Any recs for tying cabinet?

Dave Boyle

Even something like this would be cool.

Davies_Fly-Tying-Desk.jpg
It’s very lovely of course but nah, I don’t like it from my perspective, a lot of stuff is too far out of reach and hidden, my memory is too crap to know what’s where.

Looks like an office in a museum. My aim would be to be like a fly shop where most stuff is visible and just ‘there’. I have loads of 3’fers because I don’t know what I have. Not a bad thing but I could have more different stuff...

Dave

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
For reference, here is what I'm working with now.

001(18).jpg

I'm still kicking around ideas. At first I thought about just adding a cabinet to get rid of the plastic.

Now I'm thinking of extending the pegboard from wall to wall and seeing if I can find a big desk that would fill the space with built in drawers like the one I posted above.

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
WFF Supporter
I am still working on getting a custom desk made, so most of my stuff starts in my "go" bags. But even with that my wife swears there is more stuff on my tying table than in a lot of fly shops she has been in, this is my only concern with getting it all paid y out and organized with labels. Hahahahah

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I am still working on getting a custom desk made, so most of my stuff starts in my "go" bags. But even with that my wife swears there is more stuff on my tying table than in a lot of fly shops she has been in, this is my only concern with getting it all paid y out and organized with labels. Hahahahah

Do you have plans drawn up?

CreekScrambler

All my stuff fits in one file cabinet drawer plus perhaps a shoebox. I must be doing it wrong. Some of these setups are positively palatial. I thought I was going overboard by considering loading my dubbing packs into a dispenser box.

You're going from an awesome tying station to an even more awesomer tying station, Swimmy. Good luck!

Seems like a fly tying station has relatively unique needs that aren't found in standard furniture. That probably explains the improvised systems and specialty/full custom furniture. The XL desk sample you posted is money.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I am having Kurt come over and build me one of these:

On a serious note; storage solutions are tough for fly tying. I really only tie streamers and have a closet full materials in plastic containers/peg board as well. I have thought about a “nicer” solution but I am pretty sure it just means I’d have plastic containers stacked all around and on top of said nicer solution.

Albula

swollen member
I work with this. All materials that are insect prone are kept in about 30 labeled plastic containers stored out of sight in a large closet devoted to wall shelves. When needed they come out of hiding. Tools, threads, adhesives and the like have a permanent home in the roll top desk. PC270136.jpg

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I work with this. All materials that are insect prone are kept in about 30 labeled plastic containers stored out of sight in a large closet devoted to wall shelves. When needed they come out of hiding. Tools, threads, adhesives and the like have a permanent home in the roll top desk. View attachment 267549

I want that spool organizer.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info