Ambushed on the Stillaguamish River

LilCutts

Semper Doodle
WFF Supporter
I thought that the C-Post road was gated off. You learn a lot from reading here and not being there.
Yeah, it's gated so you can't drive across. There is no signage at the gate. There are parking lots before you get to the gate; everyone walks around the gate and down the road to the river. It's public land.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Yeah, it's gated so you can't drive across. There is no signage at the gate. There are parking lots before you get to the gate; everyone walks around the gate and down the road to the river. It's public land.
Next time you cross the bridge keep in mind that I dropped my Buck's Bag pontoon boat from that bridge to launch it. It worked so well I dropped my buddy's 60 seconds later.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
This is beyond screwed up. Some frickin people man. I've been personally sketched out of fishing a lot of my favorite steelhead water this year, and everytime I tell myself "nothin's gonna happen" I hear one of these stories. Sorry that you had to experience such crazy BS. No worse feeling than not feeling safe.
The Stilly breeds this shit man. Fuck, that whole valley and the one just east of it does. I've seen and heard of more sketchy folks there than anywhere. And poachers. Lots of "fuck the rules, and fuck you" types.
On another non-firearm note, I talked to a guy this year who said fishing was "incredible for wild steelhead on this stilly this summer, and NOBODY else was fishing!" He knew it was illegal too. But, y'know. Personal liberties.

Hopefully these people get reprimanded and punished. It's attempted murder ffs.

DanielOcean

Wasn't there a tweaker who shot at Dan Ocean years ago on the Cascade? What ever happened on that?
After probably a month going by, 2 outgoing calls per week, and zero returned from the authorities I gave up. After experiencing something like that, and also hearing about wolf sightings I now carry a Glock 45 9mm when I head out off the grid alone. As a disclaimer, I do not carry while also looking or hoping for trouble. Its more 98 % animal protection 2% tweeker protection. You always hear big talk by some folks out there saying that if it happens again they will be ready and will shoot back. I honestly cannot say that. Reason why is because when that happened to me personally, ill be honest, I froze or clammed up if you will. I am not some ex military that has that training or experience to be able to "handle" combat. The only part that I can control is how safe I am with a weapon, respect it, and practice with it so the muscle memory is there. I guess what I am getting at is that I do not advocate anyone buying a fire arm in an emotional state. Its a pretty serious responsibility.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I have fished with a few from this site that carry a weapon on themselves . Macrowdy is one of them. He carried a automatic at all times. A few on here know him and have fished with him. One crazy red head.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I'm still mad as hell that the road is gated. That nice concrete bridge was built with public tax dollars. We should be able to drive over that bridge, and not just to access the river. There are hiking and backpacking trailheads that go up in the Mt Higgens area.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
I'm still mad as hell that the road is gated. That nice concrete bridge was built with public tax dollars. We should be able to drive over that bridge, and not just to access the river. There are hiking and backpacking trailheads that go up in the Mt Higgens area.
The view from atop Mt Higgins is tough to beat.

It's a tough hike as I recall, too! I hiked it back in the late 70's on a warm September day with a buddy that grew up up there.

That bridge is ours... it belongs to all of us and shouldn't be gated.

CreekScrambler

The Stilly breeds this shit man. Fuck, that whole valley and the one just east of it does. I've seen and heard of more sketchy folks there than anywhere. And poachers. Lots of "fuck the rules, and fuck you" types.
On another non-firearm note, I talked to a guy this year who said fishing was "incredible for wild steelhead on this stilly this summer, and NOBODY else was fishing!" He knew it was illegal too. But, y'know. Personal liberties.

Hopefully these people get reprimanded and punished. It's attempted murder ffs.
When "personal liberties" starts bleeding into blatant anarchy and/or disregard for human life, it's definitely time for some repercussions. Can't have attempted murder shrugged off on the regular or we're not really a lawful society anymore. Dan Ocean's Cascade thread is one I looked over after seeing this one. Eye-opening stuff, for sure.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
When "personal liberties" starts bleeding into blatant anarchy and/or disregard for human life, it's definitely time for some repercussions. Can't have attempted murder shrugged off on the regular or we're not really a lawful society anymore. Dan Ocean's Cascade thread is one I looked over after seeing this one. Eye-opening stuff, for sure.

Not to derail anything... but you don't really hear about politicians trying to fix this stuff either. Outside of outdoor forums where do you hear this shit? I don't know how to fix it, or if it's even fixable. But it really is anarchy once you get past the population centers. Very few police officers out there, response time is long for those who are... and enough lawless folk who don't give an F to add a huge element of risk to everything.
Another personal anecdote to show my point. This year on the Upper Skykomish I was walking along the side of the road back to my parked rig. First off, there was this house off the side of the road, blaring music, could hear hootin' and hollerin'... and emanating from the house was this smell that I can only describe as "methy". I've got no idea what meth smells like, but I thought to myself "that's for SURE meth". Then this car comes zooming up the road, and just as it blows by me, one of the passengers fires a handgun out the window, pretty much point blank. Not aimed at me, but straight up in the air.

I find myself gravitating more to fishing experiences that remove "has my rig been broken into" "this guy seems off, how should I approach this" and "This feels suuuuuper sketchy" from my mental stream of thoughts.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
After probably a month going by, 2 outgoing calls per week, and zero returned from the authorities I gave up. After experiencing something like that, and also hearing about wolf sightings I now carry a Glock 45 9mm when I head out off the grid alone. As a disclaimer, I do not carry while also looking or hoping for trouble. Its more 98 % animal protection 2% tweeker protection. You always hear big talk by some folks out there saying that if it happens again they will be ready and will shoot back. I honestly cannot say that. Reason why is because when that happened to me personally, ill be honest, I froze or clammed up if you will. I am not some ex military that has that training or experience to be able to "handle" combat. The only part that I can control is how safe I am with a weapon, respect it, and practice with it so the muscle memory is there. I guess what I am getting at is that I do not advocate anyone buying a fire arm in an emotional state. Its a pretty serious responsibility.
Well said, Daniel.

DrHare

The Coho King
It is with great SADNESS I must report that at dawn Saturday, January 16 my husband and I were shot at in the parking lot of C-Post on the NF of the Stillaguamish River as we were preparing to swing flies. We are OK and police and WDFW were contacted. Against my better judgement I insisted on going back to the same fishing spot I had issues days prior being bullied out of the run there. It's one of my favorite runs. Only two gear fishers were there when we arrived. They left for the river as we were putting our waders on. Within minutes three rounds were fired at us from their direction - one at our feet, spraying us with gravel. I’ve fished the Stilly for decades - I love that river. In all my years fishing I have never experienced anything like this. Further information avail to any that fish this area. No words to describe how frightening this was. Please be safe, be aware, be careful. I am beyond sad. It has come to light that other fishers have had similar incidents with these same men/vehicles.
I would report to the Stillaguamish DNR or PD. They have a F&WL officer who would have more time to help. Tribe owns several large parcels along N Fork and looking at more for restoration. They don't typically prevent public fishing, so wondering if on or near land they own. Can you message me where this C-Post is located.Preferably a parcel number.

JayB

Amen to that. It's hard to imagine anyone less qualified to be trafficking in advice than me, but one of the primary messages that I took away was that if I carried I'd be very well advised to be far more vigilant about avoiding dangerous confrontations in the first place, and doing everything humanly possible to de-escalate and get out of the situation if that failed.

Suits me well since as someone who was a very late bloomer (like 5' tall and 80lbs when I was 14) I raised avoiding needless confrontations and finding ways to GTFO to a high art.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info