Big Storm

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Day 2 with no power. PSE has no estimate for repair. Other outages very near by are even bigger and caused by numerous down and broken poles. It will be lucky to have it back by Sunday.The good news is I will get a $50 credit off my electric bill. I would pay double that to get power today...

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
My home state used to lose power for 3-7 days, a few times a year. I don't just mean pockets of outages; literally the entire state would go dark, because all our power came from one interstate line. It was so bad that Elon Musk came in and built us the worlds largest lithium ion battery. It can always be worse, folks!

Merle

Day 2 with no power. PSE has no estimate for repair. Other outages very near by are even bigger and caused by numerous down and broken poles. It will be lucky to have it back by Sunday.The good news is I will get a $50 credit off my electric bill. I would pay double that to get power today...
We're in the same boat out in rural Pierce County / Buckley. ECD from PSE is Saturday 6am. Running on generator power all day from around 5am to 9pm which I figure costs about $2.50 / hour in fuel.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I always found it really bizarre that storm water and sewage are combined here. If a road floods from a backed up drain, you're basically driving through shit, right?

Gadabout_Trout

On south Whidbey it was windier than usual - lost power at about 12:45am Wednesday morning, lost a fir tree across the driveway at about 3:30am. Power came on at about 10am this morning. I'd been running the generator for two hours with four hour breaks in between just to keep the refrigerators and freezer cold.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Our power went out SW of Puyallup at 12:25 AM Wednesday. The small mutual electric company had us up at 0322. My weather station log shows the wind peaked at 11:59 PM; just 5 mph before the power went down. I know it was blowing because the big wind chimes outside the bedroom window were serenading us and we heard stuff moving around on the deck. I had the garbage and recycle cans out and had to pick up cans and paper over spread over 100 ft through the yard and up the street. No damage to my ham radio antenna, no trees down on the property, but a lot of small branches to pick up.

Dave Boyle

I always found it really bizarre that storm water and sewage are combined here. If a road floods from a backed up drain, you're basically driving through shit, right?
I think they ‘come together’ in the main stem, i.e. the huge pipes that collect all from storm drains and homes. Road drains are primary collection points and so just run off if blocked or it’s water that can’t be drained. That said I could totally wrong. If the was a big backflow from the main stem then that could be quite different.

I guess we are stuck with it unless we spent huge $$$ on giant containment lagoons to hold excess run off till it can be processed. Pump failure is inexcusable though but I bet they’d ‘let it flow’ anyway as every really big storm we have this happens.

Dave

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Power out for 36 hours here, and cable and internet were sketchy with off and on most of today as well. Hardly ever use my generator, so I had to dig through the garage and move a couple dozen other things to get at it and then roll it out (it's 200 pounds, too heavy to carry, so I built a little 2x6 frame with castors to move it on) into the breezeway where I can plug it into the service panel. So that keeps the refrigerator, freezer, fireplace fan, and a couple lights going. Couldn't use the range or microwave though, so Mrs. Salmo brought home some Thai take out from Lemon Grass. Gonna' have the leftovers tonight.

I walked around the lake this afternoon and must have heard 9 generators running, so apparently not everyone got their power restored.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts