New anti-gun legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Allen

I would like to ammendment all my previous statements..

Taking away our civil rights. Is the insurrection.. getting rid of the people that do it is just securing the free state. Which is the constitutional purpose of firearms and the militia.

Brady Burmeister

"7 day waiting period on suppressors"

It already takes the ATF about 3-9 months to process your $200 tax stamp on suppressors. Pretty sure an extra 7 days won't change a thing. All people are trying to do is save their ears and not annoy their neighbors as much.

Hem

And then we have Montana...currently trying to make it legal for concealed carry on campus. Why not allow drunk college students to pack a concealed handgun?
Ridiculous!
Swimmy, you have a hard shell camper. Keep a clean camp and you are fine. A handgun in the hands of someone who has NO experience with firearms is an accident waiting to happen.
Defending yourself against an intruder or a bear with a handgun is useless. Invest in a shotgun with buckshot and slugs. Use buckshot for meth heads. For bears load with alternating buckshot and slugs.
And you better practice shooting...alot.
Bottom line, the shotgun is more effective to shoot under duress.

Rob Allen

And then we have Montana...currently trying to make it legal for concealed carry on campus. Why not allow drunk college students to pack a concealed handgun?
Ridiculous!
Swimmy, you have a hard shell camper. Keep a clean camp and you are fine. A handgun in the hands of someone who has NO experience with firearms is an accident waiting to happen.
Defending yourself against an intruder or a bear with a handgun is useless. Invest in a shotgun with buckshot and slugs. Use buckshot for meth heads. For bears load with alternating buckshot and slugs.

This is partially true... my experience with handguns is very limited so I won't comment.

However the best gun for every situation s the one you are comfortable with, train with and are able to shoot well.. For home invaders. AR-15s have proven themselves to be very effective in the real world, they are easy to use and hold enough ammo.

The biggest exception is bears. I think it would be smart to carry bear spray and a 44 mag.

Interestingly enough the only handgun I have ever fired was a 44 magnum Ruger Blackhawk I think. I found it fired very easily and was comfortable to handle. That's what I'd carry for bears again, along with bear Spray..
Carrying a shot gun in bear country would be cumbersome and likely end up getting left in the truck where it doesn't do anyone any good.

Whatever a person gets, they need to train with it.

Hem

This is partially true... my experience with handguns is very limited so I won't comment.

However the best gun for every situation s the one you are comfortable with, train with and are able to shoot well.. For home invaders. AR-15s have proven themselves to be very effective in the real world, they are easy to use and hold enough ammo.

The biggest exception is bears. I think it would be smart to carry bear spray and a 44 mag.

Interestingly enough the only handgun I have ever fired was a 44 magnum Ruger Blackhawk I think. I found it fired very easily and was comfortable to handle. That's what I'd carry for bears again, along with bear Spray..
Carrying a shot gun in bear country would be cumbersome and likely end up getting left in the truck where it doesn't do anyone any good.

Whatever a person gets, they need to train with it.
Rob
Thoughtful response but you only briefly lived in grizz country. I personally know 3 people that have been charged AND mauled. Handguns convenient but shotguns more effective....spray has proven to be the best option...all aspects considered. Swimmy is looking for home defense and protecting his camping area.
Shotgun in the hands of a novice,under duress, is undeniably the best option for effective fire power , either for a marauding bear or an intruder.
But it might make a mess of a newly remodeled home.

Rob Allen

Rob
Thoughtful response but you only briefly lived in grizz country. I personally know 3 people that have been charged AND mauled. Handguns convenient but shotguns more effective....spray has proven to be the best option...all aspects considered. Swimmy is looking for home defense and protecting his camping area.
Shotgun in the hands of a novice,under duress, is undeniably the best option for effective fire power , either for a marauding bear or an intruder.
But it might make a mess of a newly remodeled home.

I don't disagree.. I have spent plenty of time in bear country.. Montana isn't the only bear country... that said when I am in Montana, I try to camp in places unlikely to be visited by grizz.

I spent about 10 days scouting and hunting in the gravllies which is where I was most concerned but was fortunate to never see a bear.

I saw one north of the Bridget's but it was across the gorge I was hiking it, about 1/4 mile away. He was fun to watch for 20 minutes or so..

I saw another one while fishing on the little Blackfoot he was less than a hundred yards away but he had just crossed hwy 12 and seemed anxious to get back into the woods.

My wife had the close encounter though, while we were out morel mushroom hunting north of Goldendale in Washington state.. She and John our yellow lab stumbled across it in the thick brush, it stood up John lunged towards it and it ran away , she clearly saw the large humped back. She screamed bear, I pulled out my pocket knife and started running, thinking, " so this is how it ends." Bear spray is never a bad idea,

Reactions: Hem

O' Clarkii Stomias

Scatter gun for home defense, so a stray round won't hit my neighbors, an large bor handgun for bears because I'm more likely to bring it with me. And yes I'm proficient with firearms, and have lived in grizz county.

Reactions: Hem

Hem

To each their own. I would rather point and shoot with a shotgun than aim and shoot with a handgun at a angry 600 lb animal moving remarkably fast. ;)

Rob Allen

To each their own. I would rather point and shoot with a shotgun than aim and shoot with a handgun at a angry 600 lb animal moving remarkably fast. ;)

Of the attacks that actually end in a mauling i wonder how many of them. Actually had the time to react with anything? I could very well be wrong but I get the impression that most happen too quickly to respond..

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Ridiculous!

Thanks. I'm tidy.

And I agree, with my limited experience a shotgun is a no-brainer if I decide to become a gun owner.

Rob Allen

Thanks. I'm tidy.

And I agree, with my limited experience a shotgun is a no-brainer if I decide to become a gun owner.

Swimmy, whatcha really ought think about is ditching the fall streamer fishing. Ditch the pastels of your Simms fishing shirts, get a 300 win mag and some Sitka gear and help control the elk population :)

In all seriousness, I think you could really get into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts