Any recs for tying cabinet?

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Still got a ways to go but she's coming along nicely.

001(83).JPG

The wood is absolutely gorgeous. My wife even commented that this will be an heirloom.

001(82).JPG

I'll post more pics as I get things better organized but I'm stoked.

BriGuy

001(83).JPG

The wood is absolutely gorgeous. My wife even commented that this will be an heirloom.

001(82).JPG

Oh oh. That means your wife has her eye on it will soon want it for an accent table somewhere else in the house. You'll soon get to replace it with the dusty old closet door in the back of the garage.

Merle

001(83).JPG

001(82).JPG

That looks terrific! What did you end up using for the finish?

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
That looks terrific! What did you end up using for the finish?
was going to ask the same question.

I talked to the guys at the shop about how to finish the slab. They said when working with epoxy and poly that it really helped to have a heated shop. It is dead of winter here and my garage hardly gets above 50 so I asked if they could help.

They used a wire brush on the edge to knock off and loose stuff, sanded to 40 grit, epoxied, and then sprayed 4 coats of poly. I'm not sure what brand they used but I could find out if anyone was really interested.

I'm glad I had them do it. I wouldn't have been able to get to it until late Spring. They charged me a couple hundred bucks and I think it is well worth it.

I'm going to try and finish things up tomorrow. I'll post more pics then once I get rid of all of the plastic and finally get it organized.

I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. So happy I went this direction instead of a standard pre-built desk. Last night I just sat for like two hours staring at the wood.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
A few years ago I built some modular cabinets and desktop for a small office we have in our house. The style is a knock off of ones sold by Pottery Barn and Ballard Design. I'm no cabinet maker, but my wife approved and it really optimized the space.
We each have our own corner workstation. There is quite a bit of room underneath the corner sections and I have big tupperware rollaways under each for addition storage.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.jpeg
    IMG_2511.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2875.jpg
    IMG_2875.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36

herkileez

WFF Supporter
I use a 6'h x 5'w wardrobe cabinet for storage of tying and rod building materials. I added shelves to the clothes hanger side to accommodate extra shelves. I'm a fan of plastic bins, which I label accordingly. With the doors closed, it gives the illusion of me being more organized than I actually am.
fly tying cabinet 1.jpg fly tying cabinet 2.jpg

Last edited:

Kristin Macy

Several years ago I got a bug display cabinet that I was able to repurpose as a fly tying materials cabinet. Thanks Rocky Hammond!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts