Orvis Bellevue Now Closed

RLMadison

I didn't know if everyone knew, but Orvis Bellevue closed last Friday 1/22. They had not found a new location at the time of the closing. Apparently, this had to do with a major luxury condominium/hotel development scheduled to be built on the same block.

Because if downtown Bellevue needs anything, it certainly needs more luxury condominiums. Orvis was the only reason I would ever go near the place. Now taking that off the must-return list along with downtown Seattle - but for polar opposite reasons.

Last edited:

Albula

swollen member
While I completely sympathize with the fly shop employees who have to move on and are forced to make other plans there is a certain poetic justice when Orvis gets hosed by a luxury condo development. Given the number of small non-affiliated fly shops that have been negatively impacted by their relentless search for greater market share it is hard to feel any sorrow when the "Big O" is forced to take one in the shorts.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I would say we do not know all the reasons for closure. Orvis had plenty of notification. Obviously Covid had an impact. In-store purchases dropped dramatically due to internet sales.. Rent is very expensive in DT Bellevue. Does their business model support profitability?

They do have great products and very knowledgeable people.

I do hope they open a brick and mortar store but only time will tell...

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
I worked across the street 31 years ago for Kemper Freeman when Bellevue Place was built-well before Orvis was there.

For years I had wished Orvis was there during my short stint so I guess I can now let that pain pass in an odd way.

Fewer reasons to ever go there again; my old haunts..

Bonsai

Jerry
I rec'd a postcard from Orvis announcing a move to DT Seattle - across from the Patagonia store.
I thought, "Why in the hell would any retail business want to move to DT Seattle?"
How you doing Ron? I finished my man Cave. Need to stop by some time. I am with you, why would anyone want to move a small retail business to down town Seattle. I know I will never go there. Patrick's Fly shop is hard to get to as it is with the traffic and lack of easy (suburbia style parking), Orvis isn't going to be any better.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Thank god there are no young people that live in downtown Seattle that might be big consumers of soft goods like clothing, dog beds, outdoor gear etc.
Amazon must only be hiring geriatrics interested in fly fishing who work remotely and are to afraid to drive to downtown Seattle.
There is no way Orvis or Patagonia can ever make it there....
SF

Last edited:

Sportsman

While I completely sympathize with the fly shop employees who have to move on and are forced to make other plans there is a certain poetic justice when Orvis gets hosed by a luxury condo development. Given the number of small non-affiliated fly shops that have been negatively impacted by their relentless search for greater market share it is hard to feel any sorrow when the "Big O" is forced to take one in the shorts.
What Bullshit. Obviously, you never shopped there or considered any of them friends. Don't bother to reply.

cdnred

I rec'd a postcard from Orvis announcing a move to DT Seattle - across from the Patagonia store.
I thought, "Why in the hell would any retail business want to move to DT Seattle?"
For me to shop somewhere, I look at accessibility and "free" parking. DT Seattle has neither plus having to deal with all the major traffic congestion that Seattle has. Orvis may have their reasons for moving to DT Seattle but with their main store already being in Seattle, they'd be better off moving to the fringe of Seattle for ease of accessibility.. Just my 2 cents..

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Love Orvis stuff, but only been to that store once. Never liked the extra 10% tax on my mail order. Hate to see any business having difficulties, especially now.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
The Portland store shut down too. But they moved to a smaller (and presumably cheaper) location. Now they're going to basically be just a fly shop with dog stuff. No more luggage, clothing (minus fishing related stuff).....kinda like I wish they were when I worked there. I'm sure that the employees will be sad to not be asked to measure some old dudes inseam (yes, I was asked that.....twice...I respectfully declined both times). The local knowledge at the PDX store is top notch, right in line with any other regional fly shop. Except that most other fly shops are primarily geared towards salmonids and not much else.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts