New anti-gun legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
The floodgates have opened on anti-gun bills being introduced in the new Congress. Here's what you need to know.

Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) proposed the following gun control legislation at the federal level:

• HR 127 - License to own guns & ammo, mandatory firearm registration, and ban on certain types of ammunition
  • HR 125 - Mandatory 7-day waiting period on the purchase of semiautos, suppressors, armor-piercing ammo, and "large capacity" magazines
  • HR 121 - Would result in the hiring of 200 new ATF agents to "enforce gun laws"
  • HR 130 - Forces you to submit to government "safe storage" requirements for your firearms
  • HR 167 - Prohibits the transfer of a firearm at gun shows by a person who is not an FFL
  • And that's just the start of what's been introduced in less than ONE WEEK!

If this violates any WFF forum rules, remove it.
Do you oppose all of these? If so can you say why for each one?

bhudda

heffe'
Do you want to pay $25 dollars eveytime you want to buy your kid some trap loads to shoot? Does that solve any of the gun problems? No I just Pay an extra $25 dollars everytime I want to get some more hunting ammo or trap ammo for my kid..
Just wanted to bring this up.
What is your arguement for the support of all this.
These laws seem to affect the poor or racial minorities more than it does people like me. Right to bear arms is a constitutional right and yet to be totally defined but I can afford to work the rules. But we price out those who should still have the right. Kind of relates to the struggles of the current movements in my opinion. Very regressive policy.

SORRY, YOU CANNOT HUNT OR PARTICIPATE IN GUN RELATED SPORTING EVENTS BECAUSE YOUR MOM AND DAD CANNOT AFFORD IT.
AND WE ARE MAKING SURE OF IT THAT THEY CANNOT.....
I wouldn’t want to pay 25$ every time... but I would also like to see where it is stated you pay “each” time and not a 1 time fee. I don’t mean to sound argumentative, but monetary means and the right to do something have nothing to do with each other. You either afford to do something or you don’t. Is it your opinion that the poor and racial minorities are affected the most? I’m going out on a limb and saying yes....

..so in your world of gun ownership, you’ve pretty much said ammo is obsolete...

you asked why I’m questioning this.... I do so because I’m trying to understand the average gun owners gripe over what rights are actually taken and what actually affects them, I can’t find anything that affects me that would make me feel like my 2 amendment rights are being challenged. I appreciate the back and forth btw. Cheers

Rob Allen

All I’ve heard you say basically is there is a supply issue and a 25$fee in California, that doesn’t seem like over reaching control... I’m still trying to

I wouldn’t want to pay 25$ every time... but I would also like to see where it is stated you pay “each” time and not a 1 time fee. I don’t mean to sound argumentative, but monetary means and the right to do something have nothing to do with each other. You either afford to do something or you don’t. Is it your opinion that the poor and racial minorities are affected the most? I’m going out on a limb and saying yes....

..so in your world of gun ownership, you’ve pretty much said ammo is obsolete...

you asked why I’m questioning this.... I do so because I’m trying to understand the average gun owners gripe over what rights are actually taken and what actually affects them, I can’t find anything that affects me that would make me feel like my 2 amendment rights are being challenged. I appreciate the back and forth btw. Cheers

What if you were charged 25 dollars every time you wanted to talk? Would you really have the right to free speech?

Phil Fravel

Friendly
Reading over the things in this bill, do any of them seem ridiculous. No not really. By a at the same time it’s not going to stop evil.

There will never be a law created to stop Evil. If that was the case laws like Murder or no school shooting or gun free zones should of worked.

Just to infringe and make it more difficult or expensive for law abiding citizens to own a gun or have them pay more for amo is just to mess with ALL Americans 2nd amendment RIGHT.

gt

I wish I had 50krounds of ammo stock piled. As of right now I am trying to get my son into a trap team localy and I am lucky to find enough ammo to allow him to participate. I am in California where the gun laws are part of the most restrictive. Has this solved any of our gun crime troubles? NO just like all the other cities with high gun control laws and high gun crimes.
In CA we now need to use non lead for all of our hunting. There is no non lead locally for sale to use as hunting ammo.
In CA if you have not purchase a gun in the last 5 years and had the background check that comes with it you cannot buy ammo without paying for a background check $25? not sure on exact amout but it has been stated you are better off buying a new gun to avoid these charges. I believe this to be every time you buy ammo but may be wrong on that.
I cannot even find a case of 3" #2 12GA. looked from CA, OR, WA all the way up to Bellingham.

Those of you that are hunters that think this only effects the ar15 nuts, you better look at how it will affect you.
Lots of new laws... Have they solved any problems? They have effected my son being able to hunt and participate in youth trap competition......

Those of you that have a firearm and think that the law that are being drafted wont effect you. Pay attention. They are not common sense.

Russell
i shot competitively for years, 500 rounds each and every weekend all spring, summer and fall. buy a case of Winchester AAs, 1/8 oz, #9shot, learn to reload. i would get 35-40 reloads from each case before the top crimp would fail.

i have my own arsenal and this sort of legislation will make ZERO difference to me, a legal gun owner!!!!

matchu865

WFF Supporter
Just because proposed gun legislation doesn't currently affect you, does not mean that it won't in the future. Some might call the slippery slope argument a fallacy, but in general we have seen firearms legislation only get more restrictive - with silly ineffective laws unnecessarily affecting law abiding gun owners and not criminals. Initiatives like registration/licensing/etc.. only enable future efforts to confiscate guns - we don't want to end up like the UK or France where getting into too many car accidents == "give up your guns", which is the sad reality.

The elephant in the room is that there is also a big problem with the people trusting our government at all levels, in some cases for good reason, others not. This makes it difficult for anyone to get behind passing more laws - well intentioned or not.

For firearms legislation to be effective in reducing crime/deaths, it first needs to be enforceable - so I don't mind seeing more funding for enforcement/prosecution for violations of existing gun laws. Secondly, it has actually address a problem instead of a "fear". It also needs to address the reality that criminals don't follow the law, e.g. if I'm a prohibited person, why should I care if I have a magazine for the weapon illegally posses holds 30 rounds when 10 is the limit. Lastly, monetary fees and bureaucratic red tape are a great way to disenfranchise and discriminate against the already oppressed and poor - so good legislation would attempt to mitigate that.

With that said, I could get behind (or at least not oppose) stuff like:
1. Free or very low-fee universal background checks for private party sales -Not Registration
2. Free or very low-fee safety/first-aid training courses that produce a certificate entitling you to buy a firearm. Not-registration
3. Education and subsidies (not laws) for safe storage
4. Short waiting periods (e.g. 1-3 days) to help people attempt suicide or crimes of passion
5. More publicly funded shooting ranges - to help prevent potentially dangerous shooting and trash buildups on public land
6. Lifting NFA registration requirements on suppressors to help folks avoid hearing loss health costs

Most everything else is bullshit proposed by politicians that want to say "I did something" to appease folks that have a fear of guns or gun violence.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I'm not going to speak to the need, or Constitutionality, of the proposals. One need also to consider what the chances of those getting even a hearing in Congress.

But I sure do see a market imbalance - are added regulations slowing down supply? I don't know the answer, but perhaps somebody does,. Or is demand ratcheting up and supply is slow to catch up? I was looking for a cheap .410 and they seem to be thin on the ground. ammo the same. It's not like a .410 is an assault rifle, its for squirrels and rabbits.

nwbobber

I am a firearm owner, life member of the NRA. I don't agree with much the NRA puts out however, and wish we could move forward with anything that would keep mentally ill whack jobs from getting their hands on a firearm and causing the kind of mayhem that hurts people, and enrages the public and the politicians that then threaten my 2nd amendment rights.
Gun registration will not lead to the gubbermint coming to confiscate all our firearms. That is a scare tactic with absolutely no evidence associated with it. You can't keep felons and crazies from acquiring firearms without a system of monitoring who buys them. Tell me a way to do that without registration, FFL holders involvement in sales and other transfers of ownership and I'll listen, but without completely reinventing this system, I think that's the best we can hope for.
I can't support the restrictions on semi autos, high capacity magazines, suppressors etc. These all work the way they are supposed to. We just need to keep the defective people separated from them.

nwbobber

I read 25 dollars every five years, not every time.
Ammo shortages over the last twenty years have all been caused by people buying more than they need in fear of the government limiting access. These fears have been stoked by the NRA and others, all to the benefit of the manufacturers who cannot keep up with the demand. I don't know this for a fact but COVID has caused manufacturing snags in virtually every other industry, and an ammunition factory may be no different if the people working there are in close proximity with their coworkers normally(or if these conditions exist for any of their suppliers anywhere down the supply chain).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts