An Albacore Story

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
Great read. During my seafood career, I purchased 1,000’s of tons of frozen whole round albacore on the Westcoast to supply raw material to canneries in Spain and France.

I’m interested in the word “carking.” I’ve “loined” a tuna but never “carked” a tuna- at least that I’m aware of. Is this the term your skipper used for processing tuna?

Carking seems to be the standard term for loining albacore these days. At least in the sport world. Though now that I think about it I heard the term when I worked on a commercial boat in 2015 as well.

veilside180sx

Carking seems to be the standard term for loining albacore these days. At least in the sport world. Though now that I think about it I heard the term when I worked on a commercial boat in 2015 as well.
Pretty universally used between sport & commercial at the ports I frequent.

doublebluff

Go Beavs
The tuna cleaning was worth every penny. First of all, you end up with all the meat nicely bagged up for you at the end of a day where you don't really want to move your muscles too much. Second, it was awesome watching the guy anchored agains the cutting board cleaning those fish, working against 5 foot swells, taking big seawater shots over the top or sides of the boat. He was a machine.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts