Trip help

Tyler Speir

Artist
Hey guys,
Been a long time sense I've posted on here, but I need some help. I'm flying down to Texas on March 10th to pick up and RV and driving it back to Washington with my dad. My dad is not getting any younger so I'm taking this opportunity to spend some time with him on the water and cross off a bucket list trip. I have a list of rivers I want fish on our way up. I'm just concerned about the weather and overall fishing conditions that time of year. I was hoping maybe you guys had some ideas that I might be missing. I was hoping to find something down south on the beginning of the trip where we might have some warmer weather. The Jan Juan River situation really put a kink in my plans. I'm open to anything and everything, rivers, lakes, guided, non guided.
Here is the list in order I'm thinking about doing.

Dallas
San Juan River, NM (Just found out the San Juan is closed to non residents due to Covid on state land)
Green River, UT
Henry's Fork, ID
Yellowstone, MT
Missouri River, MT
Home

DanielOcean

If I was in your exact positions, and would acknowledge that you are in a state with world renowned largemouth bass fishing (TX). I would not want my dad to worry about lifting a finger to do anything except fish, and catch. I also would not want my Dad to feel guilty like I would be waiting on him hand and foot. Therefore, I would hire a guide to provide the luxury service so you and your Dad can just be father and son.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Green R., Utah. I fished it once, and our guide said he fishes it year around. Not sure about any of the others in March.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Might suggest thinking about the south platte in Colorado. Looks like you might be able to hit that in sequence either after the San Juan or after the Green.

camtheflyman

not sponsored
WFF Supporter
I agree with Daniel as far as hiring guides when possible. I know that it might get expensive, but it will yield a higher quality experience or as Daniel said you can fish as father and son. This does depend on how active your dad is and his skill level in fishing. If he is pretty active and is a capable fisherman, I would encourage wading and fishing when possible. It is cheaper and it might be great just being the two of you for awhile. Only you can make those decisions however so make sure to keep things flexible.

I have fished all of those rivers save the Henry's Fork, I would not try and wade fish the Green, you get your money's worth with a guide on that river. Other options that you might want to consider between the Green and Montana include the North Platte and the Bighorn in Wyoming or Montana. The Horn in Montana is one of my favorites.

As far as further south rivers, Lee's Ferry in AZ is about 5 hours west of the San Juan. You could also talk to Chris at the Kokopelli Angler for guide trip options; he is out of southern CO and guides the San Juan usually when it is not closed to out of staters. He would likely have some good ideas as well as James from about trout who is a guide in Chama, New Mexico. Here are a couple links https://www.abouttrout.com/ http://www.thekokopelliangler.com/

Good luck, sounds like an incredible trip!

Old406Kid

March 10th, or thereabouts, can be pretty winterish in some of those locations.
You could get lucky and time it right but you might not.

Tyler Speir

Artist
I agree with Daniel as far as hiring guides when possible. I know that it might get expensive, but it will yield a higher quality experience or as Daniel said you can fish as father and son. This does depend on how active your dad is and his skill level in fishing. If he is pretty active and is a capable fisherman, I would encourage wading and fishing when possible. It is cheaper and it might be great just being the two of you for awhile. Only you can make those decisions however so make sure to keep things flexible.

I have fished all of those rivers save the Henry's Fork, I would not try and wade fish the Green, you get your money's worth with a guide on that river. Other options that you might want to consider between the Green and Montana include the North Platte and the Bighorn in Wyoming or Montana. The Horn in Montana is one of my favorites.

As far as further south rivers, Lee's Ferry in AZ is about 5 hours west of the San Juan. You could also talk to Chris at the Kokopelli Angler for guide trip options; he is out of southern CO and guides the San Juan usually when it is not closed to out of staters. He would likely have some good ideas as well as James from about trout who is a guide in Chama, New Mexico. Here are a couple links https://www.abouttrout.com/ http://www.thekokopelliangler.com/

Good luck, sounds like an incredible trip!
I'm going to hire guides for sure. I'm not going to hold back on this trip. Ill check out Lee's Ferry, I've never heard of that one. It might be a good substitute for the San Juan.

camtheflyman

not sponsored
WFF Supporter
I'm going to hire guides for sure. I'm not going to hold back on this trip. Ill check out Lee's Ferry, I've never heard of that one. It might be a good substitute for the San Juan.
It is on my list of Rivers I would like to fish. It is supposed to be an incredibly unique experience. I fished the Green in march below Flaming Gorge and had a great time. Some BWOs usually come off and the hatches can get super thick. Solid nymphing most of the day.

One more thought is that there is a good chance it will still be "winter" in some of those areas so I would plan a back up for each non-tailwater. If the weather stays well below freezing for multiple days, you may experience slush in the freestones. The Yellowstone is close to some incredible spring creeks that stay open all year long and if you choose to add the Bighorn/Wind River (same river) there are both tailwater sections and freestone sections.

O. clarki

You might hit the Yellowstone before full runoff but it will be iffy. The Missouri is tailwater below Holter dam and should be ok. Gonna be chilly tho!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts