Chironomid Gill Tricks 2

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Maybe over complicating it? I've never had a problem cutting the thread when tying in the gills and pushing the bead over with the wide opening towards they, nor have I had an issue with crowding the eye (when using the appropriate sized bead for the hook). One trick I use and can be seen in the pic, is catching in the gill material through the middle close to the hook eye and doubling it over on the the first thread wrap then pulling both sides up and lashing down with a few more wraps.. This way it never makes contact with the smaller opening on the back of the bead and completely hides the bulk under the bead.

Have you tried my trick yet? Give it a try, you might find that it is not over thinking at all.

Hookset

WFF Supporter
Or tie the chronie with no gills. I have not noticed one bit of difference with gills vs no gills.
I’m not partial to tying on gills. I use a silver bead which I believe replicates gills holding air bubble. I agree that anecdotally, my success rates don’t differ with flies tied either way, so I choose lazy.

Buzzy

Maybe over complicating it? I've never had a problem cutting the thread when tying in the gills and pushing the bead over with the wide opening towards they, nor have I had an issue with crowding the eye (when using the appropriate sized bead for the hook). One trick I use and can be seen in the pic, is catching in the gill material through the middle close to the hook eye and doubling it over on the the first thread wrap then pulling both sides up and lashing down with a few more wraps.. This way it never makes contact with the smaller opening on the back of the bead and completely hides the bulk under the bead.
I use a variation of your technique and likely will give Irabobberguy's trick a try as well. The comment you made about "appropriate" sized bead rings really true for me - I don't always have the right bead and for what it is worth, not all beads are created equal, even from the same pacakage. The other day I was fitting beads onto hooks in preparation for gills (and wing buds, thanks again for the photos) and had to sort through my beads to finds ones that would fit this particular hook. Some from the package wouldn't fit at all, some would.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I’m not partial to tying on gills. I use a silver bead which I believe replicates gills holding air bubble. I agree that anecdotally, my success rates don’t differ with flies tied either way, so I choose lazy.
If you are not partial to tying on gills and you don't see a difference, why did you click on a Chironomid Gill Tricks thread? :)

Just having fun!

Dave Boyle

I use a variation of your technique and likely will give Irabobberguy's trick a try as well. The comment you made about "appropriate" sized bead rings really true for me - I don't always have the right bead and for what it is worth, not all beads are created equal, even from the same pacakage. The other day I was fitting beads onto hooks in preparation for gills (and wing buds, thanks again for the photos) and had to sort through my beads to finds ones that would fit this particular hook. Some from the package wouldn't fit at all, some would.
How do you know it’s not the hook ;) I was beading up some hooks tonight and 1 in 3 needed a ‘nudge’ to get the bead over barb/round bend. Using Alec Jackson’s covert nymph 15 with 2 mm beads. I like Ira’s approach but I’ve switched to monocord so I don’t have some issue as with unruly Antron but I’ve loads of that to get rid of....

Makes me think of Jerry Buron’s wingcases. You could pull through orange Fluoro thread at same time as Antron and then pull back over bead and tie off.

I love innovation or in reality promoting what others already do.....

Dave

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
How do you know it’s not the hook ;) I was beading up some hooks tonight and 1 in 3 needed a ‘nudge’ to get the bead over barb/round bend. Using Alec Jackson’s covert nymph 15 with 2 mm beads. I like Ira’s approach but I’ve switched to monocord so I don’t have some issue as with unruly Antron but I’ve loads of that to get rid of....

Makes me think of Jerry Buron’s wingcases. You could pull through orange Fluoro thread at same time as Antron and then pull back over bead and tie off.

Dave

That is a great idea! I’ll try it tomorrow!

Dave Boyle

Following your style Ira, you could fold back some Antron as wing cases and hit it with an orange or other coloured pens.

As with all tying the permutations of tying even basic stuff like chironomids is infinite. I love it!

Dave

onefish

If you are not partial to tying on gills and you don't see a difference, why did you click on a Chironomid Gill Tricks thread? :)

Just having fun!
I click on all trout related stuff to see if I can learn new stuff to incorporate. Just because I tend not to use gills doesn't mean I can't change my mind if I see something great to copy.
I mostly use white tipped beads instead of gills or white markers and in algae lakes, white beads.
I fish 30+ feet most of the time so it is probably a different game than fishing shallow.

Buzzy

Dave
Oh - you mean inconsistencies in the hooks as well? Yeah, I'd thought about that too and there are times when it does seem to be variations in the hook are the cause. I can usually spot differences in hole diameter in beads but I can't see differences in hook bends so I blame the beads - there you go: blame it on the beads. I like your idea on Jerry Buron's wing cases using deep water guy Irabobber's technique.

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I click on all trout related stuff to see if I can learn new stuff to incorporate. Just because I tend not to use gills doesn't mean I can't change my mind if I see something great to copy.
I mostly use white tipped beads instead of gills or white markers and in algae lakes, white beads.
I fish 30+ feet most of the time so it is probably a different game than fishing shallow.
30+ feet is shallow :)

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
yup been doing it that way for years. best ever. sorry did not think to post.
Nope, it is all my idea, totally original. Did I mention that I’m also the first person to figure out how to wrap a feather around a hook to make hackle? Or how to use wire to make a rib?
:)

Anytime I figure something out for myself anymore, I just assume I’m late to the game! You should ask me about my first “Horizontal” leeches, I thought I was so clever... Until I saw someone else do it in a much easier way.

What other tricks do you have that you aren’t sharing?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts