NFR Covid Vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfnfish

shingles vaccine felt like some wound up with an oar and smacked me. First jab of Phizer produced a mildly sore arm, second jab hardly any soreness at all.

Regarding vax deniers in a 'safer' demographic. Less about them and more about possibly being asymptomatic yet contagious and exposing family, friends and strangers in a higher risk demographic.

Had a vaccine conversation with a friend, older ex-vet like myself, on the fence about getting it.
'uh, John, remember being herded through the vaccine gauntlet at the end of boot camp, both arms slammed for Yellow Fever, Diptheria, Tetnus, MMR and a couple others? The gauntlet with the big lawn just past the 'finish line' for the less tolerent to pass out on? And your problem with a simple Covid vaccine jab that can save lives is..?"

Charles Sullivan

My brother is home. He was really sick. He received excellent care. The ER was not over run. I shutter to think what the outcome would have been if Wa state and Whatcom County didn't have such low numbers of cases.
It's hard for people to wrap their heads around but the mortality rates and length of illness skyrocket when the hospital system is over run. Thankfully, we have kept that from happening here. My brother is 50. He was really sick. On oxygen etc level sick.
Get your vaccines.

Go Sox,
cds

SilverFly

shingles vaccine felt like some wound up with an oar and smacked me. First jab of Phizer produced a mildly sore arm, second jab hardly any soreness at all.

Regarding vax deniers in a 'safer' demographic. Less about them and more about possibly being asymptomatic yet contagious and exposing family, friends and strangers in a higher risk demographic.

Had a vaccine conversation with a friend, older ex-vet like myself, on the fence about getting it.
'uh, John, remember being herded through the vaccine gauntlet at the end of boot camp, both arms slammed for Yellow Fever, Diptheria, Tetnus, MMR and a couple others? The gauntlet with the big lawn just past the 'finish line' for the less tolerent to pass out on? And your problem with a simple Covid vaccine jab that can save lives is..?"

Yup. Memories of the vaccine line in basic, with many of us being sicker than dogs the next day, might explain some of my frustration with the anti-vax crowd. Not to mention the guys who flinched at the pneumatic injector that walked away with blood streaming down their arms.

wanderingrichard

Yup. Memories of the vaccine line in basic, with many of us being sicker than dogs the next day, might explain some of my frustration with the anti-vax crowd. Not to mention the guys who flinched at the pneumatic injector that walked away with blood streaming down their arms.
Mentioned the air gun and the flinchers to the VRFA medic when I got my shot.. he told me that when he joined the navy, (1980's) they didn't use them any more . Lucky him

Bruce Baker

It's crazy how different the side effects are. This mirrors the things that can happen with the disease too - as far as how variable the symptoms and severity are.
It is crazy. I received the Moderna vaccine. And it was administered by the same person both times.

My first shot went smoothly (never felt needle, but felt vaccine being injected) and no side affects other than some soreness at injection site for about a day and a half.

Got my second shot yesterday, and what a difference. This time I did feel the initial prick of the needle, but did not feel vaccine go in. However, I did feel vaccine after all of it was injected. Some soreness at injection site and my upper arm felt a little stiff. I also got a very slight headache after going home. This morning when I woke up, I felt some chills (very mild) and some aches (very minor as well). I do work remotely and if I had to, I could have worked, but decided not to. Took some ibuprofen and started feeling a little better and napped a little. I regressed a little bit a couple of hours ago so I am going to take some more ibuprofen. Based on some of the side affects people have felt, and if this is the worst I will be feeling, I feel pretty lucky.

surfnfish

excellent dialogue of high importance between two polar opposites...props to both...had to lean into those air injections or end up with vaccine serum running down your arm from bloody pustules...still have my vaccine card with my discharge papers

Bones

I would never recommend making healthcare decisions based on a fishing forum. We fisherman are prone to exaggeration and independent spirit. However.

This is a very watered down explanation of determining reaction versus immune response. The Atlantic has done a fantastic job of covering COVID-19.

Highly recommend this read.

While it has been addressed multiple times over in this thread, differentiating between a “reaction” and an individuals immune response is very important.

An individuals immune response is unique, complex and not necessarily an indicator of neither a vaccines efficacy or perceived deficiency.

A very basic explanation of mRNA vaccines (explained several ways in this thread) is a non-active viral spike protein encapsulated in a lipid (virus dna in fat) is injected into deep muscle tissue. The body absorbs the “fat” and creates a healthy “response.”

The localized inflammation in the arm or “pain” is a by product of the body detecting the lipid as a foreign body and the spike protein as “bad”.

Shot 1 primes the immune system to develop a “response.”

Shot 2 reintroduces the same fat and genetic material. Our immune system detects it and starts to freak out in that it saw this once before and thought it had developed a response.

There is a basic saying in medicine. When you hear hoof beats, think of horses. Not zebras. Meaning, exotic “alternative” theories are just that, exotic.

Unfortunately, the scientific method, a process that takes time, is under the microscope of social media, 24 hour news and sound bites.

Please do get vaccinated. Do not let the virus use your body as a lab for developing variants.

We are all in a unique period of history. How we respond as a community, as a group of individuals blessed by the hard work and sacrifice of generations before us, will dictate the record book. Not political affiliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts