Chironomid Gill Tricks 2

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I posted up some gill tricks awhile back for chironomids, but found that I was struggling tying down the gills once I had run them through my bead without having the thread already on the hook. So I figured out something else.

So I put the bead on to start, lay down some thread and then I push the threader through the bead. After that I pull my gill material through the threader, and then through the bead. After that it is easier to tie the gills off.

Wrap thread behind the bead. 4DE46DE4-C7C7-46A0-BCBD-F1679FAD9BD7.jpeg

Push threader through the bead. A612FF76-3D9A-4E82-A915-35F3655FD6DC.jpeg

Insert gill material into the threader. 7F407A27-3C07-483F-94D1-DE7C676C7BC8.jpeg

Pull the gill material through. C2D52D98-02CF-4C13-9EFD-66A7C6992440.jpeg

Trim! 5AF6D0F4-7A62-49C6-A55C-ADE5D6C35C9A.jpeg

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
why not tie the gill on and then push the bead up to the hook eye? That's how I did it.

That’s how I used to do it, and that is how most people do it, but that requires you to tie on the gills, tie off the thread and then run the bead over the gills. Then you have to wrap the thread back oN. That works, but it was difficult to keep things small enough to run the bead over and sometimes shoving the bead forward would cut the thread and I’d have to start over again. Flipping the bead around so the wider end was towards the eye helped with some of that, but then that would often crowd the eye.

This method works for me and will likely work for others as well.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
i install the bead onto the hook and leave it at the bend

then i tie the gills/breathers on behind the eye and trim on an angle and add a little coat of super glue

with the tying thread still behind the hook eye, i push the bead over the tied down gills/breathers and then make a wrap of thread directly over and behind the bead.

no extra tools and no need to cut thread and then reattach thread. fish will never know or even care

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
i install the bead onto the hook and leave it at the bend

then i tie the gills/breathers on behind the eye and trim on an angle and add a little coat of super glue

with the tying thread still behind the hook eye, i push the bead over the tied down gills/breathers and then make a wrap of thread directly over and behind the bead.

no extra tools and no need to cut thread and then reattach thread. fish will never know or even care

Again though, I was having trouble pushing the bead up over my Gill materials once they were Wrapped on. So I devised a way that works well for me. I have also pulled my thread over the bead as well, but I personally didn’t like the look.

Squamishpoacher

I used to do it that way using a piece of extra small tying wire. I also have used the thread over bead which I found would break and leave a small tag hanging down. Now I use white Uni-Stretch for gills and often on 18s and 20s I don't bother with it as at that size you hardly and sometimes never notice it on the natural. Uni-Stretch is easily tied in place and never had a problem on hooks down to an 18 as it's not a bulky fibre. For bigger chironomids I double it over. I think Antron, even when reduced by splitting, is bulkier and Uni-Stretch provides uniform consistency.
This is a size 18 on a Maruti c46hw hook. Not the best photo but hopefully it gives you the idea.
IMG_20210125_163843456_copy_640x480_copy_232x217.jpg

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I used to do it that way using a piece of extra small tying wire. I also have used the thread over bead which I found would break and leave a small tag hanging down. Now I use white Uni-Stretch for gills and often on 18s and 20s I don't bother with it as at that size you hardly and sometimes never notice it on the natural. Uni-Stretch is easily tied in place and never had a problem on hooks down to an 18 as it's not a bulky fibre. For bigger chironomids I double it over. I think Antron, even when reduced by splitting, is bulkier and Uni-Stretch provides uniform consistency.
This is a size 18 on a Maruti c46hw hook. Not the best photo but hopefully it gives you the idea.
View attachment 269142

I know a lot of people who use uni-stretch and I know it works, but I just have more faith in Antron for gills. I’ll likely continue to use this technique even if I switch to uni.

Phil Fravel

Friendly
Before Antron I used white ostrich heel and had great success. Then I used Antron in the same way Irafly showed ( great and helpful step by step Irafly). But I seemed to notice less takes. Could of been year with less fish I don’t know. I’ve Always believed the fish tuned in on the white because back in the 80’s the flys with the larger gill did better. Then. I notices how Antron looses its white color when underwater. Since then I’ve gone to just white bead. The Snowcone does not look as cool but it sure is easy to knock out. All that said. I have not had a fish tell me yet what they prefer.

All that said Irafly fly box I’m sure looks way cooler than mine.

bowsnbrews

Maybe over complicating it? I've never had a problem cutting the thread when tying in the gills and pushing the bead over with the wide opening towards they, nor have I had an issue with crowding the eye (when using the appropriate sized bead for the hook). One trick I use and can be seen in the pic, is catching in the gill material through the middle close to the hook eye and doubling it over on the the first thread wrap then pulling both sides up and lashing down with a few more wraps.. This way it never makes contact with the smaller opening on the back of the bead and completely hides the bulk under the bead.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 17

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts