Boobie Beach USA

dp

~El Pescador
these are on a size 10 hook.
first timer, so was not sure of size.
but super easy to tie.
and I added some weight so they should not float.
guess I need to go test them on the water soon

Dave Boyle

these are on a size 10 hook.
first timer, so was not sure of size.
but super easy to tie.
and I added some weight so they should not float.
guess I need to go test them on the water soon
The point of them is that they float well, not adding large enough foam eyes is a common issue. When I try a new version of one I drop it into a glass to be sure it floats like a cork. Their action in the water is essentially the opposite of a clouser, fish on a type6+ and a 2' leader, strip line and the fly goes down in the water column a bit and then floats up in the pause between strips.

Dave

Buzzy

The point of them is that they float well, not adding large enough foam eyes is a common issue. When I try a new version of one I drop it into a glass to be sure it floats like a cork. Their action in the water is essentially the opposite of a clouser, fish on a type6+ and a 2' leader, strip line and the fly goes down in the water column a bit and then floats up in the pause between strips.

Dave
I agree that your definition of a "boobie" fly is a floating fly but hey, why not a weighted sinking boobie fly? Blobs, in my way of thinking, are a spinoff from the boobie craze and my blobs sink. ;-)

Dave Boyle

I agree that your definition of a "boobie" fly is a floating fly but hey, why not a weighted sinking boobie fly? Blobs, in my way of thinking, are a spinoff from the boobie craze and my blobs sink. ;-)
Aye, well, some of my blobs float :p There is also the F.A.B., aka the fat arsed blob that combines the aesthetic beauty of the blob :cool: and the 'floatiness' of the booby by using a foam 'tail'.

The ascent or is it really the descent of the fugly attactor fly is only just beginning :)

Dave

tackleman

my first crack at tying these things.
plenty of room for improvement

dp
Wow! That’s such a natural design for beach fishing it’s amazing it wasn’t done sooner! Good on you for posting it here! Back to the bench!!

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
The blobs and FOBs stemmed from the banning of boobies in international competitions. The rules definitions only banned use of the floating at the front so they simply moved it to the back.

Boobies are also sometimes fished static, which I don’t encourage because that leads to deep hooking, unless you are using big eyes and a big hook. That is also why they were designed to float.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts