Albacore Flies

Kfish

WFF Supporter
That’s a fantastic fly and one I’ll likely not attempt my usual poor imitation of. Two dubbing loops per fly is my limit.

Actually, just remembered I have some pink ep brushes. Damn it kfish! I have chum fry to tie ;).
LOL thanks Jasmillo, I've yet to swim it so who knows how it'll fish. A lot of times flies don't just swim as I'd expect. Not in a hurry to tie another squid til I swim test it.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
View attachment 271144

I see many baitfish flies on Instagram that have that perfect tear drop shape with bucktail, no idea how they do it. Tried sweeping it with scissors edge but I think it's something else...
don't cut it at all. They taper it based on length of the bucktail (Gunnar mentions this a lot in his videos) and then wet it to get the final shape (sometimes multiple wet/dry cycles) for a photo. Ultimately it won't matter though as they seem to get that shape when swimming anyway....just if you want a good pic, wet it (obviously, I rarely do this....haha!)

Speyrod GB

You might consider looking at Bob Popovics' book Fleye Designs for bucktail info. It's a great resource. I never trimmed any ducktail for my tiger flies. Wet definitely looks different than dry. Just my .02. Unfortunately I have no albacore experience. Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying the effort.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Been cranking out quite a few albacore flies the last few weeks. I accumulated a large pile that I finally transferred into a box, and now I have an even larger pile ready. I highly enjoy sitting down every night, listening to tunes in my headphones, and cranking out flies.

Currently working on a variety to send to Evan.

_DSC1417-01.jpeg

wetswinger

FYI..just a heads up. "Bluewater" heading in the classifieds has some heavyweight flyrods on sale for a bargain price. Need a backup?

ps://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/163063/

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Dark gray GC, colored the back blue.
View attachment 271543
Hi Kfish,
I wonder what that style fly would look like in all-white or with white below and dark above (if possible)? An all-dark fly will be silhouetted against the downwelling bring light, but when the albacore closes in on the fly, most baitfish in this environment are not a uniform dark color but countershaded: light below, dark above.
On the other hand, if you were trying to create a killer tiger muskie fly (or largemouth bass fly) you are certainly on the money.
Steve

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Hi Kfish,
I wonder what that style fly would look like in all-white or with white below and dark above (if possible)? An all-dark fly will be silhouetted against the downwelling bring light, but when the albacore closes in on the fly, most baitfish in this environment are not a uniform dark color but countershaded: light below, dark above.
On the other hand, if you were trying to create a killer tiger muskie fly (or largemouth bass fly) you are certainly on the money.
Steve
My previous GC was just that, white with blue back :)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts