Albacore Flies

Kfish

WFF Supporter
What do you think about that stuff Lou? I've been tempted to order some for a while now.
The hair is similar to fox tail and craft fur Nick, it's really soft and pillowy. It does not flair out like bucktail when you tighten the thread on it and is a little slippery.

Most of the fiber are long with a nice taper at the end, some shorter fiber in the underfur but it doesn't have that mix of all different lengths in a clump of bucktail that we cut out if you know what I mean.

It's about 5 to 6 inches long and would be great for big Ling flies. You could get a nice baitfish teardrop taper if you use the whole thing. For smaller flies that require trimming then you end up with mostly uniform length of hair, but each fiber tapers nicely at the tip.

PXL_20210225_055350086.jpg PXL_20210225_055639724.jpg PXL_20210225_055802325.jpg

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Thanks Lou. Where did you order from? I need more tying materials like I need a another 6 wt, but that's never stopped me before lol

Kfish

WFF Supporter

The white you see is a large pack.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Played around a bit this weekend with coloring my own popper heads for a topwater saurie pattern. Head came out ok, pattern needs some work. I am thinking cutting the popper head back a bit to expose more room on the hook for materials. I want to make the pattern a little bulkier and make the transition from head to body smoother somehow. It’s 3/1, I have time to figure this out :).

A58E9A09-E4D2-49D8-B23B-FBEDB437A6B5.jpeg

Bagman

Played around a bit this weekend with coloring my own popper heads for a topwater saurie pattern. Head came out ok, pattern needs some work. I am thinking cutting the popper head back a bit to expose more room on the hook for materials. I want to make the pattern a little bulkier and make the transition from head to body smoother somehow. It’s 3/1, I have time to figure this out :).

View attachment 273547
Or you could just hang a stinger hook. I like the fly your painting is better then I can do.

Kfish

WFF Supporter

View attachment 273547
Man that head looks like a bonefish lol
Nice!

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Nayat is snowrunner, right? I received a decent bit of it recently and thought of using it for albacore. It's crazy long.....

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Nayat is snowrunner, right? I received a decent bit of it recently and thought of using it for albacore. It's crazy long.....
Yes, although it's a mystical animal to me, have no idea what it is actually. It's from the UK so it's legally harvested I assume.
Google search result for snow runner, Reddit... Of course.
Screenshot_20210301-195347.png Screenshot_20210301-195249.png

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Man that head looks like a bonefish lol
Nice!

Yeah, you can actually make some decent looking heads really easily with magic markers and UV cure. That one took me about 10 minutes. I think the key is doing it in layers. Color the white foam in 1-2 colors. Cover with cure. Then add more marker on cure. Smear the colors a bit so they fade into each other. More cure...more color. It gives it depth you would not get if you just color the foam and covered with cure.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Yeah, you can actually make some decent looking heads really easily with magic markers and UV cure. That one took me about 10 minutes. I think the key is doing it in layers. Color the white foam in 1-2 colors. Cover with cure. Then add more marker on cure. Smear the colors a bit so they fade into each other. More cure...more color. It gives it depth you would not get if you just color the foam and covered with cure.
I think some fox would make a good transition from head to body on that one.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I think it's Icelandic sheep. The hair comes on pelts Brian.

As you said Lou, a truly mythical animal whatever it is.
I was reading this and thought it was funny all the different guesses as to what animal Nayat comes from.
Cattle, horses.....maybe from the ass of a manbearpig ;)
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts