Queets Closure

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Olympic National Park has conservation concerns for wild steelhead and is implementing in-season fishing regulation changes within park waters. Of particular concern is the forecasted low return of Queets River wild steelhead. The 2020-21 forecast for Queets wild steelhead is expected to be well below the escapement goal of 4,200 fish. Queets wild steelhead have failed to meet that escapement goal in each of the last four years and returns in recent years were among the lowest on record.

Fisheries within Olympic National Park are managed to provide a variety of fishing opportunities, allow for the harvest of hatchery steelhead, and protect wild steelhead populations.To better protect wild steelhead, Olympic National Park is implementing the following in-season changes:
  • Queets River:
    • Closes to recreational fishing on February 1, 2021;
    • The early sport fishing closure in the Queets River system is designed to allow for opportunity to harvest early timed hatchery steelhead while better protecting the wild run.
    • As of December 14, the use of bait is prohibited. Anglers must use artificial lure with a barbless single point hook.
  • Salmon River:
    • As of December 14, the use of bait is prohibited. Anglers must use artificial lure with a barbless single point hook.
  • Quillayute River: Closes to recreational fishing on April 1, 2021;
  • Dickey River mouth: Closes to recreational fishing on April 1, 2021;
  • Hoh River mouth: Closes to recreational fishing on April 1, 2021.
Anglers should note that fishing in the Hoh River system and the Bogachiel River within the park will remain open through April 15.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
This is disturbing. The NP has an escapement goal of 4,200 for the Queets, but the Quinault Tribe's escapement goal is around 2,400 as I recall. With the Tribe fishing downstream of the NP, the run will never make the NP's escapement goal, except by accident. Does this mean that the NP intends to close the Queets to recreational fishing forever more, in the futile hope of reaching an escapement goal that the treaty fishing Tribe doesn't support? Is the NP even aware of the conundrum?

fishbadger

Yeah I'm wondering if there's any conduit of communication between NPS and the QIN on the status of that steelhead fishery/nettery. WDFW may be that conduit, and if that's the best case scenario, then it might also be the worst case scenario.
fb

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
Really depressing. Queets was holding on for a while. Gonna be even worse driving over it and seeing all the nets all winter.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
This is disturbing. The NP has an escapement goal of 4,200 for the Queets, but the Quinault Tribe's escapement goal is around 2,400 as I recall. With the Tribe fishing downstream of the NP, the run will never make the NP's escapement goal, except by accident. Does this mean that the NP intends to close the Queets to recreational fishing forever more, in the futile hope of reaching an escapement goal that the treaty fishing Tribe doesn't support? Is the NP even aware of the conundrum?

With that big of difference between escapement goals, it sure indicates there isn’t much interaction between the NP and the tribe.
I’d be very surprised if it even hits that 2,400 number.
SF

Cougar Zeke

It looks like the last day the nets are scheduled to be in is January 15th: Tribal net schedules for coastal rivers | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

Of course there's always the cultural and other days they can net.....

And it looks like instead of netting from Sunday to Thursdays in past years, they're netting from Sunday to Friday now. I understand they are probably targeting Salmon River fish, but if 6 of 7 early wild fish die in the nets that doesn't help at all. It's obviously gonna be tough for the Queets Salmon and Steelhead runs with "co-managers" like that.

Last edited:

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Agreed. Only time the run has been below the tribes escapement in the past 40 years was 1996.

Sorry for the shitty graph and lines, made the chart on my cell phone and the escapement lines are drawn by hand on my phone....but you get the point. Red and pink lines are the different escapement goals. 1996 being the one year escapement touches the pink line.

Screenshot_20210113-085700~2.png

Dropping pucks

Olympic National Park has conservation concerns for wild steelhead and is implementing in-season fishing regulation changes within park waters. Of particular concern is the forecasted low return of Queets River wild steelhead. The 2020-21 forecast for Queets wild steelhead is expected to be well below the escapement goal of 4,200 fish. Queets wild steelhead have failed to meet that escapement goal in each of the last four years and returns in recent years were among the lowest on record.

Fisheries within Olympic National Park are managed to provide a variety of fishing opportunities, allow for the harvest of hatchery steelhead, and protect wild steelhead populations.To better protect wild steelhead, Olympic National Park is implementing the following in-season changes:
  • Queets River:
    • Closes to recreational fishing on February 1, 2021;
    • The early sport fishing closure in the Queets River system is designed to allow for opportunity to harvest early timed hatchery steelhead while better protecting the wild run.
  • Salmon River:
  • Quillayute River: Closes to recreational fishing on April 1, 2021;
  • Dickey River mouth: Closes to recreational fishing on April 1, 2021;
  • Hoh River mouth: Closes to recreational fishing on April 1, 2021.
Anglers should note that fishing in the Hoh River system and the Bogachiel River within the park will remain open through April 15.
GOTY,
curious on the last paragraph? Did the park share this? My experience is they coincide with WDFW regs and rules for the most part, with exception of the Queets and few un iconic streams

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts