Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for rod info/advice

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Rusty Shackelford 
#1 · (Edited)
I currently use a 7'6" 3wt and a 8' 4 wt Classic Trout for all of my fly fishing but I want to get a stiffer action 9' 6wt for small to mid size streamers and heavier nymph rigs. I would like to keep it under $200, I am currently looking at the TFO PRO II and it seems to tick all the right boxes, does anyone have any experience with this rod? If so, what reel and line did you find works best with it? I am thinking about pairing it with a Battenkill Disc III and either Airflo Xceed or Nymph/Indicator or SA MPX line. I would love to hear some thoughts from people that have more experience than me.

#2 ·
I have a 5wt & 7wt Professional rods and a 6wt Professional II rod - all three rods are 9ft. The 5wt is my primary trout rod for the medium to large streams and rivers during the summer. I use the 6wt for streamers, in fall when the winds in the foothills increase and it is also my floating line rod for stillwater fishing. The 7wt is my stillwater sinking line rod. I have the 5wt and 7wt for 8 years and the 6 wt for 2 years.

The difference between the Professional and Professional II is in the butt section only. They changed the reel seat on the Professional II. When I have gone in to the TFO office in Calgary to buy a replacement tip section, the guy working there highlighted that the replacements for the top three sections were the same for the Pro and Pro II rods. The two replacements tips I've bought have been as a result of my carelessness with doors and tailgates :( !! It's hard to beat TFO for the cost and ease of getting replacement tips - if you need them of course!

TFO describes these as medium-fast rods and I thinks that's pretty accurate. I haven't been very particular about the reels I use. The 5wt balances nice with a Cabela's RLS+(2) reel. I am using Bass Pro Hobbs Creek - White River reels on the 6 & 7 wt rods. I find the rods work well with lines that are 1/2 line size heavy. I'm got an Airflo Xceed on my 5wt and a Rio Gold line on the 6 wt. Both work fine.

I don't have any plans to upgrade from the Professional rods. They are doing a great job and meet all my needs.

I found this TFO Pro Fly Rod Review.

Regards,
Ken

#5 ·
FWIW I recently bought myself a Christmas present, an Airflo 5 wt Xceed floating line. I havent fished it nor had opportunity to cast it.
I also have an Airflo 3 wt elite floating for nymphs. That cast like a charm.
Doubt that this information will help you much but it is all I have. Good luck in your search and let us know how it turns out.

#7 ·
Due to the lockdown, I bought my line on-line at a very reduced price.
The price was the deal maker for me. That and I was a so impressed with my 3 wt. from Airflo. Look around on line, there are a lot of markdowns right now.

#11 · (Edited)
Stepping back a bit, are you sure you want a rod like this? Outside of some specific scenarios (eg. stillwater, SRC, NZ, etc.), I can't imagine using a fast 6wt for an entire day of trout fishing. I would be more inclined to get something like a 6wt Echo Carbon XL, so I can switch between nymphs, streamers and dries on the same day. You could also get something like a 5wt Echo Carbon XL and take two spools/lines; one for dies/nymphs (eg. Rio Gold) and one for streamers (eg. OPST Commando).

#12 ·
Stepping back a bit, are you sure you want a rod like this? Outside of some specific scenarios (eg. stillwater, SRC, NZ, etc.), I can't imagine using a fast 6wt for an entire day of trout fishing. I would be more inclined to get something like a 6wt Echo Carbon XL, so I can switch between nymphs, streamers and dries on the same day. You could also get something like a 5wt Echo Carbon XL and take two spools/lines; one for dies/nymphs (eg. Rio Gold) and one for streamers (eg. OPST Commando).
If I was looking for another moderate action rod Id likely get another Classic Trout since I love both of the ones I already have. I chose the PRO II because it's a moderate-fast action rod. Moderate-fast action rods are supposed to be one of the most versatile actions on the market which is why there are so many of them.

#13 ·
So are you wanting a rod that can do it all very well? Honestly, there's no such thing. (for trout) Personally, if I'm just streamer fishing, I go with a 7wt (even with smaller streamers---it's so much easier--unless I'm fishing tiny water with little fish, but then I'm usually not streamer fishing). If I'm just indicator fishing, I go with a 10' 4/5wt. If you're looking for something that would be ok for all around fishing, that 6wt would be a good compromise. Remember, a number of years ago, a 7wt was considered the best all around trout rod, even for dries. They're not difficult to fish all day at all...I've never understood why people are so afraid of 7wts for trout. When you're limiting yourself to the lower-mid end of things, most rods are going to be pretty comparable. The Echo Ion XL mentioned above is a solid medium action choice.

I'd check out some of Kelly Gallup's videos on streamer fishing and nymphing. Really good info in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.