New anti-gun legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Sullivan

The Supreme Court should be 100% free of public influence, their obligation is to the constitution and absolutely nothing else.
What happens when a deeply religious Christian justice has to rule on something such as the death penalty? Though shalt not kill seems pretty unambiguous. if they rule for the death penalty aren't they complicit in violating that commandment? Does that supersede her secular interpretation of the constitution? Can the two truly be compartmentalized?

I am not sure that the human mind can truly separate faith completely when making judgements. Further, which comes first, ones faith or human made law? I think for the truly faithful it is always faith.

Go Sox,
cds

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

HhGXlNC.jpg

I'm not sure what this is meant to mean. It's a C&P meme/ t-shirt so I don't know what bearing it has on my attempt to have a discussion of the reality of Heller etc. Could you explain? Is it an attempt at an insult or an odd misogynist style belittling meme?

Go Sox,
cds

O' Clarkii Stomias

What happens when a deeply religious Christian justice has to rule on something such as the death penalty? Though shalt not kill seems pretty unambiguous. if they rule for the death penalty aren't they complicit in violating that commandment? Does that supersede her secular interpretation of the constitution? Can the two truly be compartmentalized?

I am not sure that the human mind can truly separate faith completely when making judgements. Further, which comes first, ones faith or human made law? I think for the truly faithful it is always faith.

Go Sox,
cds
So, basically, christians are incapable of following the constitution, and we need to implement affirmative action to the selection of supreme court justices.

Rob Allen

Go Sox,
cds
What makes you think our founding documents are secular? They aren't at all..

"Endowed by our creator"

The whole concept of our constitution is that there are moral/natural rights that people have apart from an untouchable by government.
Whether you believe those rights are granted by a specific God or are just natural in nature is irrelevant, it's a deeply religious stand to take.

Also given the original languages a better translation is thou shalt not commit murder. That also is a better fit contextually for the rest of the Bible.

The constitution does not speak to the death penalty and is therefore a state matter.

Also secular humanism is a religion...

Charles Sullivan

So, basically, christians are incapable of following the constitution, and we need to implement affirmative action to the selection of supreme court justices.

I think this conversation would be much better if you did not interoperate my words. I do not believe that anyone can completely divorce their beliefs or even lack of beliefs from their professional lives. I did not say that religious people were incapable of following the constitution.
As far as affirmative action goes, I contend that having a belief in God has been a litmus test for justices. The fact that there are no atheist or agnostic judges is indicative of that.
Those are all my words.

Go Sox,
cds

Charles Sullivan

What makes you think our founding documents are secular? They aren't at all..

"Endowed by our creator"

The whole concept of our constitution is that there are moral/natural rights that people have apart from an untouchable by government.
Whether you believe those rights are granted by a specific God or are just natural in nature is irrelevant, it's a deeply religious stand to take.

Also given the original languages a better translation is thou shalt not commit murder. That also is a better fit contextually for the rest of the Bible.

The constitution does not speak to the death penalty and is therefore a state matter.

Also secular humanism is a religion...
Interesting take. That is consistent in some ways. If your conscience is ok with that then good for you.

My take is that the very 1st amendment to the constitution was to keep church and state seperate, for the betterment of both institutions. So while the documents don't read as 100% secular having been written in the language of the day, the government they create should be. This would be for the betterment of both church and state.

One great thing about being an atheist is that I don't have to do any mental gymnastics to marry my religious faith with anything. The downside is that I am 100% responsible for my conclusions and actions. I can't defer to a religious text.

Go Sox,
cds

Rob Allen

Z
Interesting take. That is consistent in some ways. If your conscience is ok with that then good for you.

My take is that the very 1st amendment to the constitution was to keep church and state seperate, for the betterment of both institutions. So while the documents don't read as 100% secular having been written in the language of the day, the government they create should be. This would be for the betterment of both church and state.

One great thing about being an atheist is that I don't have to do any mental gymnastics to marry my religious faith with anything. The downside is that I am 100% responsible for my conclusions and actions. I can't defer to a religious text.

Go Sox,
cds

But you are referring to a religious text. The thing is is that it exists only in your mind, truth be told that us true for everyone to one extent or another because no two people believe identically.

The first ammendment exists to ensure that the government doesn't interfere with a person's relationship with God. It doesn't dictate secularism. It dictates that the government is inferior to religious rights, written in the context of one Christian sect not dominating another one legally. But it certainly applies to all religions/ non-relligions too. Again secularism is a religion and therefore also cannot force undue influence over laws or it violates the establishment clause.

Merle

Just checking......it’s almost the end of February, anybody have their gun rights taken away yet?
No, fortunately not. But at the beginning of this thread there was a proposal by some lawmakers to take away peoples’ gun rights, which is why we started the discussion.

bhudda

heffe'
No, fortunately not. But at the beginning of this thread there was a proposal by some lawmakers to take away peoples’ gun rights, which is why we started the discussion.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks Merle! How’s that going? .......the proposals, from the start of this thread, I missed that, page 1? Glad nothings been taken from you, I mean your rights haven’t been taken away,.................yet.

Dave Maddock

There inlies the need to stick with what the founding fathers said.

I know it's increasingly unpopular these days but words have actual meanings and are not open to personal interpretations. The only thing that matters is what the founding fathers meant by what they said..

I do not believe it is up to the whim of the American electorate to change that..

Again we have a massive lying problem in America, I think we should have registration and training for everyone who wants to talk..
We also have a false religion problem in this country, we need to make sure everyone religious is doing it in a state sanctioned way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts