Identification?

Kfish

WFF Supporter
It does look like an egg sack of some kind... Maybe part of a jellyfish that broke off?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Whale booger? Hard to tell without scale or location. Are the bends real (i.e., permanent) or just because its position on the deck. There is jellyplankton all across the animal kingdom in the ocean. I'll ruminate on it and see what rises to the top.
Steve

Steve,
Found near Dana Pt California.
Here are a couple other pictures the gentleman who found it posted.
SF

664FF9DA-8C10-4352-84C9-E1F44F6CF641.jpeg D71D5D6A-DA20-4976-9C2C-7C8F4B7A9A4C.jpeg

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Hi SF,
It might be a chaetognath: clear cylindrical body, small eyes, small mouth (orange structure) at the narrow end). But those pictures show an organism that is chunkier than what I associate with chaetognaths and I really can't see the jaws that should be present in that orange thing (if it is the head). More cogitation.
Steve

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Hi SF,
It might be a chaetognath: clear cylindrical body, small eyes, small mouth (orange structure) at the narrow end). But those pictures show an organism that is chunkier than what I associate with chaetognaths and I really can't see the jaws that should be present in that orange thing (if it is the head). More cogitation.
Steve
I may have to consult Ms. Cabezon, who is also a marine biologist. [Why couldn't you have a picture of a colorful sculpin for me to identify???];)
Steve

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts