Albacore Flies

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Hand lining albacore is what Nick did when he was commercially fishing albacore.

It's also what I've had to do a fair amount on sport trips when multiple fish get tangled so badly that its quicker and easier to just yard them in by hand than mess with it.

I've hand lined 5 fish at a time more times than I can count. Especially when I was a deck hand.

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Have we considered The Human Indicator? I say IRA just throws on a life jacket, jumps in the water, and hand lines an albacore. Afterall, we are talking about the guy with this tattoo:

View attachment 271811

I'd pay to see that....

I've honestly given a fair bit of thought about hand lining for tigers....I actually have a setup that I could modify for such activities. It's gonna happen at some point....

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
god damn @Nick Clayton !!!!

That's damn impressive!

although, I don't see any Mako flies in there....haha! after Aug. 27th, you'll have a couple at least...although, send me your address and I'll send the two I tied up so you have them for the entire season (hopefully)....you know, just in case.

SilverFly

This guy hand lined a bluefin. Went out the next day in a 14 ft dingy 60miles offshore to do it again. Absolute animal.

I've seen that video before (big surprise, huh). Crazy stuff. Even crazier to think that beast of a fish might have swum offshore here in Washington - when it was about half that size. Pacific bluefin are considered a single stock so that's very possible. New Zealand is the home to giant Pacific bluefin, just as Prince Edward Island is for giant Atlantic Bluefin.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Making good progress this winter

View attachment 271855

I am should be embarrassed. I only have one very fish and weather dependent trip on the books for 2021 and I honestly am not that far behind you ....ha. I have started tying the dozen I have to send in for the Albacore swap but even taking that out of the equation, I am going way overboard.

Big streamers are just so fun to tie.

Edit: what percentage of your patterns incorporate weight of some kind?

Last edited:

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I'll probably get out a half dozen times or so on my boat this year like usual. I have a single albacore fly to my name right now. But I've been swapping out the hooks on all my jigs :D

I do plan to bust out the 12wt a bit more this year and have a plan for it. It's just so hard to do when captaining the boat, and even harder on the small sport boats with a "full crew" vs something like Nick takes. But I'm going to figure this out.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I am should be embarrassed. I only have one very fish and weather dependent trip on the books for 2021 and I honestly am not that far behind you ....ha. I have started tying the dozen I have to send in for the Albacore swap but even taking that out of the equation, I am going way overboard.

Big streamers are just so fun to tie.

Edit: what percentage of your patterns incorporate weight of some kind?

I would guess that I add some weight to probably 80% of my flies anymore. On most of my standard baitfish ties I tie in the tail, then add lead wraps up to the eye to kinda level off the whole thing from the tail forward. Sometimes when I'm adding a Spawn head I'll put a bunch of lead wraps around the head of the fly to help fill up space to make the Spawn head fit a little better.

I dont make them insanely heavy but I like my flies to start sinking a bit as soon as they hit the water.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts