Help me pick a new 6wt intermediate / sink 3 line

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
cast the coastal quick shooter a little over a year ago in a 6 wt. thought it was light. Didn’t seem like it loaded the rod that well but then I was casting out the back door of the shop not at the beach. My OBS has really just barely been barely better than a standard WF line. sink rate is poor. ready for another brand also.

newfydog

Check out the Sunray lines. I have the floating and the full sink, and they do indeed cast a mile. I find the Rio lines and even Cortland clear camo prone to tangling. The Airflo have been my favorite but the Sunray may replace them.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Check out the Sunray lines. I have the floating and the full sink, and they do indeed cast a mile. I find the Rio lines and even Cortland clear camo prone to tangling. The Airflo have been my favorite but the Sunray may replace them.

Just took a peek at those- they look damn sweet. And here I said I wasn't going to buy any more lines. I need another floater though, might have to check one out.

The overhang marker is a kinda neat idea, definitely a good indicator of cast timing that will give the angler feedback if they're struggling casting or not getting everything out of their cast. Most powerful modern tapers and shooting heads behave the same way, find the sweet spot and you only need one or two false casts.

adamcu280

So far my sample size for beach lines is my 5wt Coastal Quickshooter. I have had my fair share of running line tangles. Some days/casts it's completely confounding and some days/casts it's a non-issue. I used to think that maybe a bigger stripping basket would help the line flake out but from the sounds of it everyone else has the same issues. Max cast distance on a good day with my St. Croix Legend 9056 (circa 1993) seems to be about 20-30' of running line out past the rod tip.

I did just get a 6wt Arctic Silver intermediate and I'm excited to give it a try with the same rod, but I'm also looking at the 9'6" 6wt Redington Predator because why not...

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter

Interesting! How's the "Micro thin running line" for stripping/handling?

newfydog

Interesting! How's the "Micro thin running line" for stripping/handling?
You mean like mending in a river after shooting the entire head? It sucks.

Stripping it is just fine, does not kink, piles up nicely, plays fish by stripping (rather than reel) like any other line. Nothing like a mono line with a skagit head or anything like that.

I am a firm believe that distance is the least important part of casting in a stream. However, I do fish lakes from a float tube or pontoon a fair bit and often the farther you cast, the more water and fish you cover. My Sunray lines are my boat lines.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
You mean like mending in a river after shooting the entire head? It sucks.

Stripping it is just fine, does not kink, piles up nicely, plays fish by stripping (rather than reel) like any other line. Nothing like a mono line with a skagit head or anything like that.

I am a firm believe that distance is the least important part of casting in a stream. However, I do fish lakes from a float tube or pontoon a fair bit and often the farther you cast, the more water and fish you cover. My Sunray lines are my boat lines.
I mostly meant for stripping, not mending. I've found I sometimes miss my strip with the Commando Smooth, especially with gloves on. But I also have a couple running lines that will not stay in my basket. Kind of sproingy, I guess.

Sounds like this one might be worth a try - thanks!

DerekWhipple

Is the "new" Airflo even making beach or 40+ lines anymore? I couldn't find them on their website. They've got the sniper still, but that's in 8, 9, 10.

Reactions: NRC

NRC

WFF Supporter
In a somewhat unexpected twist I ended up buying a CCS AND an Arctic silver MD compact, haha. I’ll probably also grab a sonar titan sometime before summer to be able to fish a little deeper on those Area 9 beaches. Probably give the MD Compact a go tomorrow. Thanks everyone for weighing in! Will report back if I have an especially bad or good experience

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts