

This is not to say that there aren't times when punching a 60'-90' cast isn't done, but that's what the bow is for, and looks like you've got that covered.

If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully Nick will cover them since he is the true expert.

Guy

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Two years ago Mark did a trip with the same "fly group" I had a few days prior to you guys coming out. They did exactly what you described, simply took the hooks off their clones and trolled their normal spread. I wasn't there but according to Mark it worked well. The only issue I can see there is quickly clearing gear to allow fly casting, but that could be worked through

SilverFly

Two years ago Mark did a trip with the same "fly group" I had a few days prior to you guys coming out. They did exactly what you described, simply took the hooks off their clones and trolled their normal spread. I wasn't there but according to Mark it worked well. The only issue I can see there is quickly clearing gear to allow fly casting, but that could be worked through

I know electric reels are expensive and a general PITA, but having even two of the teaser lines on electrics could massively speed up line clearing. Flip 2 switches, and crank in the others.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts