NFR Covid Vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFly

Glad to hear your brother is back home. Hope he is able to recover and avoid the long term effects. I don’t think anyone who has been in the hospital takes this lightly or wouldn’t encourage others to get vaccinated or continue to take appropriate precautions.

My SIL is a charge nurse at the local Hospital. Hearing her first hand accounts (patient identity withheld of course) is likely the other factor fueling my bitch-fits relating to COVID counter-culture.

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

My SIL is a charge nurse at the local Hospital. Hearing her first hand accounts (patient identity withheld of course) is likely the other factor fueling my bitch-fits relating to COVID counter-culture.
I get it. I have a niece back east who is also a nurse. She's been moved from city to city helping to fight this mess. First Philly, then NewYork, then Pittsburgh. When I can get her to respond to messages, she's usually exhausted and just wants to sleep. What little she does tell me is pretty darn grim.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Got shot #1 this morning at a Poulsbo drive through site. They honestly could not have made it any easier. Super fast, very smooth operation. Never left my truck. Shot was in arm within 4-5 minutes of arriving. Out of there in 20.

I was really surprised how fast I was able to get an appointment once I became eligible this week and even more amazed at how efficient the process was. Kudos to the folks who worked hard to pull this all together, as well as those staffing all the vaccination sites.

Albula

swollen member
I have a daughter that is an ICU nurse here in WA and my oldest son is the nursing director at the largest regional medical center in NC. They too have a shared opinion of the knuckle draggers who won't wear a mask, choose not to get a vaccine and claim Covid is a hoax perpetrated by leftists to sully the reputation of the wannabe politician formerly known as President Donald J Trump.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I had a bit of a rough night, after the second Pfizer shot, with chills and fever. I felt quite bad, but I tested my temperature and it was only about a degree above baseline (lol). I felt like a total pansy, after I saw that. Half a dose of Tylenol brought the temperature back down to normal. All my mucus membranes were also fired up, so I had a blocked nose, blocked ears and a mild cough. It has been about 30 hours since the injection and I nearly feel back to normal. I think it will all be over in a few more hours.

I've had many vaccines in my life, including some weird ones for traveling through south east Asia, and I don't recall having a reaction like this. I imagine this is an indication that COVID would have totally wrecked me, if I actually got it.

On a lighter note... My wife and I haven't had takeout in over a year, since the pandemic started. In two weeks, once this vaccine has fully kicked in, I'm going on a McDonalds binge. Can't f*cking wait. It's going to be so lit. :p

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter

Yep. I have too many doctor friends and nurse friends who are actually on the front lines. They've seen both the damage that this can cause and the absolute idiocracy of these virus deniers, even as they're being treated for the virus they're denying. Even if one makes it out alive after being hospitalized, this isn't something you want to fuck with.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Yep. I have too many doctor friends and nurse friends who are actually on the front lines. They've seen both the damage that this can cause and the absolute idiocracy of these virus deniers, even as they're being treated for the virus they're denying. Even if one makes it out alive after being hospitalized, this isn't something you want to fuck with.
It's fucking nuts to see the stuff it does to some. I've seen pretty fit 35 year olds be satting 95% laying prone on 2 L O2 which is good both the laying prone and the O2. They turn over to eat and just the effort to turn over and the fact they are not prone will now be 86-87% and needing more O2. That's a fit, overall healthy person.

There are really two trains a person can go down with Covid once they get hospitalized. One that stabilizes on the little treatments we have and over time will hopefully recover and go home and one that will need more and more O2. Honestly if you get to needing high flow O2 there isn't much to be done. It's almost up to fate at that point. A lot of people refuse or just can't lay prone and this is a huge risk factor for deterioration. Some have reasons they can't like dementia or back injuries etc, and some just want to be stubborn or refuse to believe us. These often end up on a vent.

Buzzy

This thread started as a way to inform people about the vaccine and eligibility/opportunities to get it (thanks @Stonefish). While it has drifted at times towards a political discussion, many folks have restrained from that and steered it back on track. Let’s please keep it to a civil discussion about the science, about people’s direct experience, and about how to find a way to get a shot if desired, so it doesn’t get locked down and can continue to be a valuable resource to the readers. Thanks in advance.
Thank you @East Coaster for trying to rein in the usual suspects - @Stonefish, @Rocking Chair Fan and @Jim Ficklin have been (and continue to be) valuable to forum members with their sharing of links of where we (yeah, we - WFF'rs and our families and friends) can get signed up and receive vaccinations. Thanks gentlemen!

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
It's fucking nuts to see the stuff it does to some. I've seen pretty fit 35 year olds be satting 95% laying prone on 2 L O2 which is good both the laying prone and the O2. They turn over to eat and just the effort to turn over and the fact they are not prone will now be 86-87% and needing more O2. That's a fit, overall healthy person.

There are really two trains a person can go down with Covid once they get hospitalized. One that stabilizes on the little treatments we have and over time will hopefully recover and go home and one that will need more and more O2. Honestly if you get to needing high flow O2 there isn't much to be done. It's almost up to fate at that point. A lot of people refuse or just can't lay prone and this is a huge risk factor for deterioration. Some have reasons they can't like dementia or back injuries etc, and some just want to be stubborn or refuse to believe us. These often end up on a vent.
blows my mind. Then you have the "well it doesn't affect my age bracket" group. Talk about a selfish mindset.

cdnred

I saw a report on the nightly news last nite that reported Brazil had the highest death toll at 3000, that's daily I'm assuming. They showed a vid of a high ranking gov official walking down the street that had people barricades on both sides of him. Looking at the crowds, it appeared that perhaps only 50% wore any masks without any social distancing. It's no wonder that they're experiencing such high death tolls. Whether it's a lack of supply or just not caring but people worldwide need to take this seriously if we want to put an end to this COVID..

jwg

I had a bit of a rough night, after the second Pfizer shot, with chills and fever. I felt quite bad, but I tested my temperature and it was only about a degree above baseline (lol). I felt like a total pansy, after I saw that. Half a dose of Tylenol brought the temperature back down to normal. All my mucus membranes were also fired up, so I had a blocked nose, blocked ears and a mild cough. It has been about 30 hours since the injection and I nearly feel back to normal. I think it will all be over in a few more hours.

I've had many vaccines in my life, including some weird ones for traveling through south east Asia, and I don't recall having a reaction like this. I imagine this is an indication that COVID would have totally wrecked me, if I actually got it.

On a lighter note... My wife and I haven't had takeout in over a year, since the pandemic started. In two weeks, once this vaccine has fully kicked in, I'm going on a McDonalds binge. Can't f*cking wait. It's going to be so lit. :p

Funny about takeout

For a year the only takeout we would get were cooked dishes, and for a long time, only deep fried, which are clearly surface sterilized and likely go into take-out packaging and closed up while still too hot to sustain live virus. Falafel cakes and French fries !

Extreme I know, but it was one of several measures we adhered to.
Now that we are vaccinated, and know more about virus transmission, some measures are still warranted but others are not. Still, it's hard to let go of some of our more stringent 'security blankets'.

We did get fresh salad and sushi as takeout last week!

Jay

SilverFly

I'll say it again; it is really f*cking annoying that those most vocal about returning to normal are most resistant to doing things that make it possible (ie. masks and vaccinations).

Especially with the oft-touted central tenet of the conservative right being "personal responsibility" (something I agree with BTW). COVID was a powerful, and now lost, opportunity to demonstrate this.

Sad, because we desperately need to restore some degree of political balance. Behaving in a cooperative, responsible manner for the greater good - especially if that meant putting personal beliefs aside - would have been an incredible way to show character, leadership, build credibility, and help heal the political rifts that are tearing this nation, and even families apart. Instead, it's more "my way or the highway" ... straight to hell.

As for fear of the vaccine versus fear of the virus. It's like saying you're afraid of a smaller sub-component of a larger whole. Or, as a very crude and unscientific analogy: "I'll take my chances playing hand grenade catch, but no way I'll take one of those terrifying grenade pins they're handing out!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info