Carrying two rods

802flyfish

My son has been looking at something like this thinking 2 rods would be handy. Most of our streams are like this, and l just think it would always be catching the brush above or behind you, and you would never get in or out. I think we're seeing water type and preferred techniques influence the choice. View attachment 268868
Obviously it wouldn’t work for every scenario, especially if this is the majority of your fishing. However, for MT & salt fishing it works great for me. It’s never interfered with my casting.

I went to Alaska in September and bushwhacked with two fully rigged rods, while trying to juggle bear spray and keep my balance. Just took my time & slowly navigated my way though. It was the pain in the ass but it was a better alternative then rigging up a new rod every time.

D313D3FE-2672-4FC2-B9DF-BB566550630B.jpeg

Shad

If it's all going to be traditional, one fly setups, I'll often opt for one rod. If I'm fishing nymphs under an indicator, I like to leave a dedicated setup ready to fish, because it can be a pain to set up in the field, and time is fish! Certain streamer setups are also sort of specialized. I sometimes end up with 3 setups (and usually upset with myself for bringing that much later on).

In most cases, I think two rods, set up to fish and broken down to 2 pieces, held together with hair ties, is my sweet spot for trout fishing. An extra spool works, too, but I much prefer not having to switch out the lines to try a different presentation. Yes, it gets to be a pain going back to retrieve the other rod, but I think it's a fair tradeoff.

still releasing

Quick-cast Saw this at enough fly fishing shows to pull the trigger. It takes a few times to get the hang but is great to have a 2nd rod rigged up and not in the way. And it looks like they've come out with a new version since I picked up mine.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I have a spot in my pack where I can keep an extra rod. If I'm fishing with one, I'll just break the other in half (sometimes in 4) and stow until I want it.

It is the best system I've found, but still a pain.

8065BC05-860D-4FAE-9017-BC00E191E77D_zps9wxjrewf.jpg

the_grube

I sometimes fish 2 rods while walkin' and wading, but only if I know where I'm fishing. There's a few runs that are worth covering with 2 different setups, and I can set my second rod in a visible location from wherever I'm fishing.

Other than that I think it's a PITA carrying a 2nd stick.

BDD

I never carry a second rod unless I'm in a boat of some kind then I'll carry 4 or 5 if needed. Most small creeks that are very brushy, I never carry more than a single rod and a floating line, I wouldn't feel right about even fishing a nymph, let alone a sink tip or carrying a second rod. On larger rivers walking and wading, I used to carry two rods but usually it was a fly rod and a gear rod. Anymore that got to be too big a hassle and now I pick in advance how I will fish that day and be done with it. Sometimes I win, sometimes the fish wins. I can live with that.

Ricardo

Many fly competition angles carry the second rod tucked in the waders on the non-dominant hand side (see picture). Once you are in the river it is a good option (although it takes some time to get used to it), but it sucks for getting to the river if you have to go through some vegetation cover...

1611854436445.png

Mattkot

Here’s what works for me....

One rod is a trout spey. Just take the shooting head off and replace with a long euro leader attached to your shooting line (I use lazar line) and it’s a REALLY easy switch between Spey and Euro. Fish the Spey by stepping down a run and you nymph the other direction. Piece of cake and you just stuff the unused head/euro leader in your sink tip wallet or wader pocket etc. the trout Spey works really well as a euro rod

second rod is your dry fly rod. In a pinch you can add a short sink tip if you want to strip streamers.

I leave the unused rod fully assembled and tucked into the large back pocket in my vest. It’ll stick about 2 feet of the rod in it and the whole thing leans to my off hand side (leans to my left as a cast right handed) and stays out of the way.

Now with two rods you can handle the following:

dry
Dry dropper
Strip streamers

euro nymph
Swing streamers.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Obviously it wouldn’t work for every scenario, especially if this is the majority of your fishing. However, for MT & salt fishing it works great for me. It’s never interfered with my casting.

I went to Alaska in September and bushwhacked with two fully rigged rods, while trying to juggle bear spray and keep my balance. Just took my time & slowly navigated my way though. It was the pain in the ass but it was a better alternative then rigging up a new rod every time.

View attachment 269083

I have this system and it works well. I use it to carry a second rod to beaches that require a 10 minute hike or more, in case I break one. I’ve used it on rivers as well though I have found hiking through underbrush is not ideal. You can break the rod in two, hold it together with gear ties and still use the system though.

My wife randomly found this online and bought it for me for x-mas this year. I have not used it but it also looks promising and versatile.

Last edited:

BC33

I almost always carry 3 rods walking and wading. Some combo of nymph/streamer/dry. I have the rods, might as well use em.....imo, the inherent annyonaces that come along with it are far out-weighed by the convenience of changing tactics back and forth on the fly.

Ricardo

I have this system and it works well. I use it to carry a second rod to beaches that require a 10 minute hike or more, in case I break one. I’ve used it on rivers as well though I have found hiking through underbrush is not ideal. You can break the rod in two, hold it together with gear ties and still use the system though.

My wife randomly found this online and bought it for me for x-mas this year. I have not used it but it also looks promising and versatile.

This looks and sounds very interesting, especially after it says that you can use gopro addons. I would love to hear any feedback you have after some real field testing...

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I do my best to take as little stuff with me as possible. I already take too much gear. Taking more than one rod is a non-starter.

I actually can't think of any circumstance in which I need an extra rod; with fairly small changes, I can do euro nymphing, fish dries, swing wets, throw streamers or fish with an indicator. I wonder if the OP actually needs more versatile gear, or some rigging tricks, instead.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts