NFR Covid Vaccines

doublebluff

Go Beavs
Peyton- I don't read Fauci's comments in that way. I think his current message is that the vaccine will still work against the variants.

In the future, large-scale vaccination will probably select for variants that will grow in vaccinated people, and this will almost certainly need to be addressed, quickly. But at present, I don't think the known variants are less susceptible to the vaccine in a practical sense.

There are certainly a very wide variety of variants in the covid virus sequence, both known and not yet known. Viruses create variants all the time- as a rule. This is especially true for RNA-based viruses. For example, in a single early-stage HIV-infected individual, there are likely variants at every single base pair in the 9,00 base pair viral genome.

Remember in the evolutionary world, in all creatures, mutations (variations) occur all the time. This is then followed by selection, leading to survival of the fittest.

doublebluff

Go Beavs
We had a seminar here yesterday (via zoom, of course!) by a fella named Pieter Cullis of the University of British Columbia. He talked about the technological development of the current covid vaccine. Back in the 1980's there was a group of lipid chemists that were trying to understand membranes. They identified odd lipid variants that made membranes do weird things. Long story short- this evolved into the packaging strategy for the RNA in the available Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Without the packaging, these vaccines would not exist and the vaccines in use would be very different. This is a great example of how basic science can and does often lead to important discoveries that no one really thought about before. Another example... Experts in coronavirus biology were certainly not at the forefront in human medicine until SARS became a problem and then a disaster in this century.

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
We had a seminar here yesterday (via zoom, of course!) by a fella named Pieter Cullis of the University of British Columbia. He talked about the technological development of the current covid vaccine. Back in the 1980's there was a group of lipid chemists that were trying to understand membranes. They identified odd lipid variants that made membranes do weird things. Long story short- this evolved into the packaging strategy for the RNA in the available Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Without the packaging, these vaccines would not exist and the vaccines in use would be very different. This is a great example of how basic science can and does often lead to important discoveries that no one really thought about before. Another example... Experts in coronavirus biology were certainly not at the forefront in human medicine until SARS became a problem and then a disaster in this century.
I took biochem from Pieter back in the early 80's, he was a good teacher, and at the forefront of lipid biochemistry even back then. He's lookin' a little older, though aren't we all?

Cheers

up2nogood

Also, if you do end up getting vaccinated, please still continue to social distance and wear a mask! Thank you!

I got an appointment yesterday here in Utah for next Thursday for the 70 plus crowd for my first shot. We will continue to do what we have been doing for the past several months, masks, social distancing etc.

RLMadison

Yesterday a family friend had texted and said Franciscan had just gotten 60,000 doses. Jumped on the site and while appointment times were disappearing faster than I could refresh, I managed to get one this afternoon. Have to drive to Lakewood to get it - but small hassle for a big benefit.

And will continue to wear a mask and social distance until the herd is immune.

Last edited:

jwg

The federal program only tells the state a week at time how many doses they will get.

So I expect medical systems will be opening vaccination clinics for a day or two, suddenly, when they know their supply each week.

It may be good to know their signup websites and check frequently, if you are eligible now.

J

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
The federal program only tells the state a week at time how many doses they will get.

So I expect medical systems will be opening vaccination clinics for a day or two, suddenly, when they know their supply each week.

It may be good to know their signup websites and check frequently, if you are eligible now.

J
The trick is to know exactly, and I mean down to the second, when they will update their page.

RLMadison

The trick is to know exactly, and I mean down to the second, when they will update their page.
Absolutely. I opened the page and it was filled with appointment times at two different locations. But each time I clicked it on a time, it wasn't available. Refreshing the page showed disappearing times - so I went out to a late afternoon appointment and got one. This is madness.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
If you are in Washington and have insurance through Multicare, you can go to “My chart”;and schedule an appointment. My wife and I scheduled about a week ago. We had our first of two shots of Moderna this morning and were able to schedule our second shot at the same appointment. It was one of the smoothest clinical sessions I have ever had. The shot was no problem though I haven’t made it to the point where I might have side affects yet. Ya gotta get it done.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I've tried a several times to book appointments for Mrs Brian & I starting with the DoH provider page. Without someone providing "insider trading" level info we're screwed. I get about 3 emails a week from the VA saying they're proactively contacting & scheduling Veterans for appointments who have registered to get the vaccine. So far I think that's the Miller's best bet.

Albula

swollen member
I was given the first dose of the Moderna vaccine today at a county vaccine event in the high school gym here in PA. I would guess there were at least 50 volunteers staffing the effort directing traffic, getting everyone organized, parked, paperwork done and called in from the vehicle when appropriate. It was truly impressive to see the commitment and degree of organization put forth by a small town. The entire experience could not, I believe, been run more smoothly. Hats off to all involved, the good old US of A at its best. Can't help but guess where we would now be if the federal response over the last year was directed by someone with the same conviction and dedication as these small-town volunteers.

jwg

Agreed.
Hoping for a good experience getting the second shot appointment squared away.

People I know who got their shot this last week are reporting a day or two fatigue/malaise.

J

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts