Albacore Flies

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Crazy to think summer before last I was shamelessly begging to fill a couple of charter seats. Now, here it is only March, we've got a dedicated albacore fly tying thread with almost 300 replies, AND gorgeous JC flies that will be taking some real class offshore this year. That's gotta mark some kind of turning point, or milestone in PNW fly fishing.
You’ve become a “fisher of men”.

Borosilicate

Couple shock and awe tubes. What ratio of blue to white should I use? I have a lil more white than blue on both but I’m thinking I might need to use less blue. Would love to hear thoughts

Attachments

• 787B1820-DF22-4A40-83F5-70A7F9940F46.jpeg
    787B1820-DF22-4A40-83F5-70A7F9940F46.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • FB4ACE9A-6008-4ABD-AFF0-FCADA5FF24DF.jpeg
    FB4ACE9A-6008-4ABD-AFF0-FCADA5FF24DF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Borosilicate

On the second one I added a little red rabbit for a gill. Not sure if it’s needed or not but I like to have a lil red on all my PS clousers/baitfish.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Those look good to me. Can't offer much in the way of the coloring. Sometimes they'll eat pretty much anything, other times there's no telling exactly what they will want.

I too add red gills on all my PS flies. I have gone away from that for the most part with my tuna flies. Not for any real quantifiable reason, but mostly because I don't ever really notice the gills on the baitfish I see offshore, except for baitfish that are wounded and tuna dont seem to be as into the wounded ones as they are the super healthy lively ones. I still add red on patterns from time to time, but mostly omit it these days. Does omitting it make any difference? I certainly can't make that claim lol. As always I say fish what ya have confidence in.

wanderingrichard

I have been.
Ok. Do you think they'll work as well as conventional flies? I've never tied in my life, so not sure if there would be shortcomings to tube flies or not.
Been following the albacore / tuna threads closely. The whole concept intrigues me. Right now trying to get an idea of which way to load the flybox.

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
Ok. Do you think they'll work as well as conventional flies? I've never tied in my life, so not sure if there would be shortcomings to tube flies or not.
Been following the albacore / tuna threads closely. The whole concept intrigues me. Right now trying to get an idea of which way to load the flybox.
Shock & Awe is a proven tube fly for Albacore

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Gotta ask; Anyone think about tying tube flies for albies?
I think they’ll get less beaten up, and they’re not really any more difficult to tie. Except for a deep dive recently into realistic shrimp flies, I usually tie flies for function. If I can get more life out of tube flies, I’m willing to try. I’ll find out this summer.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts