Any recs for tying cabinet?

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I'm dressing up my tying bench and looking to replace the plastic containers I currently use for materials. Thinking something cool like an antique map cabinet. I also came across Gerster out of Ohio that could be cool.

96m0114_gerstnerlargechest_main_1.jpg

Any other ideas?

Merle

I'm dressing up my tying bench and looking to replace the plastic containers I currently use for materials. Thinking something cool like an antique map cabinet. I also came across Gerster out of Ohio that could be cool.

96m0114_gerstnerlargechest_main_1.jpg

Any other ideas?
Those style of boxes are cool but they sure fill up fast, especially with feather and fur packs. You need something like this:

Attachments

• A7A5A26A-3AB4-4C49-902D-18837BFF8651.jpeg
    A7A5A26A-3AB4-4C49-902D-18837BFF8651.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Those style of boxes are cool but they sure fill up fast, especially with feather and fur packs.

That's a good point. I have a fairly large collection and no way it is fitting in one of the Gerstners. So either I'm going to need multiple cabinets or find somethin different.

The search continues...

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I got a box similar to the one shown at harbor freight for $65. I doesn't hold everything, but most all the usual stuff, and it's easy to pack over to my sons. 20210113_042214.jpg

nwbobber

I'm working on building a tying bench in my shop with lots of drawers and shelves. One thing I'm working towards is keeping the airtight plastic boxes as part of the plan. Bugs are always part of the problem with feathers, and necks and saddles in a box without the plastic bags take up less room than keeping all the bags. I like the cabinet for things like thread, hooks, beads, and the like.

Dave Boyle

desk.jpg I love the idea of a beautiful cabinet but I'm a plastic box guy for now. Above are some of mine with others on the floor, etc. Affordable and I like to just be able to see stuff I'm looking for (i.e. not in a wooden drawer) and if it all comes tumbling down on me, it's just plastic boxes full of feathers/fur. A key point for me is the boxes are tightly sealed so less critter risk, a big wood cabinet needs to be bug proof just in case. I've had all my previous materials ruined by storing them in a lovely wooden carry case built by by grandfather...

I'll be keen to see what you end up with Swimmy, a fashion trend setter as always...

Dave

Buzzy

A few years back I was helping colleagues investigate moving some fish rearing to an abandoned hatchery. The workshop on this site had an old oak tap and die (or some such thing) cabinet collecting mouse turds. It was 'up for grabs' or heading to the landfill. Not sure what happened to it but you might find something along those lines. Cleaned up nice something like it would be an attractive piece of furniture (in the right man cave).

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
View attachment 267495 I love the idea of a beautiful cabinet but I'm a plastic box guy for now. Above are some of mine with others on the floor, etc. Affordable and I like to just be able to see stuff I'm looking for (i.e. not in a wooden drawer) and if it all comes tumbling down on me, it's just plastic boxes full of feathers/fur. A key point for me is the boxes are tightly sealed so less critter risk, a big wood cabinet needs to be bug proof just in case. I've had all my previous materials ruined by storing them in a lovely wooden carry case built by by grandfather...

I'll be keen to see what you end up with Swimmy, a fashion trend setter as always...

Dave
I have a beautiful old roll top like that. Came out of my office when we remodeled Mulligans Old Place about 1985. I'd moved it to my moms 'cause I was living in student housing at the U. Mom instantly adopted it, and fortunately I'm still waiting.

Dave Boyle

I have a beautiful old roll top like that. Came out of my office when we remodeled Mulligans Old Place about 1985. I'd moved it to my moms 'cause I was living in student housing at the U. Mom instantly adopted it, and fortunately I'm still waiting.
Well Tom, under your circumstances I have to wish you a long wait till you get to keep it :) I love mine. I finally got to using it really thanks to COVID, shit something good out of it. It cost me $20 with pick up in Bothell. A lot are much nicer but really no unit has enough room but the open space with leaves on either side makes it better than a std table IMHO.

Dave

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts