NFR Covid Vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderingrichard

Let's hope things work for you JoJo.
Talk of allergies brought up a point here at the house. My usual early year hay fever and mold allergies didnt manifest this year and the wifes seasonal allergies and asthma hasnt either .

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter

People who have previously had Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS)​

People who have previously had GBS may receive a COVID-19 vaccine...
With few exceptions, the independent Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) general best practice guidelines for immunization do not include a history of GBS as a precaution to vaccination with other vaccines.

However, I would encourage you to have a conversation with your most trusted healthcare provider, sometimes 1:1 discussions can be far more re-assuring, hopefully decreasing the understandable anxiety you may have.

Good luck and cheers
From the link, according to this...
"If you have allergies not related to vaccines
CDC recommends that people get vaccinated even if they have a history of severe allergic reactions not related to vaccines or injectable medications—such as food, pet, venom, environmental, or latex allergies. People with a history of allergies to oral medications or a family history of severe allergic reactions may also get vaccinated."

Mrs Brian has never had an anaphylactic reaction to anything, and does OK with PEG in OTC pain meds. She's had flu-like symptoms after a flu shot, but not every time she's received one. Over the years she has increasingly experienced stomach upset if she eats garlic, onions, or leeks. She was experiencing allergy symptoms when she was vaccinated. Based on the accelerated clinical trials CDC said she was good to go. She was apprehensive but I encouraged her to take it. She wound up in the ER, experienced symptoms from the reaction for 2 weeks, and got "elective" allergy testing to determine if she should get the 2nd shot (@Jojo - that was negative - I hope you can get vaccinated but use caution). Besides being a serious heath condition, it was expensive. We would like to know why.

I haven't seen any discussion of how much anti vaxers will cost the country, in terms of medical expenses and so on. I imagine it would be significant. Maybe this could become taxed somehow, like cigarettes and alcohol. It could also become possible for folks to be held liable, if they refuse a vaccine, get sick and spread it to others.
So you would have her take the shot or pay a fine, and/or be held liable? Should the government be liable and have to pay medical expenses and possibly disability and death benefits because people were forced to take the vaccine? (provided it would ever accept culpability - think Atomic Veterans and Agent Orange)

Last edited:

wetline dave

I have followed this thread and there are some very good replies and some good points of understanding on the get vaccinated side.

The point of view of no long term testing and what could happen 20 years down the road as a result of a vaccination. That should not be considered. The question to ask is the upside bigger than the down side.

As far as 20 years or 10 years or even5 years down the road well you could be run over in a parking lot or fall in a bath tub and be dead. Fatal falls in bath tubs is fairly common. There is probably a greater chance of being killed in a car wreck than dyeing or having a serious complication from a Covid vaccination.

There are few guaranties in life and to base decisions on paranoiac ideas is fool hardy. Evaluate the plus and minus and put it in perspective and get a vaccination.

Dave

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
So you would have her take the shot or pay a fine, and/or be held liable? Should the government be liable and have to pay medical expenses and possibly disability and death benefits because people were forced to take the vaccine? (provided it would ever accept culpability - think Atomic Veterans and Agent Orange)

There are obviously a lot of people who can't take the vaccine. I know someone who can't. You would have to make an exception for those folks. I thought that would go without saying. Perhaps I should have been more explicit.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
The point of view of no long term testing and what could happen 20 years down the road as a result of a vaccination. That should not be considered. The question to ask is the upside bigger than the down side.
As far as 20 years or 10 years or even5 years down the road well you could be run over in a parking lot or fall in a bath tub and be dead. Fatal falls in bath tubs is fairly common.
I am not an anti-vaxer.
Your logic brings to mind US servicemen and women who were put in nuclear blast zones, ordered to spray or were otherwise exposed to dangerous chemicals used for controlling vegetation or cleaning aircraft, and using fire retardants without sufficient equipment, protection, procedures-training, or warning about the hazards that began to affect their health and kill them years later. No big deal because they could have fallen in the bathtub?

Last edited:

Saltycutthroat

WFF Supporter

The point of view of no long term testing and what could happen 20 years down the road as a result of a vaccination. That should not be considered.
I disagree. It absolutely should be considered. We have plenty of drugs that took longer to develop that we have found to be harmful in some way. There’s a reason you see commercials saying “did you take x drug in the 1990s and are suffering from x symptoms? You may be entitled to a settlement.”

To believe there is absolutely no way these vaccines could lead to some health issues is ridiculous. There are already a lot of women who have been vaccinated and are now having irregular periods. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to find out there is a connection.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
I am not an anti-vaxer.
Your logic brings to mind US servicemen and women who were put in nuclear blast zones, ordered to spray or were otherwise exposed to dangerous chemicals used for controlling vegetation or cleaning aircraft, and using fire retardants without sufficient equipment, protection, procedures-training, or warning about the hazards that began to affect their health and kill them years later. No big deal because they could have fallen in the bathtub?
5 years ago we were cutting masonry on jobsites dry. Now we wet cut and where mask. 5 years ago you could chip concrete without a face mask. Now we have to fit test all our employees and provide training. Why? Silica. Totally fine to breath silica dust for the last hundred years. Then we found out that apparently it can fuck you up pretty bad.

Porter

5 years ago we were cutting masonry on jobsites dry. Now we wet cut and where mask. 5 years ago you could chip concrete without a face mask. Now we have to fit test all our employees and provide training. Why? Silica. Totally fine to breath silica dust for the last hundred years. Then we found out that apparently it can fuck you up pretty bad.
I don’t know about breathing it but the people of Iceland have bathed for years in that silica and they seem to do okay.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
5 years ago we were cutting masonry on jobsites dry. Now we wet cut and where mask
Yeah, in addition to the examples I mentioned, I understand that the maintainers in what used to be called the paint shop, now the Low Observable Team, that maintains a stealth airframe's skin work with some pretty dangerous chemicals.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter

Maybe everyone should start wearing masks, when they dust off their dry flies with silica desiccant. :p

I was pretty impressed with how demolition crews here spray concrete, while they work. No one does that back home, in Australia. It seems so obvious and sensible. Australia didn't stop using asbestos until the 90s though, so I guess it's not surprising.

Last edited:

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Americans need to hurry up and get their shots so the country can supply vaccine to other parts of the world ASAP.

For all the flaws, our healthcare system ain't so bad after all. No shit.

Progressives and their socialized medicine...GTFO
Au2jkNg6_o.gif

To believe there is absolutely no way these vaccines could lead to some health issues is ridiculous.

It is understandable why people are skeptical. Americans are stubborn as fuck and many flat out don't trust the "experts."

One member said we need to hold these people accountable! Just on Friday we learned that the CDC "experts" were influenced by the teacher's union, based on zero data or science. Where's the accountability in that?

I also about spit out my coffee when a member posted that Biden is trying to remove politics from this discussion. Every aspect of COVID has been politicized, primarily by one party in this country. Never let a crisis go to waste.

Yeah, Americans have every right to be skeptical.

So back to my earlier point, this is why the messaging is critical and Biden sending mixed signals is not helping. He needs to take off the mask and show the country that if you get vaccinated, you can go back to normal life. Otherwise, what's the point?

C'mon man! Folks! Biden dude, sell this thing. If you can't, call me. I can sell sawdust to a lumber mill.

For those of you who disagree, you aren't the people we need to convince to take this thing. I mean some of you are wearing masks while running outside by yourself.
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
Some people are wearing masks running outside because this year’s allergy season is bad. Before Covid I used to consider running during tree season with a mask which is the worst time of year for me. Now i can do so and not look as weird.

Also the person who politicized Covid in the first place was our former president. I have said this before, when Covid first hit, i truly believe and was encouraged that finally, as a nation, we might come together and work through our polarization and just be Americans doing the right thing to get through this. (Much like what happened during 9-11). But that didn’t happen. It’s still astounding to me that so many Americans had an issue with masks.

During my mother in law’s funeral reception last weekend in East. Washington, I was in charge of being the bouncer. I made sure that folks entered wearing a mask, sanitized their hands and signed in (in case there was an outbreak we would know who to contact.) There were about 50 people in attendance But I only had problems with two old men and a right wing niece in my husband’s family.

I dealt with the old men by telling them it was a rule by the Eagles club and that’s just the way it had to be if they wanted entrance. That worked. When i offered the niece a mask she told me she already had one so i asked her to put it on and walked away. But i noticed later that she didn’t. So i told her mom to go over and tell her. Finally she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info