Ambushed on the Stillaguamish River

Zoomer

I just talked with a Sno Co Sheriff's officer who was in the parking lot at C-Post testing a drone. He wasn't on duty the day of the incident and hadn't heard about it. He said he'd inquire to get the details. He lives just a couple miles up the highway. He also said that there has been lots of break ins there, and alluded to other sketchy stuff but didn't give details.
I just live a few miles from there myself so this concerns me. I've only parked there a couple of times (actually I parked down by the gate, not where the parking lot is now) since it was gated. One of those times was with my wife.
Did you get the Deputy’s name? Sno Cty Sheriff, WDFW and Snohomish County Parks and Rec (the parking lot is owned by them plus DNR) have an open investigation ongoing

Zoomer

I just talked with a Sno Co Sheriff's officer who was in the parking lot at C-Post testing a drone. He wasn't on duty the day of the incident and hadn't heard about it. He said he'd inquire to get the details. He lives just a couple miles up the highway. He also said that there has been lots of break ins there, and alluded to other sketchy stuff but didn't give details.
I just live a few miles from there myself so this concerns me. I've only parked there a couple of times (actually I parked down by the gate, not where the parking lot is now) since it was gated. One of those times was with my wife.
I can personally attest to the break ins. My truck window was smashed out not far from C-post awhile back.

But... being shot at takes this to a whole new level.

My heart breaks for you that had to go through this.
Thank you - your heartbreak should be for all of us who have to deal with this dangerous bullying and harassment. A whole new level is right.

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
As a steelheader and bird hunter (so gun owner- just shotguns, I don't pack) this pisses me off. Their friggin stupid ass Molon Labe bumper sticker is the first indication. These ass wipes should be the first in line for us to "come take em". They don't deserve gun ownership. They don't deserve a fishing or hunting license, if they actually even paid for it.

These are the very types that give true sportsmen (and women) a bad name. Imagine the same idiots out in the the pheasant fields or mule deer breaks. These are the same type of bastards that shoot lob shots during duck season to get you to move. I've been lobbed at in Snohomish and Whatcom county. I had to convince my buddy not to go fight with them. He didn't fully understand their possible level of belligerence. These types have no true regard for human life so they should be rung up.
I got money that one, or both, have a warrant out on them. And I bet one, or both, have expired license because they didn't pay a dumb $100 ticket or, more likely, got a DUI.

Just some advice. If you see someone like this and if doesn't feel right....it's not. Pretty sure I've avoided something similar a couple times because I just got the hell outta there. And for the record...it's always friggin Western Wa. Not sure what it is, but the wet side is WAY sketchier than the eastside.

I'm in the south end, but I'll keep my eyes open for a 2002 Dark gray Silverado Ext. Cab and 2016 White Toyota Corolla with dumbass stickers.

Stay safe!
Since it has been reported then its on Law Enforcement to do something about this. All this Crap has been going on far too long. I am very worried that police & sheriff are going to start acting like Seattle PD that do Nothing about crime AT All ! My opinion is they need to take some time and patrol boat launches, parking spots, trail heads, etc. put up trail cams. I don’t care. There are too many sketchy parking areas that even if you are packing I would still be nervous about going to. And that is total BS folks. That is the Criminals running the county not law abiding citizens. We should Demand that the Law Enforcement take these matters seriously and not cough up a bunch of excuses. And yes i had my truck broken into on the Snohomish in known bad spot according to the police.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Since it has been reported then its on Law Enforcement to do something about this. All this Crap has been going on far too long. I am very worried that police & sheriff are going to start acting like Seattle PD that do Nothing about crime AT All ! My opinion is they need to take some time and patrol boat launches, parking spots, trail heads, etc. put up trail cams. I don’t care. There are too many sketchy parking areas that even if you are packing I would still be nervous about going to. And that is total BS folks. That is the Criminals running the county not law abiding citizens. We should Demand that the Law Enforcement take these matters seriously and not cough up a bunch of excuses. And yes i had my truck broken into on the Snohomish in known bad spot according to the police.
And yet here we are defunding the police...

Chris Johnson

About 25 yrs ago I was fishing up river from there and on my way back I stopped at Hazel. There was a guy there with a fly rod so I stopped and asked him if he'd found anything. He told me that he was hiking up river and as he came around the corner he saw two fishermen, one of which had a fish on. As he continued up stream he saw one of the guys reach into his coat and pull out a gun and say "Keep coming if you want some of this." He high booted it out of there, and so did I.

Zoomer

I lost some of my freedom last Saturday. It is so disturbing to think I almost lost my life over a fishing hole. I am not backing down on this - it must be stopped. There are now three agencies investigating. I going to do all I can to prevent this from happening to someone else.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I lost some of my freedom last Saturday. It is so disturbing to think I almost lost my life over a fishing hole. I am not backing down on this - it must be stopped. There are now three agencies investigating. I going to do all I can to prevent this from happening to someone else.
I think you should post those license plate numbers here as a public service so if we see them we can at least be forewarned.

dustinchromers

I'm deeply sorry for you this happened. I commend that you are pushing on it. As a gun owner who rarely if ever packs and someone who has had a gun pointed at them in a nefarious manner in three occasions I understand a little of the feelings you're having. I've never been shot at and can only imagine the range of emotions I'd feel, mainly rage and that my freedom to feel reasonably safe was tread upon in the most offensive way. I'm very happy to hear you are not going to stop fishing the area or let the shooter permanently take your sense of safety from you. Please keep us updated as to the outcome of this. The police are often less interested in a case where all is well that ends well. And they are accustomed to things like this and perhaps desensitised. For you I'm sure this is a watershed event as it would be for me. Keep the wheels squeaking and hopefully you will get some results. You never know if that person may escalate to actually hitting a person. Your event and a subsequent arrest may save someone and their family allot of future pain. I have two relatives that were shot and killed while bird hunting by a paranoid meth lab land owner. They were not on their property but in the area more than a mile from their land. They were shot and killed with high power rifles at distance in an open field without cover by a father and son duo and they themselves were father and son. The murderers are in prison now and my family members are dead. Your story served as a reminder of the fact that perhaps these killers likely started with smaller stuff like your situation. Serial killers often start by abusing animals ect then escalate. Again keep on it as you never know if you are saving someone or yourself future pain by idiots like this that run free unchecked.

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
Guys this is why we All need to be outright Loud and not let up with complaining and letting Law Enforcement know we are Not going to stop until they get off their butts and do something. Plus letting our state representatives know too. And we can all watch out for each other when we’re at the river, lake, sound. I have thought about stopping in at the local cop shop and putting in my complaints like in Sultan, Gold Bar, Darrington, etc. I don’t want to start packing but it maybe time to do so ?

Buzzy

Guys this is why we All need to be outright Loud and not let up with complaining and letting Law Enforcement know we are Not going to stop until they get off their butts and do something. Plus letting our state representatives know too. And we can all watch out for each other when we’re at the river, lake, sound. I have thought about stopping in at the local cop shop and putting in my complaints like in Sultan, Gold Bar, Darrington, etc. I don’t want to start packing but it maybe time to do so ?
Gunfights at the Fortson Hole? No thanks.

@Zoomer - truly sorry for your traumatic experience. Be well, be safe. And thank you for your persistence and sharing.

LilCutts

Semper Doodle
WFF Supporter
Perhaps several of us could go as a group someday to the Stilly. After 40 years of fishing that river I think it will be a long time til I go back. Stay safe @Freestone
I was there two days ago and I'm going back tomorrow with a friend. I will keep going back until I see these guys and get their plates. Be careful everyone. This river belongs to ALL of us.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts