Balanced minnows

troutpocket

I got inspired to up my baitfish game after looking at some stuff that @dbk has been posting. I am generally a “keep it simple” kinda tier but some of the fun options for materials and techniques I see online do add something.

The top pattern is a version of something I have been tying and fishing successfully for several years. It’s not a go-to necessarily but in some situations it has been really good. It’s a fairly quick and simple tie with basic materials. The bottom is modeled after dbk’s balanced minnows. More materials, more steps, more time to tie. But I like it. Hoping to put it in front of some trout sometime soon.
B5C00303-CCA6-4B4A-B311-ECD5AD12064D.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Trout11

I too have been trying my hand at tying minnow patterns. I didn't think of a balance minnow. I like it. But I have trouble with the bloody eyes. I read constantly that its THE EYES! How do you do them?

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
Rod, help and old guy out, how do you fish these? Indicator? New to me...

Freestone

WFF Supporter
@troutpocket - Great minds think alike! Your ties are much better than mine though!

I was fishing a Puget Sound beach with a buddy on Saturday. Living on the dryside, I have rarely fished for sea runs but my Seattle-area buddy is very experienced. I think outside the box so part way through the day, I asked “does anyone fish balanced minnows under an indicator for sea runs?”. He is used to my weird ideas so didn’t bat an eye and calmly answered my question.

@Bob Triggs had a little more visceral reaction when I called him with my (apparently blasphemous) question, LOL! :D

troutpocket

@troutpocket - Great minds think alike! Your ties are much better than mine though!

I was fishing a Puget Sound beach with a buddy on Saturday. Living on the dryside, I have rarely fished for sea runs but my Seattle-area buddy is very experienced. I think outside the box so part way through the day, I asked “does anyone fish balanced minnows under an indicator for sea runs?”. He is used to my weird ideas so didn’t bat an eye and calmly answered my question.

@Bob Triggs had a little more visceral reaction when I called him with my (apparently blasphemous) question, LOL! :D
I don’t know anything about searun cutthroat but you gotta figure trout will be trout. Let me know if you give it a try.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I got inspired to up my baitfish game after looking at some stuff that @dbk has been posting. I am generally a “keep it simple” kinda tier but some of the fun options for materials and techniques I see online do add something.

The top pattern is a version of something I have been tying and fishing successfully for several years. It’s not a go-to necessarily but in some situations it has been really good. It’s a fairly quick and simple tie with basic materials. The bottom is modeled after dbk’s balanced minnows. More materials, more steps, more time to tie. But I like it. Hoping to put it in front of some trout sometime soon.
View attachment 268423
I fished a lake in October that held large rainbows and my most productive fly was very similar to the bottom fly in the picture. It was not level nor did it have eyes but fish hit it savagely and often. Tied with some UV material it must be visible for quite a distance underwater. I strip it erratically often letting it sink before jerking it back into action. It seems to me that fish key in on the white flies taking them as they appear to be the white belly of a baitfish. Feeding opportunistically in the fall they seem to fall for anything resembling an easy meal.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts