Tyed Resin Scud With What I Have

billninke

WFF Supporter
I’m enamored with the legging technique on which Wes Penny recently posted a video. Didn’t have all his materials. No bright green Sharpie but an Almond (tan) one. No white antron but gray crinkly Zelon. No colored resins but many Sharpies and clear resin. Result is as shown below. Think it came out quite nice. Did one techniques change. Put resin across top of fly BEFORE stretching leg fibers across body. Then was able to stretch two separate horizontal ribbons of the Zelon across the body, adjust them, and then pull them down as legs before hitting resin with torch. Was easier and seemed more uniform for me than Wes’s technique.
Resin Scud.JPG

Old Trout11

Very nice. Very inventive. I am not very good at substituting materials. I would go out and buy everything called for on the original recipe. And if one pack is good, four is better. Its like garlic. Then i would tie a dozen, put all that material away , most likely never to the light again. So,
Professor, my hat is off to you.

Wes Penny

That looks amazing Professor!! Really nice work in substitutions and putting it together. One of the things I love about tying and sharing is not just seeing people try it but also in making it different, better, unique and so on. Awesome!!

BN2FSH

Wes Penny, I watched the video again and there are a couple of techniques I have never seen before. I have been tying flies for a looooong time and I tie lots. You are to be commended!

Dave Boyle

That is great, thank you Prof. for highlighting it Makes me think about some cool euphausiid patterns too, coming up for that time of yr :) Maybe less antron at the rear and move the orange dot towards the eye of the hook. Stuffed with work this week but maybe at the week end I'll try to match my mental hatch of shrimpy things.

Dave

Wes Penny

Wes Penny, I watched the video again and there are a couple of techniques I have never seen before. I have been tying flies for a looooong time and I tie lots. You are to be commended!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate that and it’s very rewarding to know that other tiers enjoy the videos and flys. I just have a lot of fun tying.
Cheers

billninke

WFF Supporter
That looks amazing Professor!! Really nice work in substitutions and putting it together. One of the things I love about tying and sharing is not just seeing people try it but also in making it different, better, unique and so on. Awesome!!
Thanks Wes for your kind comments. Both you and Arshan Kahn (makflies) have opened my eyes to working with stretch cord. Really like the translucence it brings to a pattern. I'm now trying to do a Houdini weave with it instead of using opaque wire. It's challenging. but I'm almost there.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts