Albacore Flies

wanderingrichard

I think they’ll get less beaten up, and they’re not really any more difficult to tie. Except for a deep dive recently into realistic shrimp flies, I usually tie flies for function. If I can get more life out of tube flies, I’m willing to try. I’ll find out this summer.
Thanks. Totally get it. Yeah am behind the" power curve" regarding tying. But, retirement coming soon and I'll start catching up.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
@GOTY fished almost exclusively tubes when he came out last year.

No reason tubes can't be used if desired, and they do provide some advantages.

I dont like to tie on tubes. Honestly my biggest reason is that many flies just don't look quite right to me when I tie them on tubes, and if a fly doesn't appeal to my eye I'm not likely to fish it. Pretty dumb, but that's what it comes down to for me.

wanderingrichard

@GOTY fished almost exclusively tubes when he came out last year.

No reason tubes can't be used if desired, and they do provide some advantages.

I dont like to tie on tubes. Honestly my biggest reason is that many flies just don't look quite right to me when I tie them on tubes, and if a fly doesn't appeal to my eye I'm not likely to fish it. Pretty dumb, but that's what it comes down to for me.
No, not dumb at all. I think pride and confidence in your own work says a lot. Don't see much of that anymore.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Should I stop trying to get too cute and tie up a dozen saury stinger clouser patterns like this? Heavy 1/4 inch barbell eyes. Tied on a waddington shank w/ 50lb senyo wire. If go any longer I’ll have to use artificial materials. This is about the limit of the bucktail I have on hand.

1A284E74-2561-4861-8B58-A1AD0D4D54A8.jpeg

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Here is another very simple saury pattern. I have had a lot of success with smaller versions of this fly in chartreuse/pink over white for coho. This is just a lot bigger version of that. Wondering if tuna will have interest as it definitely does not keel like a healthy baitfish. It swims more sideways, a lot like an injured baitfish. Guess we’ll have to see...

Dry

D78F3F46-40DA-408E-9F76-65B4F17E10BB.jpeg

Wet

AADFF74D-7CEE-46FC-A4BF-53F5A3AB013F.jpeg

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
The schools of juvenile sauries that we saw at the surface in late August last summer were 3" or so. Steve
That’s good to know. That is about the size I tie my coho flies so the ability to maybe use for both is great. The pattern above is about 4.5 inches.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Check out the flies from the swap! So sweet!

Received mine today (left hand side)! Combined with the stuff I’ve tied so far (right hand side), I am in a decent spot for the two tuna trips I have scheduled to date…

B5ADA9BE-F841-40F5-B860-EF5BC2FAA8BB.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts