Big Storm

JayB

Last time this happened they just magically didn't turn on. The same thing happens a lot in silverdale
I don't want to make this thread political but this brings up a couple of quasi-political thoughts.

The first is that if a hypothetical hog-farm with a giant sewage lagoon were located on the sound and had multi-million gallon blowouts every couple of years, I have to think there'd be quite a bit of very-justified outrage from local politicians, along with hefty fines and mandatory remediation, redesigns, etc. That's all as it should be, but the fact that this happens on a regular basis, and the response seems to be the political/operational equivalent of a "What are ya gonna do?" shrug is astonishing.

The second is that there seems to be an incrementally diminishing capacity of the folks charged with maintaining the physical infrastructure necessary to keep Seattle functioning. Has anyone lost their job over the West Seattle Bridge debacle? The continuous sewage blowouts? Has the Mayor or anyone on the city council made a pledge to divert at least some of their attention away from global/social crusades and focus on humdrum issues like potholes, bridges, safe-and-orderly public spaces, etc?

Or am I being overly critical of our local politicians because contrary to my perception, debacles like this are a regular feature of state-and-local government performance in states that have a reputation for relatively competent and efficient local government, like New Hampshire or Utah?

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Generators are notoriously unreliable, even more so when they're not maintained. We had a generator on a site that was well maintained and worked fine. Our transfer switch was the weak link and didn't switch over.
Interestingly enough we don't often (if ever) hear about the generator at a prison (for example) not kicking on. Sewage treatment plants though, yep, a few times a year.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Interestingly enough we don't often (if ever) hear about the generator at a prison (for example) not kicking on. Sewage treatment plants though, yep, a few times a year.
Are you saying we should send our sewage to the prisons?

If you read the article from post #22 of the thread you will discover several things.

Yes, they have generators.
Some times there is just too much water.

The overflows — composed of 80% stormwater and 20% sewage — come from the West Point Treatment Plant in Seattle, the Richmond Beach pump station in Shoreline, and another pump station in Medina.

“Large volumes of rainfall throughout the day and into the night exceeded the capacity of the Richmond Beach pump station, and the volume of flow through the Medina Pump Station overwhelmed the station as it transitioned from line power to generator power and back to utility power,” the county described in a news release.

Outages had 17 of King County’s 48 pump stations running on generator power before they were able to fully return to their primary utility power sources.

Dave Boyle

It all comes down to $$$, would King Co. residents pay extra taxes to buy land and build giant lagoons for such 'temporary' events? I doubt it. Somewhat ironically, I think one of the big plants is in/by Magnolia, an area where most could easily afford to pay more taxes but a giant shit lagoon in their backyard? Hell would freeze over I'd bet before that was allowed. Don't really know the neighborhood but I've heard they don't even have many above ground power cables to enhance the local aesthetic :)

So the cheap option is always going to be 'let 'er blow', regardless of the generator issue 'cause really if they get a huge slug of water/sewage it's go to go somewhere other than backing up the pipes and onto the streets as was noted earlier.

Dave

sroffe

Generators are notoriously unreliable, even more so when they're not maintained. We had a generator on a site that was well maintained and worked fine. Our transfer switch was the weak link and didn't switch over.
I think mission critical sites like Hospitals and Data Centers will have multiple generators, and spend good money on maintenance so they will run when needed.

Mostly its about how much a owner is willing to invest in keeping the generator operating. Starter Batteries, good fuel, regular run time and testing are all important in keeping backup generators going, and that takes money.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler

Merle

I think mission critical sites like Hospitals and Data Centers will have multiple generators, and spend good money on maintenance so they will run when needed.

Mostly its about how much a owner is willing to invest in keeping the generator operating. Starter Batteries, good fuel, regular run time and testing are all important in keeping backup generators going, and that takes money.
I learned this the hard way this storm. I have a 10kW Generac that has electric start only. I hadn't used it in over a year and the battery was dead as a stone. No problem I'll jumpt start it off my deep cycle trolling motor battery, that also hadn't been used in over a year, maybe two. No luck there. Finally I was able to jumpt start it off my 4-wheeler battery but it was a major pain to do in the dark with a headlamp.

tallguy

I don't want to make this thread political but this brings up a couple of quasi-political thoughts.

The first is that if a hypothetical hog-farm with a giant sewage lagoon were located on the sound and had multi-million gallon blowouts every couple of years, I have to think there'd be quite a bit of very-justified outrage from local politicians, along with hefty fines and mandatory remediation, redesigns, etc. That's all as it should be, but the fact that this happens on a regular basis, and the response seems to be the political/operational equivalent of a "What are ya gonna do?" shrug is astonishing.

The second is that there seems to be an incrementally diminishing capacity of the folks charged with maintaining the physical infrastructure necessary to keep Seattle functioning. Has anyone lost their job over the West Seattle Bridge debacle? The continuous sewage blowouts? Has the Mayor or anyone on the city council made a pledge to divert at least some of their attention away from global/social crusades and focus on humdrum issues like potholes, bridges, safe-and-orderly public spaces, etc?

Or am I being overly critical of our local politicians because contrary to my perception, debacles like this are a regular feature of state-and-local government performance in states that have a reputation for relatively competent and efficient local government, like New Hampshire or Utah?

Most people want things for free or cheap. Civilization costs money, and there doesn't actually seem to be a ton of broad based support across our population to maintain our civilization.

Don't stress though, our children and grandchildren will take care of it. In time.

sroffe

I learned this the hard way this storm. I have a 10kW Generac that has electric start only. I hadn't used it in over a year and the battery was dead as a stone. No problem I'll jumpt start it off my deep cycle trolling motor battery, that also hadn't been used in over a year, maybe two. No luck there. Finally I was able to jumpt start it off my 4-wheeler battery but it was a major pain to do in the dark with a headlamp.
Ouch! my comments were directed toward commercial installation. But, as you well learned home generators need the same love.

I have a couple Honda portable generators. I was fretting trying to start them after a few months of being idle. Fortunately there was non ethanol fuel in them, they started after more than a few pulls, but they did start and run. It was very important to keep the coffe pot, internet, and refrigerator going on Wednesday.

BriGuy

Ouch! my comments were directed toward commercial installation. But, as you well learned home generators need the same love.

I have a couple Honda portable generators. I was fretting trying to start them after a few months of being idle. Fortunately there was non ethanol fuel in them, they started after more than a few pulls, but they did start and run. It was very important to keep the coffe pot, internet, and refrigerator going on Wednesday.
I usually use starting fluid to start my Honda generator after a year of sitting. Remove the air cleaner, spray a little down the carb, choke it and pull the starter rope. It usually fires right up. I reinstall the air cleaner while it is running. After the first run, it starts up without problems until I put it away again.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Day 2 with no power. PSE has no estimate for repair. Other outages very near by are even bigger and caused by numerous down and broken poles. It will be lucky to have it back by Sunday.The good news is I will get a $50 credit off my electric bill. I would pay double that to get power today...

Update - day 4. Power just came on. WARM heat is luxury!. PSE came through! Lots of food in refrigerator and freeze that will be thrown away.. But my wife hates generators and the noise. Long story but happy wife...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts