Practical Benefits of Fly Fishing

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I've done very little fly fishing on lakes, but I keep thinking about getting into it. What are the practical benefits of fly fishing on lakes, instead of using gear? Enjoying fly fishing more is a valid reason in itself, but I'm curious about purely practical matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

troutpocket

That’s an odd question. I’d say the same benefits apply across most fisheries; If you like to cast flies, you can be very effective on lakes...And rivers, the salt, etc. A practical benefit might be access to the handful of fly fishing only lakes around the state.

Zak

WFF Supporter
I haven't done a whole lot of fly fishing for trout in lakes (lots for bass, though). I'm getting into it more now. The thing I'm liking best is learning new things about the natural history of trout and the things they eat.

Learning about thermoclines and how water boatmen can fall like rain is just cool.

Plus, as Ratty says in Wind in the Willows, "There is nothing so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

I enjoy fishing with flies (and tying them) more than fishing with gear. Whatever the waterbody.

Paul_

I fished a selective gear lake for years with gear.
I now fish that same lake with flies.
I catch more and bigger fish with flies than I ever did with gear.
So to break it down to practical maters, you catch more fish fly fishing;).
Plus of course you look cooler casting a fly rod.

Paul_

To those who mentioned that they catch bigger fish and a larger quantity, why is that?
I think a fish is more apt to eat something that looks natural and is what they are used to eating/seeing. Leeches for a example just look fishy-
6E3C6601-D02A-4C3A-9987-25377C37B037.jpeg

Compare that to gear tackle. Which looks like nothing natural in the lake-
054858A6-54E4-4475-9FD4-170785345652.jpeg

Err, Um, wait...
Disregard what I said above. It’s probably all bs because I catch a lot of fish on this “fly”-
5DF02E90-D9CB-4BA9-BE53-25031945A221.jpeg

Also, don’t hate on my gear selection. There is no way I’m showing you guys and gals my good spinners and spoons.

Last edited:

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Practically, go fly fishing on a lake with someone who knows there shit and you'll notice the guy or girl fishing flies out fishes the gear guys substantially on the reg. Example, this summer I fished a Westside lake with my 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter, they each only caught a couple dinks. Certainly nothing to write home about. I, on the other hand destroyed them. Huge fish, repeatedly. I concluded based on that single (not in anyway anecdotal experience) that gear fishing lakes is for losers.

Also, some good lakes are fly fishing only.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Sorry for the lengthy response...

Fishing lakes is an entirely different than fishing streams and creeks. I am truly a small creek or stream fisherman for sure. There is nothing like a trout taking a dry fly and watching a trout take that fly. With the flow of the water plus the trout is exhilarating for sure! A 5 lb. brown in a swift creek is NEVER like trout from a lake.

I was fishing Fish Lake near Lworth with gear. I started using a fly and caught twice as many fish. I fished Rattlesworm lake and had fisherman following me and cussing because I am catching twice as much as them and releasing them! They were following me and I was catching fish 5' in front of their boats using a fly near their hardware. They were pissed to say the least.

YES you will catch larger fish versus hardware fisherman, without a doubt, BUT it is not the same experience as fishing a stream!

I live on a small lake with great fishing for sure! I can tell by the strike whether it is a 16", 18", 20" fish. Yet I am surprised when a "runaway freight train" attacks a fly aka 'fish on!'. The largest trout I caught was 31". Yet I am bored with lake fishing. I invite people over to the lake I live on to make memories. Check out my other posts...

I was fishing Rocking Chair Creek and the MT Fishing group wanted all fish kept in a slot limit. A first for me so I complied. I took the fish to a local fish restaurant and gave it to them. WAY more than I could eat. The chef cooked them his way and it feed all of of his staff. My dinners were free for several nights...

If you want good tasting fish, catch them from a cold stream. Fish in lakes, especially from EWA, are muddy tasting at best!

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts