Nextcast, mid belly, long belly, ect question

dustinchromers

No i do not have a hole burning in my pocket you old salty asshole. During my move here to Idaho my whole spey line wallet went missing so there are some stuff that i need to "replace". Thought i would come on here and inquire about feew lines i have heard about. I would have disclosed that at the beginning but i didnt think i owed anyone an explanation in order to gain approval on how i spend my hard earned money. Yeah i tossed around the idea of an 8wt setup in the future, as a treat to myself but thats my business

Get the Zone and don't look back. Try the coastal though too. It's sweet on shorter rods and in tighter spots. I think I know what you're after in that you want some juice but a more elegant longer weapon that requires less running line in the hand. The zone is it. If winter fishing the F1 is tough to beat. You won't need t14 especially with the F1. It's not needed. Instead fish a ten foot chunk of t8, t10, or t12 max. It all fishes relatively the same. For my F1 I carry a single piece of t10, and a couple lighter poly leaders. That's it. If I'm feeling really freaky or fishing in ultra low and cold conditions I'll run the intermediate clear leader or tip off of it just to feel sneaky. I honestly doubt it matters but my superstitions demand it. Either way the point is the new lines with the integrated intermediate section work great and don't require massive grain tips. I tried the f2 and just hung up allot. So for me it's F1 or the traditional floater.

Charles Sullivan

Not grumpy at all. It's just that you already have a nice rod that feels good in the hand and casts great - and it will play and land any fish you're gonna' hook, if by some chance you hook one. What, you got some money burning a hole in your pocket? From day one you've been trying to solve the issue of catching a steelhead by buying more gear. How well has that worked out? You have all the right gear, just the wrong approach. Use the good stuff you have and then fish where the fish are when they are there. That's really been your missing link all along. Well, except for when you ignored my advice to buy a couple spools of Maxima leader material and just use that, but no, you had to go buy some other shit that broke when you hooked a fish . . .
That was a top notch talking to.

I will say that My car is my most inportant piece of steelhead gear. My money is best spent in gas.

Go sox,
cds

Creatch'r

Unhinged Member
Get the Zone and don't look back. Try the coastal though too. It's sweet on shorter rods and in tighter spots. I think I know what you're after in that you want some juice but a more elegant longer weapon that requires less running line in the hand. The zone is it. If winter fishing the F1 is tough to beat. You won't need t14 especially with the F1. It's not needed. Instead fish a ten foot chunk of t8, t10, or t12 max. It all fishes relatively the same. For my F1 I carry a single piece of t10, and a couple lighter poly leaders. That's it. If I'm feeling really freaky or fishing in ultra low and cold conditions I'll run the intermediate clear leader or tip off of it just to feel sneaky. I honestly doubt it matters but my superstitions demand it. Either way the point is the new lines with the integrated intermediate section work great and don't require massive grain tips. I tried the f2 and just hung up allot. So for me it's F1 or the traditional floater.

The zone in an 8wt grain range is pretty much in the skagit range length wise but maybe with more taper? If it throws t11 I’m assuming it’ll toss a lightly weighted 4” bunny leech comfortably? How does it do with 12-15’ tips? What didn’t you like about the steelhead finder or the salar finder?

I have a WA45 8/9 I was fishing yesterday with a 15’ 9wt Rio type 3. Really love casting that line when distance might matter or I’m fishing light, but I always come back to wanting a line that casts similarly, but will handle a 4” strip of bunny without getting whiny. The WA45 leaves something to be desired in that department at least in my hands. I have skagit heads for the limited times I want to throw a heavy tip but still looking for a daily driver head that is fun to cast, and I can crank out 80 plus’ with a nice turnover and good control with a sparse strip of bunny. I like intermediate heads the airflo int skagit has been my go to fish catcher since they came out but I could really get down with something more refined on the big river.

The rod in question is an 8133

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Makes me wonder if a 45' "Skagit" would work. It'll probably not want to straighten out in-flight, but there has to be a way to do an aggressive taper in a longer head.

dustinchromers

The zone in an 8wt grain range is pretty much in the skagit range length wise but maybe with more taper? If it throws t11 I’m assuming it’ll toss a lightly weighted 4” bunny leech comfortably? How does it do with 12-15’ tips? What didn’t you like about the steelhead finder or the salar finder?

I have a WA45 8/9 I was fishing yesterday with a 15’ 9wt Rio type 3. Really love casting that line when distance might matter or I’m fishing light, but I always come back to wanting a line that casts similarly, but will handle a 4” strip of bunny without getting whiny. The WA45 leaves something to be desired in that department at least in my hands. I have skagit heads for the limited times I want to throw a heavy tip but still looking for a daily driver head that is fun to cast, and I can crank out 80 plus’ with a nice turnover and good control with a sparse strip of bunny. I like intermediate heads the airflo int skagit has been my go to fish catcher since they came out but I could really get down with something more refined on the big river.

The zone is a bit longer than a skagit by a fair bit. Coastal is more skagit range length. The zone will throw lighter tips in longer lengths but it doesn't like fill grain t stuff much over 12'. Both lines are smoother with better loop control than the skagit and the zone is my daily driver. For full floating work with a mono leader I still lean on the old tactical steelhead line.

I don't know why I didn't like the finder series. I only tried them on one rod a 7141. I just didn't get reliable repeatable casts out of it that were easy and instinctive. It's a little longer and I generally like lines of that length and longer. I thought it was the answer on paper but it never materialised in the field for me. I'd say I'm going to try some winter authority or something but I'm not. I got lines that work and at this point I'm too stuck in my ways to change anything much less spend any money improving my odds of not encountering a fish to impress with my casting.

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Yea the zone is basically a skagit, you can try my 8wt when we fish. Can turnover anything, but it's not as smooth as that WA.... definitely clunkier and feels more like a skagit. However it's smoother and more fun than just a standard skagit, which is nice. If a skagit is 0 and WA 10 on the scale, the zone would be like a 3-4. This is a bit counterintuitive because at similar total grain lengths the zone is basically the same length as the WA body, it's just much beefier and much heavier for the body section, as the WA includes tip weight for their line designations and the zone doesn't. I don't own a skagit head for my 8wt, I just use the zone as my "skagit" I guess, although it's been a long time since I used it. In 8wt it can turnover any of those 162grain 12' opst tips you like no problem. Again, not as easily as a true skagit, but since you're throwing so much weight with an 8wt zone, it can be done.

The steelheadfinder45 (although I think they have dropped the '45' label from it) is only a couple feet longer than the zone but it has more taper and less turnover power....advantage vs the WA is that it comes in multi density (like the zone). Its much closer to your wa than the zone so you won't be gaining much versatility vs what you ready have, besides the multi density part. If you want to lose the skagit vibe then its worth trying. It was originally designed to be fished mainly with light polys or just straight mono (let the multi density sink it), but it is just fine with tips like a WA.

Nextcast is kind of complicated on paper.

Last edited:

bhudda

heffe'
An old airflo NW SKAGIT was the best short head made IMO....find one, fish it!

p.s. - Evan, any of those still around in the depths of SW WASHINGTON? :)

Creatch'r

Unhinged Member
If I could smoothly throw the 132gr 12’ OPST tips and a 4” bunny worm with a F1 zone or F1 finder I’d probably be inclined to call that the perfect big river tamer IMO. I will definitely love to borrow that Zone you got GOTY.

If I could get off the bunny titty I’d have more options but I’m in too deep at this point.

dustinchromers

If I could smoothly throw the 132gr 12’ OPST tips and a 4” bunny worm with a F1 zone or F1 finder I’d probably be inclined to call that the perfect big river tamer IMO. I will definitely love to borrow that Zone you got GOTY.

If I could get off the bunny titty I’d have more options but I’m in too deep at this point.

The zone is only a couple feet shorter than the finder and way more powerful..I don't get clunky at all out of the zone but then again my silky smooth jazz casting stroke likely polishes any rough edges. At the end of the day I think you will like the zone for fishing. I always want more for casting but for fishing the zone is, well, in the zone.

Speaking of fishing and necessity. I once camped remotely at this small crater pond thing for work. My fellow cruiser swore there were fish in this thing. He had the trout unlimited fly package you get with a subscription. I cut a "Spey rod" from a green alder sapling. I made a "line" out of pieces of cordage. We got it wet for adequate weight. An eight pound chunk of Maxima finished it off asking with some fine tuning for rod and line. We caught a bunch of very hungry fish and ate them. It was an interesting education in Spey mechanics.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts