Albacore Roll Call 2021

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I know electric reels are expensive and a general PITA, but having even two of the teaser lines on electrics could massively speed up line clearing. Flip 2 switches, and crank in the others.

Of course then you have cords to deal with, which could add to what can often be described as a "shit show" lol

Edit: I am not a big fan of running the outriggers on fly trips as they tend to get in the way when casting, so trolling a 3 rod spread of teasers and clearing that quickly wouldn't be bad at all. I spent probably a third of this last season trolling just a 3 rod spread. It seems later in the season when the fish aren't as responsive to standard troll stuff that having more rods out isn't really a big advantage anyway. And when we started seeing that behavior of getting a troll hookup, first few baits in getting insta bit, then boom going off the bite, it was advantageous only having 3 troll rods out as it allowed us to get more baits in the water quicker.

Of course with a 3 rod spread if a guy or two did want to troll flies it would be no problem to add that to the mix

Last edited:

SilverFly

Right across the river :D

(river is like 5mi wide there though)
One downside to a Hammond a charter is the 12 hour trip timer is already ticking when you're puttering into Ilwaco at 5 knots... to get in line at the bait dock, then putter out again at 5kts. The upside is fishing over the Astoria Canyon with a load of live anchovies on board.

Bagman

I was on a long range trip that trolled for marlin. They used long rods and kept the plug on top of the water about a good cast behind the boat. When the marlin hit the plug the guy would lift the rod and reel like hell. A guy would be standing next to the troll rod guy and cast to the fish on top. I’m not sure just how that would work for tuna.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
One downside to a Hammond a charter is the 12 hour trip timer is already ticking when you're puttering into Ilwaco at 5 knots... to get in line at the bait dock, then putter out again at 5kts. The upside is fishing over the Astoria Canyon with a load of live anchovies on board.
I took the boat out of Warrenton one day last summer (the trip @Creatch'r went on with me), and that added 10+ miles or so of river commute really adds a lot. Also, funny enough, the roughest water we encountered all day was by Hammond on the way in.

Granted, an Alumaweld Intruder is quite a bit faster than the Bewitched. But still, going out of Garibaldi or Depoe is always a much easier commute.

landlocked

WFF Supporter
You can always use my gear and put the money you would have spent on gear towards scopalamine patches for your crew ;)
Haha...we used to call scopalamine patches "P**sy Patches" back when going over the bars cutting bait at 2 AM was a several times a week process. Since I hung up my xtra-tuffs in 2008, I'd say I'd be first in line with hand out the day prior to fishing for those! Those are science's best gift to anyone going out on the ocean, not on a regular basis!

Wish I could tee up a trip with you this year, but won a steelhead fly trip on the Salmon this spring so my trip money is going there to extend it out a few days. Nothing better than fresh albacore loins on the grill with butter, garlic and lemon!

NRC

WFF Supporter
Sounds like the old days when the Islander or the Lamplighter in Grayland were stops on the way home for the crews.
Just turn the dial way way down on level of saltiness and general badassness and ability, and you’ve got a match :)

JayB

I normally have a spare 12wt rig and some flys as well, I’m on the Sept 7 and Sept 9 as of now. I’m staying at Twin Harbor camp grounds Sept 6th through the 9th driving back on the 10th.

Who did you book with? Are you planning on an All Rivers trip with four people or is that TBD? I have a green light for the trip - so I'd just need to check to see which days they have available on their roster and make a deposit. All things being equal, and since this sort of trip is likely to be something of a rarity for me, I think I'd lean heavily towards a four person trip since between all of the other costs the extra $100 would be worth it.

Thanks so much for extending the offer to let a stranger borrow a rod - if it comes together I'd be happy to kick in some beers or some other token of my appreciation, and of course any gear I borrowed would be on a "you break it, you own it" basis.

Bagman

Who did you book with? Are you planning on an All Rivers trip with four people or is that TBD? I have a green light for the trip - so I'd just need to check to see which days they have available on their roster and make a deposit. All things being equal, and since this sort of trip is likely to be something of a rarity for me, I think I'd lean heavily towards a four person trip since between all of the other costs the extra $100 would be worth it.

Thanks so much for extending the offer to let a stranger borrow a rod - if it comes together I'd be happy to kick in some beers or some other token of my appreciation, and of course any gear I borrowed would be on a "you break it, you own it" basis.
I’m booked on Sept 7th and Sept 9th, on Nicks boat. (not sure how many people will be on the boat) I’m camping at Twin Harbor camp ground Sept 6th through the 9th checking out on the 10th. @JayB I live in Poulsbo. Send me a PM maybe we could meet up and do a pass off if my days don’t match up with yours.

JayB

Awesome - thanks so much - that's incredibly generous of you. Lots going on today but I'll try to give them a ring today and see if I can score a place on Nick's boat on the 7th or 9th.

JayB

Just called - sounds like someone already has Nick's boat booked for the 7th and 9th (and a couple of other dates). She asked if I was part of "S_____'s" group, and I had to tell her - "Uh - I don't actually know anyone's real name but I think that's who I've been exchanging messages with.

Anyhow - if you are "S" and there's room on your crew for one of those dates, let me know and I can get in touch with All Rivers and do any coordinating that I need to do on my end. If you aren't "S" maybe whoever that is can shoot me a PM? Happy to kick in my share of the deposit, etc right now to get everything settled.

If the roster is already full and some other folks want to put a crew together for a date on Nick's boat I'd be happy to coordinate.

Bagman

Just called - sounds like someone already has Nick's boat booked for the 7th and 9th (and a couple of other dates). She asked if I was part of "S_____'s" group, and I had to tell her - "Uh - I don't actually know anyone's real name but I think that's who I've been exchanging messages with.

Anyhow - if you are "S" and there's room on your crew for one of those dates, let me know and I can get in touch with All Rivers and do any coordinating that I need to do on my end. If you aren't "S" maybe whoever that is can shoot me a PM? Happy to kick in my share of the deposit, etc right now to get everything settled.

If the roster is already full and some other folks want to put a crew together for a date on Nick's boat I'd be happy to coordinate.
S is cabezon, he has been handling a great deal of this for us. He should be on this thread.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts