Albacore Flies

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
The insanity continues, flying fish bomber style on a spey hook size 1.
A lot of bucktails were killed for this, I do not see deer hair bass bugs in my future :) what a pain!

View attachment 270496 View attachment 270497

You know who REALLY LOVE flying fish... Yes, bluefin tuna. Don't show or share this fly with @SilverFly or he might have a coronary. ;) The recreational fishers in SoCal will fish live flying fish or use kites to suspend/skip dead flyfish right at the surface. Trolling this fly passively behind the boat while at a bait stop and the boat is drifting might be the perfect presentation.
Steve

Last edited:

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
The insanity continues, flying fish bomber style on a spey hook size 1.
A lot of bucktails were killed for this, I do not see deer hair bass bugs in my future :) what a pain!

I can see you false casting this over schools of albacore, just waiting for one to come flying out of the water and smash it in mid air. Kind of like the Brad Pitt shadow casting thing, only cool!

SilverFly

You know who REALLY LOVE flying fish... Yes, bluefin tuna. Don't show or share this fly with @SilverFly or he might have a coronary. ;) The recreational fishers in SoCal will fish live flying fish or use kites to suspend/skip dead flyfish right at the surface. Trolling this fly passively behind the boat while at a bait stop and the boat is drifting might be the perfect presentation.
Steve

Oh, trust me, I've got a virtual bait ball of flying fish pattern ideas skittering around in my noggin. What might actually give me a coronary, would be seeing him actually catch a bluefin on it. Not saying I'm an envious or competitive fisherman by nature. I'm truly happy for a fishing buddy to catch a great fish. And when fishing with a group, the absolute best is when everyone is getting into good fish. However, I am human and do have my limits. If @Kfish or someone else did catch a sizable Thunnus orientalis, on a topwater fly, and I was onboard, there's a chance someone might go for a swim. Just say'n ;)

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Oh, trust me, I've got a virtual bait ball of flying fish pattern ideas skittering around in my noggin. What might actually give me a coronary, would be seeing him actually catch a bluefin on it. Not saying I'm an envious or competitive fisherman by nature. I'm truly happy for a fishing buddy to catch a great fish. And when fishing with a group, the absolute best is when everyone is getting into good fish. However, I am human and do have my limits. If @Kfish or someone else did catch a sizable Thunnus orientalis, on a topwater fly, and I was onboard, there's a chance someone might go for a swim. Just say'n ;)
Especially if they refused to share the pattern...
Steve

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Well sounds like before calling for a gaff I'm shoving you overboard first.

Bring some water wings.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk

Thanks Guy, I just spit a drink all over my table!

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Base on some really good squid patterns on YouTube, would appreciate some feedbacks on size and color. I think the rear mantle shank needs better coverage for the gap, proportions does not look right to me. Tentacles are too long...?
Glad the impulsive hackle purchases have now become useful :)

PXL_20210208_043910486.jpg

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Base on some really good squid patterns on YouTube, would appreciate some feedbacks on size and color. I think the rear mantle shank needs better coverage for the gap, proportions does not look right to me. Tentacles are too long...?

View attachment 270764
Damn that's awesome Lou.

One thing I've been thinking. I see a ton of orange and pink squid fly patterns, but don't recall seeing any pictures of actual pink or orange squid?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter

View attachment 270764

I like it.

Once you swim it, you'll know better.....like will that mantle hold that shape when stripped?

re: tentacles/saddle hackle tails: I've always felt that it's best to tie them slightly long (with tails for me) since it's easy enough to shorten them as appropriate, but you'll never lengthen them.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Damn that's awesome Lou.

One thing I've been thinking. I see a ton of orange and pink squid fly patterns, but don't recall seeing any pictures of actual pink or orange squid?
Damn you're right, they're more white and brown. Found my pic of this fly caught squid, will have to readjust the proportions.
I think the color message the squid trying to tell me here is "F'k off!" IMG_20200926_062913.jpg

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I like it.

Once you swim it, you'll know better.....like will that mantle hold that shape when stripped?

re: tentacles/saddle hackle tails: I've always felt that it's best to tie them slightly long (with tails for me) since it's easy enough to shorten them as appropriate, but you'll never lengthen them.
Good points!

SilverFly

Well sounds like before calling for a gaff I'm shoving you overboard first.

Bring some water wings.
Well, I didn't specify who would be going for a swim. I might just chuck it all in at that point. ;)
Damn that's awesome Lou.

Good point. Hard to say what accurate squid colors are. In most of the pics or video I've found online they usually look reddish "orangy" brown. Or, pure white, black, purple, blue, not to mention the bioluminescent versions. I dunno, the damn things change color at will. Orange and pink definitely work though.

Bagman

Damn that's awesome Lou.

Here are a few pic of squid, they can turn on just about any color they wish

Attachments

• D6D97B12-4FC8-475B-BFFE-942B976CA7FC.jpeg
    D6D97B12-4FC8-475B-BFFE-942B976CA7FC.jpeg
    802.3 KB · Views: 8
  • F73183E3-675C-4B08-8F61-F04AB9E006C2.jpeg
    F73183E3-675C-4B08-8F61-F04AB9E006C2.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 834E60F0-7104-4FBC-9D94-96F7BBC63107.jpeg
    834E60F0-7104-4FBC-9D94-96F7BBC63107.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 8

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts