New Syd Glasso Book by Art Lingren

Squamishpoacher

I got this in the email and will be looking forward to seeing my copy as soon as it's available...

Syd Glasso--An Influential, Innovative, Master Fly Tier and His Canadian Connections

By Art Lingren

Limited Edition of 30: Slipcase with door and ¼ leather bound hardcover with a Glasso-style fly mounted in an inside front cover recess. 8 ½ x 11, 90 pp. $200 Canadian plus $20 mailing. Non Available

Trade edition: $30 Canadian includes mailing, $25 if picked up. $29 US includes mailing to the USA

Syd Glasso Book.jpg
I wondered when I got into this if I had enough material for a book but now complete it is 90 pages plus cover, 6 pages more than my Bill McMillan book. In addition to two Syd Glasso collections—Bob Taylor’s and John Bokstroms’s—the book has flies dressed by Bob Taylor and Jack Vincent from British Columbia and Garry Anderson, Dareld Thompson and Sean Dahlquist from Washington State. All three WA guys are members of the Northwest Atlantic Salmon Fly Tier Guild. All the people have flies in the book have been influenced by Glasso and dress flies using his techniques and in his style. Bob Taylor learned from Glasso himself by sitting and watching Glasso tie when, back in the 1970s, Bob visited him in Forks, Washington. Bokstrom did not tie Glasso-style flies. But he and Glasso were good friends and Syd gave John quite a few flies that Bokstrom framed. Totem Flyfisher club member Ben Gerhke bought some of Bokstrom’s Glasso plates from the estate and Ben was kind enough to let me borrow the fly plates so I could photograph them. In addition to Glasso-dressed flies, there are many fine examples of Glasso-style flies--steelhead and Spey--are in the book, some the best I have ever seen tied. An example is Sean Dahlquist’s tie of Glasso’s Orange Heron that graces the book cover. Bob Clay’s winter Kispiox River scene and Scott Baker-McGarva’s unusual Glasso compliment close the book.

The book goes to the printers soon and if all goes to plan I shall have books by end of January.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
My favorite type of fly, bar none.

I remember reading Combs book and going through the fly plates. Glasso's flys were markedly different, they looked like they were already moving on the page...sleek, sort of rakish in a way compared to a full dress Atlantic Salmon pattern, yet badass compared to the hair wings that dominated those plates in the book.
I was sold, considering a Steelhead will bite anything if its presented right, I knew right then I wanted to tie and fish that style of fly.
:)
It was a fine day when I hooked and landed two nice fish one late October afternoon on the Snoqualmie using an Orange Heron in October of 1982...my first on that fly.

MD

WFF Supporter
How does one order a copy? I haven’t found anything in the few searches I’ve done.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
I ordered a trade copy earlier this week. Art is reviewing a draft from the publisher. If all is okay they will print. He hopes to have books by the end of the week. Of course if adjustments need to be made it will take a bit longer.

dustinchromers

I too was fascinated by Spey flies, Glasso in particular. I sheepishly admit that I never really felt like I got ultra competent tying them. Fishing them on the other hand with a floating line and long leader, nothing tracks, swims, and fishes better.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I ordered a trade copy earlier this week. Art is reviewing a draft from the publisher. If all is okay they will print. He hopes to have books by the end of the week. Of course if adjustments need to be made it will take a bit longer.
He told me he read a proof yesterday and needs to make some adjustments....and then receive another proof and reread that. Hopefully soon.

CreekScrambler

I too was fascinated by Spey flies, Glasso in particular. I sheepishly admit that I never really felt like I got ultra competent tying them. Fishing them on the other hand with a floating line and long leader, nothing tracks, swims, and fishes better.
Sinks like a stone, moves like crazy, and rides plumb-bob upright. I finally fished a rough homespun version recently and was very impressed. It's amazing how little material can make such a large profile....I'm far less interested in hucking elaborate 6" creations now that I've seen these in the water.

Bonus feature: they're easy to cast, too!

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts