Nextcast, mid belly, long belly, ect question

DanielOcean

Hello my fine WFF friends,

Improvements in life's circumstance's will allow me to get swinging for steelhead ghosts again. I need some guidance though cause I cannot find crystal clear information on next cast lines. However, if you feel next cast is not the way to go please say so. I am looking for a general winter sink tip system where I can deal with less running line stripping and management. Ill be getting a long 8wt winter stick to be able to throw larger payloads through the air. The idea of one long big head (face palm) that throws t-11 and t-14 and its equivalents sounds great. So what are my options since I have been gone for 3 years now? Everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

DO

bhudda

heffe'
It’s all a fad....use what worked 3 years ago. And if you have to strip....look at yourself in the mirror and say “ I’m sexy and I know it!” ....works every time! Welcome back....

Actually I’ve been out of the game myself and there’s been atleast 5 generations of new lines that have come out and none seem to impress except the long dry lines. Good luck anyways..

DanielOcean

It’s all a fad....use what worked 3 years ago. And if you have to strip....look at yourself in the mirror and say “ I’m sexy and I know it!” ....works every time! Welcome back....

Actually I’ve been out of the game myself and there’s been atleast 5 generations of new lines that have come out and none seem to impress except the long dry lines. Good luck anyways..
Yeah I noticed. RIO is now charging an obscene amount of money for just a freaken shooting head.

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
For T-14? that's false.
At the big boy weights it works, know a few dudes who do it all winter. Not ideal of course, but if you are not wanting to fish a skagit then the rage is a decent compromise. Not sure I'd want to go much longer than a rage for t14.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
At the big boy weights it works, know a few dudes who do it all winter. Not ideal of course, but if you are not wanting to fish a skagit then the rage is a decent compromise.
I mean, if you want to fish T-14 but not on a Skagit, a Rage isn't really a solution because it's basically a Skagit with more front taper. It's a Skagit with less turnover power. You get all the drawbacks of a Skagit without the benefit of the turnover power for heavy stuff.

Rio Short Spey might be worth a shot. It's longer but has more turnover power than something like a Rage.

GOTY

I mean, if you want to fish T-14 but not on a Skagit, a Rage isn't really a solution because it's basically a Skagit with more front taper. It's a Skagit with less turnover power. You get all the drawbacks of a Skagit without the benefit of the turnover power for heavy stuff.

Rio Short Spey might be worth a shot. It's longer but has more turnover power than something like a Rage.
Well yeah, but that rio head is even shorter than a rage at the same weights. I was assuming Dan wanted something longer.

Dan maybe buy a 1000grain 85ft comp line and cut off the front taper, that would be fun. Probably hook two steelhead the first cast.

DanielOcean

Well yeah, but that rio head is even shorter than a rage at the same weights. I was assuming Dan wanted something longer.

Dan maybe buy a 1000grain 85ft comp line and cut off the front taper, that would be fun. Probably hook two steelhead the first cast.
You you are right. Dan desires something.........................longer!

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Short Spey is the same length in the body section, but the end of that section isn't tapered. If you add one of their tips for it (required), it ends up being 45ish feet and doesn't taper until the last few feet.

GOTY

Another option is just get a 9 or 10 weight spey rod so you're chucking serious grains.

Dan this might be worth a listen, John McMillan talks about his winter setup and why he fishes a rage for basically all his winter sink tip work (his reasons for doing so are the very things you're asking). He did some math on how much time he spends stripping line vs if he fished a skagit head, and he claims it saves enough time for him to fish a full additional run each day.

the_grube

At the big boy weights it works, know a few dudes who do it all winter. Not ideal of course, but if you are not wanting to fish a skagit then the rage is a decent compromise. Not sure I'd want to go much longer than a rage for t14.
I had no problems turning over T-10 with a 510 Rage on my 7wt... IMO it's more than conceivable that an 8wt 'long stick' with a Rage in the 575gr or larger would turn over t14... not saying I would want to cast it.. I'm kind of over fishing with T style tips.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Due my employment, I have been around the Rage a lot. In all honesty, I don't like it for much of anything. But if it works for yous, have at it. I just really don't see it as a heavy sink tip line.

GOTY

Rage seems polarizing. People either fish the hell out of it or not at all. I don't own one but know folks that swear by it.

It all works, just go fish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts