Help me pick a new 6wt intermediate / sink 3 line

NRC

WFF Supporter
My Airflo 40+ Wf6 type III sink is finally giving out. It has been a fantastic line both in terms of durability and ease of casting + management. Hell, if you had a new or lightly used one you wanted to sell me right now, I'd take it.

But this is probably a good opportunity for me to branch out as well. I was very intrigued by the Arctic Silver MD Compact intermediate line review @Kfish kindly put together a while back. Sounds like an excellent line and very similar to the feel of the Airflo 40+ type III.

But I do think I want to go full intermediate. I tend to retrieve pretty fast anyway, so I rarely worry about hanging up on the bottom and I like being able to pause for a few seconds after casting and let my line and fly get down there a ways. Maybe I am overthinking that aspect and can get plenty of depth even with the running line floating.

I didn't see a full intermediate option on the Silver Arctic site. Any other suggestions you all have for full intermediate lines you like to fish the Sound with?

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
I'm becoming more and more a fan of the RIO Coastal Quickshooter lately, after having a bit of a love-hate relationship with it for the past few years. One or two false casts to get the head out, let the road load and let it fly. Super nice casting line, throws super tight loops and doesn't feel like a big clunky shooting head. Plus it can launch really big flies. I fish a 5wt and have launched 5 inch weighted smelt patterns without much of a hitch.
I think they've improved the durability of the line greatly. My current Quickshooter is a year and a half old, got a few small cracks but nothing major.
Plus I really like the clear head and hi-vis running line.

Buzzy

I'm becoming more and more a fan of the RIO Coastal Quickshooter lately, after having a bit of a love-hate relationship with it for the past few years. One or two false casts to get the head out, let the road load and let it fly. Super nice casting line, throws super tight loops and doesn't feel like a big clunky shooting head. Plus it can launch really big flies. I fish a 5wt and have launched 5 inch weighted smelt patterns without much of a hitch.
I think they've improved the durability of the line greatly. My current Quickshooter is a year and a half old, got a few small cracks but nothing major.
I'm with Ian; love/hate thing. The memory of with the running line is troublesome but if I take the time to stretch it then that's less of an issue. The @F6 on my 690 Ion XL are a magic combo.

Reactions: NRC

ffb

Cortland Compact Type 3. Been very happy with this line so far, going on about a year with it so far. Few tangles and slick coating shoots great.

Reactions: NRC

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
I'm with Ian; love/hate thing. The memory of with the running line is troublesome but if I take the time to stretch it then that's less of an issue. The @F6 on my 690 Ion XL are a magic combo.
I have the same thoughts about the line and experience. It is a love/hate relationship.

Kelzinga

Ian what is your downfalls of this line. I am also looking for a new sound line and shopping around

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
What other lines have you fished @NRC?

I have fished the RIO CQS, SA Titan, Airflo 40+ and the RIO OBS and my favorite is still the OBS though it pains me to say it. As we all know, RIO has issues with durability and running line tangles and that has certainly been my experience. For me though, the OBS is still the best line for PS fishing from a casting perspective with the rods I fish most. I am hoping they fixed some of these issues with their newest offerings that just came out.

I really like the Titan too and agree the CQS cast great, although the older ones I owned seemed underweighted and I had multiple lines break :(.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Ian what is your downfalls of this line. I am also looking for a new sound line and shopping around

The main deal with the Quickshooter has been the running line. In the past It would crack and sometimes completely fall apart or break, and the cracking line would then tangle. Definitely not fun when 90% of beach fishing is repetitively casting long distances.

But, RIO has updated the running line lately and it seems to be holding up much, much better. I give the line a GENTLE stretch on the bottom half before fishing it and again if I need to. Like I said my current Quickshooter has been going for over a year and some with pretty substantial use and hasn't had any serious cracks yet. The other good news is that I bought my first quickshooter in 2016 and have only paid for one. Should the line get thrashed you can send it back to RIO and they'll replace it for free. And, I'll reiterate how much of a joy it is to cast.

NRC

WFF Supporter
What other lines have you fished @NRC?

I have fished the RIO CQS, SA Titan, Airflo 40+ and the RIO OBS and my favorite is still the OBS though it pains me to say it. As we all know, RIO has issues with durability and running line tangles and that has certainly been my experience. For me though, the OBS is still the best line for PS fishing from a casting perspective with the rods I fish most. I am hoping they fixed some of these issues with their newest offerings that just came out.

I really like the Titan too and agree the CQS cast great, although the older ones I owned seemed underweighted and I had multiple lines break :(.
Thanks to everyone for the replies! Got a lot to think about. @jasmillo , I have fished an OBS, Airflo beach, Airflo ridge striper, and the 40+. OBS I could cast well but as with many others I got sick of durability problems. Then I wandered around in the wilderness with the Airflo ridge and beach lines mentioned above before landing on the 40+ and loving it.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Thanks to everyone for the replies! Got a lot to think about. @jasmillo , I have fished an OBS, Airflo beach, Airflo ridge striper, and the 40+. OBS I could cast well but as with many others I got sick of durability problems. Then I wandered around in the wilderness with the Airflo ridge and beach lines mentioned above before landing on the 40+ and loving it.

I forgot about the Airflo Beach. I have that one as well in a 6 weight. You might try the SA Titan. I have fished a couple different versions of those and have liked them. The one I have now is for my 7 weight used for coho. I think the SA Titan sink cold which comes in at least two head lengths. It has an intermediate running line but it might sink a little faster that you are looking for.

Crossing my fingers on the durability of my current OBS lines though. I have had my full intermediate for going on two years now with no cracks and it has been fished a lot for SRC. I have had to replace multiple type 3’s though. Let us know what you end up with. I am always looking for reviews of new lines. Seems like I spend more time thinking about lines than rods for Puget Sound.

wetswinger

Wulff Triangle Taper Saltwater Intermediate. Sinks a little faster than the Airflo I've used. Easy to cast as it rolls over so nice. Feels a little light so order up one size heavier.

P.S. This is a constant conversation on this website, so be sure to use the search tool for a buttload of information...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts