New anti-gun legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamcu280

I immediately thought of this guy.

All wild megafauna should be given a healthy degree of respect. The crap instigated in Yellowstone NP by tourions makes me root for the Bison.
^^Grizzly Man's girlfriend was the daughter of an old friend.

adamcu280

What was his take on the guy?
I don't remember. At the time of the incident we were more concerned with mourning the loss of his daughter than critiquing her boyfriend. He moved away not long afterwards and we haven't kept in regular contact.

Roper seems pretty upset about a bit of thread drift but in my world, bears > most people > guns. Not to mention there are quite a few drifty subjects covered in this thread that didn't get such an uppity response. Something must have triggered him.

ribka

Maybe the available data has increased. Seems like the last I read was that bear spray was 85% effective, which was still quite a bit higher than firearms. 90% makes me feel even better.

Meanwhile, back on topic, has anyone seen an update on the proposed legislation? It's so far out in la la land that I expect even most liberal Democrats will reject it.
Yep I agree Listen to all of the boos from the democrats

ribka

Yeah, they can be amended, just as with any part of the Constitution. Of course, amending the Constitution is no easy thing, and that is by design. I don't think you need to lose any sleep over the 2nd A being amended. But keep a sharp eye on what some advocates will propose as "reasonable" restrictions in order to fall within the bounds of current case law.
Thank God Dems are firearms experts. And I agree with the Dems that we need to disarm Americans by force if needed

ribka

I did.

I did. I don't see how that, in it's entirety, would ever make it through committee. It's beyond "pie in the sky control". I had to re-read the fine schedule....really? She appears to be doing a pretty decent job, in many areas, for Texas and I will leave it at that.
I agree with you that gun bans are funny band needed

ribka

I haven't read the whole thread, but here's my (probably redundant) 2 cents.

Regarding gun control, I think America can and should do a lot more. I'm from a country (Australia) that has much more stringent gun control and it works; gun violence is basically non-existent. I would never own a gun in my home country. That said, the police force is significantly better than it is here. When my wife and I buy a house, buying a gun and getting some training will be one of the first things I do.

Regarding bear protection, I did a tonne of research on this before I moved to the USA. Apparently, handguns are ineffective, shotguns can be effective and bear spray is most effective. With a 44 magnum, you must shoot the bear in the brain or destroy a limb, which is extremely unlikely in a high stress situation. If you shoot a bear in the heart, it often still has enough time and oxygen in its blood to kill you. Any other shot will enrage the bear further and decrease the probability of survival. I found some evidence that you are actually more likely to die, if you try to shoot a bear with a handgun, than if you do nothing. Shotguns have all the same problems, except that the probability of brain damage or limb removal is higher. Bear spray is far more effective than either. If you hit the bear with spray, it can't see or smell you. If you fail to hit the bear with spray, you're more likely to survive the mauling.
lol. thanks for the laugh. probably never held a firearm or have seen a bear in your life. Ive killed 3 bears with my longbow with wood arrow made by hand and one bear with my 357 mag.ruger sp 101

a regular wiki expert. sad how the internet has really dumbed down the populace

I just read an article that the digiridoo, when played correctly, will calm down a great white and prevent an attack

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
lol. thanks for the laugh. probably never held a firearm or have seen a bear in your life. Ive killed 3 bears with my longbow with wood arrow made by hand and one bear with my 357 mag.ruger sp 101

a regular wiki expert. sad how the internet has really dumbed down the populace

I just read an article that the digiridoo, when played correctly, will calm down a great white and prevent an attack

It was a study done on hundreds of attacks, by people with doctorate degrees who work with bears for a living.

I think I'll take their input over the anecdotes of a rude person on the internet.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

It was a study done on hundreds of attacks, by people with doctorate degrees who work with bears for a living.

I think I'll take their input over the anecdotes of a rude person on the internet.

I don't know about this exact situation but over the last 50 years I have come to realize that experts with PHDs are wrong more often than regular joes with common sense..

The whole appeal to authority is a bad argument.

Here is an example. I used to follow professional bass fishing a little. One thing that almost never happens is the local favorite winning a tournament. They rely too much on their local expertise and don't think about what's really going on.

To each their own when it comes to self protection..

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
I don't know about this exact situation but over the last 50 years I have come to realize that experts with PHDs are wrong more often than regular joes with common sense..

The whole appeal to authority is a bad argument.

Here is an example. I used to follow professional bass fishing a little. One thing that almost never happens is the local favorite winning a tournament. They rely too much on their local expertise and don't think about what's really going on.

To each their own when it comes to self protection..
Seriously???

What makes you think having a PhD and being a regular Joe with common sense are mutually exclusive? Talk about an elitist attitude, but I've seen this anti-science attitude from you before and for many years (old Westfly). Not to derail, but I guess the COVID-19 experience has taught you nothing about science, its value, and how it works.

With your own anecdotal example, about bass fishing, I guess no one should listen to you when you chime in with your local stream knowledge or equipment knowledge, correct? According to you, experience is meaningless.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts