Any recs for tying cabinet?

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I couldn't connect either.
You and your wife could tow you trailer down here for a visit (we have plenty of room and a 30amp hook up) and take mine home with you. Poor vision and bi-lateral hand surgeries have all but ended my tying. I have tons of stuff!:(

That's extremely kind. Remind me where you live?

Thats the one for @Swimmy....
Styling, functional and matches the home decor.
;)

Take my money.
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

Speaking of, headed out to the lumber yard today. Got to pick through all of their slabs. They have some pretty special pcs in their collection.

001(23).jpg

001(22).jpg

I was leaning towards Doug Fir but the slabs they had to fit my space weren't my favorite. So I ended up with pc of Hemlock. The story is that it was from a log reclaimed out of the Columbia that was used in log barges back in the old days.

It has tight rings but also a bit of character. I think it will make for a great desk top.

001(20).jpg

The guy I'm working with also showed me part of their shop. Coincidentally they were working on another pc for a guy making a tying desk using black walnut. It was beautiful but that species is a bit out of my price range. This pc of wood came from Michigan.

001(21).jpg

Not sure if you can tell but there are some large timbers in the back left of the shop. They are for a country music star's house in Nashville. I guess they do work all over the country. He didn't feel comfortable telling me who but I really didn't care. Kind of cool though. I'd love to work in a shop like this.

I'm excited to see this project come together.

Speyrod GB

That piece of hemlock will be gorgeous once the finish is applied. Natural or stained finish? Epoxy fill?

The walnut is really pretty. Have to love a good slab of wood.

Guess I will have to stop by there once I get back into the area. Will need a dining room table once I get the new casa built.

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
Cannot recommend enough the Osmo brand of finishes....I particularly like the Poly-X Oil.

And while the tying table is finished and in use, I'm still a plastic bin user, something I intend to change. Been collecting live edge and other lumber to build a cabinet to store all the materials in. I use TheLumberShack.com, located in IA to source my wood. The local places want too much money for the same product, and aren't necessarily kiln dried. Very happy with their services and delivery.

Last edited:

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
Cannot recommend enough the Osmo brand of finishes....I particularly like the Poly-X Oil.

And while the tying table is finished and in use, I'm still a plastic bin user, something I intend to change. Been collecting live edge and other lumber to build a cabinet to store all the materials in. I use TheLumberShack.com, located in IA to source my wood. The local places want too much money for the same product, and aren't necessarily kiln dried. Very happy with their services and delivery.
And you're going to find that the legs for your table may cost as much as the wood!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
This would work if someone didn’t have a lot of space and wanted it out of site.
Not cheap though.
SF

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
That piece of hemlock will be gorgeous once the finish is applied. Natural or stained finish? Epoxy fill?

The walnut is really pretty. Have to love a good slab of wood.

Guess I will have to stop by there once I get back into the area. Will need a dining room table once I get the new casa built.

Epoxy fill then thinking a couple coats of poly.

Speaking of tables, they had a absolute spectacular table they were working on. Must have been an 8" thick black walnut slab that they cut in half as it was two pcs that were mirror image. The table was probably 10' in length and guessing 6' in width? He told me the wood was out of Oregon.

They were going to mount it on a metal frame they had fabricated. This thing was awesome and I regret not taking a photo.

tippet

hardcore flyfishing addict
My bad! It is flytyingfurniture.com I goofed it up and said flyfishingfurniture.com. Sorry!

Mark Walker

Thank you, Dave. I still put Tupperware containers in some of the drawers.

Swimmy, we're halfway between Phoenix and Flagstaff in the Prescott area off Hwy. 89.
Sedona is just over the hill to the east.

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
Epoxy fill then thinking a couple coats of poly.

Speaking of tables, they had a absolute spectacular table they were working on. Must have been an 8" thick black walnut slab that they cut in half as it was two pcs that were mirror image. The table was probably 10' in length and guessing 6' in width? He told me the wood was out of Oregon.

They were going to mount it on a metal frame they had fabricated. This thing was awesome and I regret not taking a photo.
Do your research on the epoxy fill and buy the right product for what you're doing. Look at depth of pour, working times, and cure times. I like the TotalBoat products. And they're more than happy to talk with you on the phone and help you get exactly what you need.

veilside180sx

There are various pre-fab’d metal legs you can buy or go the cabinets for legs idea.

Our go to growing up for desks was always solid core doors set on cabinets. Makes for a nice deep desk with good layout space, and you can get all of it second hand for relatively cheap.

Your live edge piece should turn out great.

Last edited:

quilbilly

Big Time Hater

Not made for fly tying specifically but for 200 bucks its a lot of desk and storage space...would work well.

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
WFF Supporter
Do you have plans drawn up?
Sorry, been busy. I don't have anything drawn up but I have had several "discussions" with my wife. My tying table is in our bedroom, and I absolutely have to be able to see outside while trying.
IMG_20210117_095110575_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210117_095132879.jpg

I have considered doing a slab, live edge top, longer than current table top, maybe from of my property. Then having cabinets under each end for storage. My idea is to have the cabinets built that would allow me to use my plastic storage trays (I take a lot of stuff with me, depending on trip length, so want to be able to grab tray/trays and go). I want the cabinets in rollers, so I can swing around when sitting at the desk/table.
IMG_20210121_111042424.jpg

I specifically fly and "stage" tie. So I pull out just what I am going to need, this also lends to storage drawers. (Similar to this for my gear stuff)
IMG_20210121_110903386.jpg
IMG_20210121_110913565.jpg

Old406Kid

Sorry, been busy. I don't have anything drawn up but I have had several "discussions" with my wife. My tying table is in our bedroom, and I absolutely have to be able to see outside while trying.
View attachment 268460
View attachment 268461

I have considered doing a slab, live edge top, longer than current table top, maybe from of my property. Then having cabinets under each end for storage. My idea is to have the cabinets built that would allow me to use my plastic storage trays (I take a lot of stuff with me, depending on trip length, so want to be able to grab tray/trays and go). I want the cabinets in rollers, so I can swing around when sitting at the desk/table.
View attachment 268464

I specifically fly and "stage" tie. So I pull out just what I am going to need, this also lends to storage drawers. (Similar to this for my gear stuff)
View attachment 268462
View attachment 268463
Dang, them's some funky lookin' fly reels you got. :rolleyes: :D:D:D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts