Sage switch rod handle

jfilip85

I have an old 8113 RPL which was the original sage "switch" rod. The bottom grip is horrendous though and I'd like to swap it out with something else.

Would love to use the bottom grip from the X series. Does Sage ever sell their components to rod builders? My gut says no....

veilside180sx

While this is true, I'll just add that MudHole sells top/bottom grips that are very similar to the X handles for not much money. But if you have a lathe setup and you don't do this yourself...

Any power wrapper can be used as a lathe as well. Even a power drill clamped in a vise will do a butt.

If a commercial one fits what they want...then by all means go the easiest route.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
If you have a local rod builder, he can bang one off exactly to your specs very reasonably. A pre-built one may wind up looking like an add-on. I just did one for a fellow for free...just find someone like me in your area...:)

tomL

If you have a local rod builder, he can bang one off exactly to your specs very reasonably. A pre-built one may wind up looking like an add-on. I just did one for a fellow for free...just find someone like me in your area...:)
Even if you have him doing it by mailing it to him it is worth it. A+ job.

Mind you, it probably not free for you.

Tom

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
Have you considered sanding the current handle down a hair to take the surface oils off and then use cork putty to fill in any gaps, re-sand and then seal?

jfilip85

Thanks for the help, all. Going to send it to a rod builder to form a new bottom handle.

Just to clarify, it's the size and length of the bottom handle I'd like to change, not the current condition of it.

spoonplugger1

Sage never built a switch rod till a long time after switch rod development. The original switch rods were 9 ft. 9 inches long, expanding them to 11 ft just made them underhand dominant spey rods. That said it seems from a rod builder's point of view you will have to move the reel seat and foregrip back also to achieve what you want, a gap between the shorter rear grip and reel seat won't change a thing. I'd look at a 4 1/4" rear grip and a 12 " foregrip length.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Sage does not sell their components. I tried last year to buy a simple fighting butt that is no more than an inch long for an XP and they refused because it would then be a "modified rod" and have no warranty. Fortunately for me, I found a builder who uses the same components and I have a new butt on the rod for less than $20 installed. It looks like a new rod.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts