NFR Covid Vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Especially with the oft-touted central tenet of the conservative right being "personal responsibility" (something I agree with BTW). COVID was a powerful, and now lost, opportunity to demonstrate this.

Sad, because we desperately need to restore some degree of political balance. Behaving in a cooperative, responsible manner for the greater good - especially if that meant putting personal beliefs aside - would have been an incredible way to show character, leadership, build credibility, and help heal the political rifts that are tearing this nation, and even families apart. Instead, it's more "my way or the highway" ... straight to hell.

As for fear of the vaccine versus fear of the virus. It's like saying you're afraid of a smaller sub-component of a larger whole. Or, as a very crude and unscientific analogy: "I'll take my chances playing hand grenade catch, but no way I'll take one of those terrifying grenade pins they're handing out!"

Had a run-in today, but I am putting that in another post so as not to derail this one.

cheers

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Got my second shot this morning, gonna go out and work in the garden as there's much to do here.
Don't feel too much worse than I usually do this time of year...but it'll be 6-12 hours before the immune response deal really kicks in from what I heard.

Don't be a dolt, get your shot please...

:)

Pretty much a train wreck today, all the side effects rolled into a nice little package of aches and pains and so it hasn't been my finest hour today....yesterday no issues until about 7pm from a 10am shot...today just a bad day...woke up sore and achy, went downhill from there.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Pretty much a train wreck today, all the side effects rolled into a nice little package of aches and pains and so it hasn't been my finest hour today....yesterday no issues until about 7pm from a 10am shot...today just a bad day...woke up sore and achy, went downhill from there.

Hopefully, tomorrow's a better day. Take care, stay hydrated.

cheers

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter

Yeah, my second day after the second shot was body ache and lethargy. Then chills for a while in the evening. But third day was all normal again.

jwg

Especially with the oft-touted central tenet of the conservative right being "personal responsibility" (something I agree with BTW). COVID was a powerful, and now lost, opportunity to demonstrate this.

Sad, because we desperately need to restore some degree of political balance. Behaving in a cooperative, responsible manner for the greater good - especially if that meant putting personal beliefs aside - would have been an incredible way to show character, leadership, build credibility, and help heal the political rifts that are tearing this nation, and even families apart. Instead, it's more "my way or the highway" ... straight to hell.

As for fear of the vaccine versus fear of the virus. It's like saying you're afraid of a smaller sub-component of a larger whole. Or, as a very crude and unscientific analogy: "I'll take my chances playing hand grenade catch, but no way I'll take one of those terrifying grenade pins they're handing out!"
What is the first evidence of civIlization?

A healed femur.

It proves people taking care of one another. Otherwise a broken leg would be a death sentence for a socially isolated individual.

I think the covid and vaccine denial thing is tribal, another human characteristic, sadly.

And that tribal divisiveness was inflicted deliberately. Mostly by spreading disinformation using bots.

Not sure where I am going with this but it's a shame we don't unite like we did over other things in the past.

Taking care of one another is our civic, religious and patriotic duty. Pick two out of three.

Jay

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler

Albula

swollen member
As far as take-out goes I took the same approach to food as I did for fly tying during this pandemic.
Taught myself some new skills through books, videos, and trial error. Now I can tie a decent buck tail streamer and cook some really great new dishes.
All good in the hood
Had the same phenomenon occur here. I used to get take-out from a Chinese restaurant every couple weeks largely due to the way the meat, chicken, pork or beef came out so juicy and tender. I could duplicate the various flavors at home but never the consistency. Called a buddy who used to run a similar restaurant and found the secret. Slice the meat in thin strips across the grain and massage a liberal amount of baking powder into all the slices. Never would have thought of that. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly and pat sorta dry. Before stir frying marinate for 10 minutes in the liquid of your choice with a couple tbs of corn starch. It's like magic and now a frequent choice for dinner. Found out it is called "velveting."

Last edited:

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
Had the same phenomenon occur here. I used to get take-out from a Chinese restaurant every couple weeks largely due to the way the meat, chicken, pork or beef came out so juicy and tender. I could duplicate the various flavors at home but never the consistency. Called a buddy who used to run a similar restaurant and found the secret. Slice the meat in thin strips across the grain and massage a liberal amount of baking powder into all the slices. Never would have thought of that. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly and pat sorta dry. Before stir frying marinate for 10 minutes in the liquid of your choice with a couple tbs of corn starch. It's like magic and now a frequent choice for dinner. Found out it is called "velveting."
I’ve never heard of baking powder used for this - but have long used corn starch for the same effect:

Moderna #2 next week. So excite
1618854115982.jpeg

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Well some of the side effects abated, but not all of them. I sort of figured it'd be a bit rough given I had low level effects from the first shot, and most don't.
Still...it's not bad enough to not work, but definitely an off day again, sort of like getting worked over by a boxer after a night of heavy drinking, then getting in a car wreck on the way home.
Lol

I'd still get the shot even if I knew I'd be beat up like a train hit me for a day or 2 after getting one.

Albula

swollen member
Never heard of this before, so I did some research. Everything I found references baking soda, not powder. I'll have to try this in any event.
You are correct Jim. A senior moment there. Plus I am definitely not a baker. I had done the corn starch marinade before but this "velveting" really made the difference. Good on everyone getting their shots. It appears the only way out of this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts