Balanced minnows

troutpocket

I fished a lake in October that held large rainbows and my most productive fly was very similar to the bottom fly in the picture. It was not level nor did it have eyes but fish hit it savagely and often. Tied with some UV material it must be visible for quite a distance underwater. I strip it erratically often letting it sink before jerking it back into action. It seems to me that fish key in on the white flies taking them as they appear to be the white belly of a baitfish. Feeding opportunistically in the fall they seem to fall for anything resembling an easy meal.
My best days fishing baitfish patterns have been in September and October. My go-to is a simple olive bunny strip tied in matuka style with a cream/white dubbing underbelly on a 2XL #6 heavy streamer hook. I use the same fish mask and eyes that I’m using for the jig version. I keep it unweighted so it will roll and dip slowly on the pause.

The top pattern in my first post has been good December through March when the hatches are slim to none and water is very clear.

I’m keen to try these new versions in the shallows on windy spring days.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
@troutpocket - Great minds think alike! Your ties are much better than mine though!

I was fishing a Puget Sound beach with a buddy on Saturday. Living on the dryside, I have rarely fished for sea runs but my Seattle-area buddy is very experienced. I think outside the box so part way through the day, I asked “does anyone fish balanced minnows under an indicator for sea runs?”. He is used to my weird ideas so didn’t bat an eye and calmly answered my question.

@Bob Triggs had a little more visceral reaction when I called him with my (apparently blasphemous) question, LOL! :D

Yes, yes I have.

Mike Ediger

WFF Supporter
I am excited about this idea and have wanted to try it for quite a while. I also think it would work in moving water. If a fish will chase down a live minnow, I would think they would be willing to expend less energy to go grab a floating one that may be injured or dead. One should never post a picture of their first attempt of any fly, proportions need a little work, and this isn’t truly a balanced menu, but I am interested in giving it a shot.

Attachments

• 3300CE42-FD36-4DCF-9C74-4B630C2A0F26.jpeg
    3300CE42-FD36-4DCF-9C74-4B630C2A0F26.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Buzzy

I am excited about this idea and have wanted to try it for quite a while. I also think it would work in moving water. If a fish will chase down a live minnow, I would think they would be willing to expand less energy to go grab a floating one that may be injured or dead. One should never post a picture of their first attempt of any fly, proportions need a little work, and this isn’t truly a balanced menu, but I am interested in giving it a shot.
Mike - killer minnow! I bet it would fish really well at the lake where we met!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts