New anti-gun legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I'm actually thinking of buying a gun for the first time. For home safety but more importantly protection in our camper when camping in grizz country.

Maybe a 870 12 gauge?

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
Been watching this with interest. I will admit, I am pretty strong on the side of "sensible gun laws", ie, I do not understand the need for military (ARs) style weaponry, oversized magazines, etc, in the general public. But the problem is, what is sensible to one group is unreasonable to another.

I also don't understand the resistance to gun registration - you do have to register to vote (since voting was used as an analogy). Can someone please explain the resistance to me and how registration is an infringement on your gun ownership.

Cheers
What may seem "sensible" to you it looks like overreach by others. Infringement. One has to ask why, within the first five days of the new Congress so many restrictive bills are introduced? Personally I see it as a death by a thousand cuts. Look at how much ours lives are controlled by others during the pandemic. Thousands of business and livelihoods lost. Government wants to control us while it can't even control itself.

As to your position on AR's and registration, the rifles are used by thousands of competitors in practical shooting contests and registration, I feel, is the first step to confiscation. It's been done by other countries in the past.

I'm curious, do you own a gun? Do you have anything to lose here...?

In case anyone wonders, I don't have an AR, I do have a .22 caliber AR style that truthfully I rarely use. I mostly shoot shotguns and handguns. But I support the right for anyone else to own an AR.

When "they" finally get around to putting some text in these bills we will know more about their intent.

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
I'm actually thinking of buying a gun for the first time. For home safety but more importantly protection in our camper when camping in grizz country.

Maybe a 870 12 gauge?
While the Express models aren't the prettiest things, they get the job done. I own 3 Wingmasters...I'm styling...

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
What may seem "sensible" to you it looks like overreach by others. Infringement. One has to ask why, within the first five days of the new Congress so many restrictive bills are introduced? Personally I see it as a death by a thousand cuts. Look at how much ours lives are controlled by others during the pandemic. Thousands of business and livelihoods lost. Government wants to control us while it can't even control itself.

As to your position on AR's and registration, the rifles are used by thousands of competitors in practical shooting contests and registration, I feel, is the first step to confiscation. It's been done by other countries in the past.

I'm curious, do you own a gun? Do you have anything to lose here...?

In case anyone wonders, I don't have an AR, I do have a .22 caliber AR style that truthfully I rarely use. I mostly shoot shotguns and handguns. But I support the right for anyone else to own an AR.

When "they" finally get around to putting some text in these bills we will know more about their intent.
I don't own a gun, my father was killed in a hunting accident when I was 3, so I will admit I have a bit of an aversion, but also a bit of a fascination.

I did mention what seems sensible to one to one person is unreasonable to another.

With regard to AR ownership, if they are only for competition, why not a special permit? Why can't they be stored safely at the range and away from the crazies?

Registration is the first step to confiscation is always the rationale for the resistance, but you register your vehicle, when does the government come for your vehicle. Also as mentioned, you have to register to vote, no registration no vote - is that unconstitutional, is it an infringement on your rights, have they used your registration to strip you of your vote? It just doesn't follow.

I appreciate your answers, but it seems the lack of any give on either side, or desire to understand where the other is coming from has led us to the intransigence we see. I am just trying to understand.

Cheers

bhudda

heffe'
You're

And say what you want about Rob, but I don't often see him come after the person. Rather he stays focused on the issue and I respect him for that.
Ahhh.... swimmy with a kaisen :) your a better man then me! As far as staying focused on the issue, he didn’t focus....hence my reply! Drink a cold one :)

Last edited:

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
I don't own a gun, my father was killed in a hunting accident when I was 3, so I will admit I have a bit of an aversion, but also a bit of a fascination.

I'm sorry to hear about you father. I can understand how that would shape your beliefs.

With regard to AR ownership, if they are only for competition, why not a special permit? Why can't they be stored safely at the range and away from the crazies? That is not their only purpose. They are used for varmint control on farms, hunting, and home protection. I'll wager most are stored safely in gun safes. I'm afraid as far as keeping anything away from the crazies, that horse already left the barn. Why is it in relation to social justice we are encouraged to not judge the many by the actions of the few and that not be the case in firearms?

Registration is the first step to confiscation is always the rationale for the resistance, but you register your vehicle, when does the government come for your vehicle. Also as mentioned, you have to register to vote, no registration no vote - is that unconstitutional, is it an infringement on your rights, have they used your registration to strip you of your vote? It just doesn't follow. Some of these are not the same. Having a vehicle is not protected by the Constitution. Poor example IMHO. Registering to vote is not an issue as shown by our recent election. No one wants to take away anyones vote...seems they encourage the opposite.

I appreciate your answers, but it seems the lack of any give on either side, or desire to understand where the other is coming from has led us to the intransigence we see. I am just trying to understand. I appreciate this civil dialogue and welcome any further discussion. Regards, Rick
Cheers Slainte!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts