Albacore Flies

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
4 inch, 7 shanks game changer. Took me way longer than I care to admit haha.
The blue schlapen didn't lay down on top as nice as I'd wanted but it's the only blue thing around.
Next one will be all black.

View attachment 270438

Swim test in my state of the art test tank :)

Awesome! I love game changers. I might not tie any other streamers if it did not take me an hour per tie even for small ones.

Dammit. I had it in my head to tie some more SRC stuff later this afternoon. Now I’m going to have to resign myself to poorly replicating yet another one of your ties. Thanks a bunch kfish ;).

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Awesome! I love game changers. I might not tie any other streamers if it did not take me an hour per tie even for small ones.

Dammit. I had it in my head to tie some more SRC stuff later this afternoon. Now I’m going to have to resign myself to poorly replicating yet another one of your ties. Thanks a bunch kfish ;).
Sir you are too kind! :)

BriGuy

I actually did attempt to get it on video but only recorded the tail section then I got distracted had to stop. When I got back to the vise I thought I had hit record but actually did not :) just as well, would have took all night to edit anyway.

I have not tried it with a smaller fly, this is my first time trying the magic head. I'm sure it would work but probably less of an effect due to smaller size and mass.
Thanks, Kfish.

I did a little digging and found a video on tying a game changer using a pre-made spine and another by a foreign dude on the magic head. I think I'll put the two together and spend about 4 hours trying to tie a smaller version. Knowing my luck, I'll lose it on the first cast.

Off to see Bjorn at the Fly Fisher. If it turns out, I'll post a pic. BTW, I have one of those test tanks, too.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Did you use markers to color the top Jasmillo?
Yeah. Tried that with this one. Metallic green Sharpy plus some predator wrap. One thing I did not like with this one was the “fullness”. I essentially just palmered white schlappen for the whole body. 2 feathers until I hit the hook, then 3. Need some type of other filler material that blends well. I need to play around some more. Usually I use the short fat feathers for smaller game changers (I don’t know the technical name...hen saddles). @Nick Clayton, those are good for tails too. See attached for a different style articulated fly I tie for SRC. Tie them in full for a paddle like tail effect or clip the tip for a v shape tail. I have used all kinds of stuff though. That game changer I posted was grey ep fiber for the tail...colored with a bit of darker marker.
9E52375D-2D4A-484B-AC3D-18B4B48ABCAE.jpeg

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
What do you guys like for tail material for your game changers?
The latest one I tied for muskies, I just tied a mass of 4-5" saddle hackles with a little bit of flash. But I also tied it on aw fastach clip so that I can swap it out for a different tail. Honestly though, I just don't have the patience to tie very many of those things up. Kudos to @Kfish and @jasmillo for tying up that smaller size of changer (I say that totally tongue in cheek since theirs are still plenty sizable....fuck, all of that didn't come out right....).

tallguy

The insanity continues, flying fish bomber style on a spey hook size 1.
A lot of bucktails were killed for this, I do not see deer hair bass bugs in my future :) what a pain!

View attachment 270496 View attachment 270497

That is totally awesome. A micro flying fish. I would worry it would twist like crazy unless those wings are perfectly balanced, but you need to either catch an albacore on it, or give it to Silverfly to go fish BFT off SoCal with it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts