Albacore Flies

Matt B

WFF Supporter
..dunno when I'd use it, trolled maybe?
Exactly! Trolling is a part of the game. Might as well have something out there that might get bit, and pull on a tuna for a while, even if the excitement isn't quite the same as a cast-and-retrieve fish. Still, I don't find it exactly boring when that jolt out of the blue interrupts the steady hum of the troll motion...

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Exactly! Trolling is a part of the game. Might as well have something out there that might get bit, and pull on a tuna for a while, even if the excitement isn't quite the same as a cast-and-retrieve fish. Still, I don't find it exactly boring when that jolt out of the blue interrupts the steady hum of the troll motion...

Oh, I know...all of my tuna on a fly rod have come via trolled. I don't mind that at all, it's still fun as shit.

Between this and a couple of larger squid patterns, I should be set. Hell, if a Mako shows up, this may end up getting thrown at it as well.

SilverFly

Exactly! Trolling is a part of the game. Might as well have something out there that might get bit, and pull on a tuna for a while, even if the excitement isn't quite the same as uuua cast-and-retrieve fish. Still, I don't find it exactly boring when that jolt out of the blue interrupts the steady hum of the troll motion...

"Jolt out of the blue" is no exaggeration. Might not be proper fly fishing, but troll grabs are insane. There's also the visual aspect (if you're watching) since the fly is at, if not on the surface. @cabezon also showed us last year how effective and exciting flipping a fly into the propwash can be.

Oh, I know...all of my tuna on a fly rod have come via trolled. I don't mind that at all, it's still fun as shit.

Between this and a couple of larger squid patterns, I should be set. Hell, if a Mako shows up, this may end up getting thrown at it as well.

You're way overdue. I'm sure get some legit this year. A mako might ruin tigers for you though. ;)

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
For those of you that tie flies with stingers, are you using wire? Heavy braid?
An advantage of wire is that we are likely to encounter blue sharks and they do bite flies. The wire may increase the opportunity to recover your fly. The downside of wire vs braid is less motion on the retrieve with wire.
Steve

DenWor54

I use doubled fire line for my trailers, as long as you have enough material it should not be a problem. Bk Paige used some of my bugs and as far as I know they were fine. When catching a lot of fish I hate wire for trailers it gets twisted and is harder to bring back to shape for your next fish. I used to use wire for bottom fish and switched to the fire line as wire would were out pretty fast. I have fished sharks in the South Pacific and for that I use solid Malyon stainless in 100lb which also holds up to wahoo.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I use doubled fire line for my trailers, as long as you have enough material it should not be a problem. Bk Paige used some of my bugs and as far as I know they were fine. When catching a lot of fish I hate wire for trailers it gets twisted and is harder to bring back to shape for your next fish. I used to use wire for bottom fish and switched to the fire line as wire would were out pretty fast. I have fished sharks in the South Pacific and for that I use solid Malyon stainless in 100lb which also holds up to wahoo.

what hooks are you using on those? apologies if you've already mentioned.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Strong hooks yes, but large hooks are not required. I have fished primarily flies tied on size 1 and 2 stainless-steel hooks. I might think about going up to perhaps size 2/0 hooks but they really are not necessary in this fishery.
Steve.

DenWor54

I use size 1 -2/0 never bigger as cabezon stated they are not necessarily and i feel they swim and fish better with a smaller hook. But try to always maintain hook gap on tying on single non-trailer style. I have landed smaller tuna on size 6 glass minnows but never smaller than that. The hook that I tied on the trailer for the flies that bk and GOTY used was a gamu octopus 02011 size 1/0.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Strong hooks yes, but large hooks are not required. I have fished primarily flies tied on size 1 and 2 stainless-steel hooks. I might think about going up to perhaps size 2/0 hooks but they really are not necessary in this fishery.
Steve.
damn, down to a size 2? I can't totally wrap my head around that size for tuna...I need something smaller like that to tie up some smaller baitfish and squid patterns that I have circulating through my head.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
damn, down to a size 2? I can't totally wrap my head around that size for tuna...I need something smaller like that to tie up some smaller baitfish and squid patterns that I have circulating through my head.
The Pacific saury juveniles that the fish were feeding on last summer were only 3-4" long. And I believe that they use size 2 hooks when fishing live bait on a more typical charter.
Steve

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Large hooks are definitely not necessary and in many cases a disadvantage. Large hook=Large hole. Albacore will shake their head quickly back and forth and a large hook can be worked loose very quickly. I have some underwater video of this happening somewhere, it's pretty interesting.

I like a short shank, wide gap hook from size 1 up to 2/0 depending on the hook.

As mentioned we use size 2 live bait hooks for fishing anchovies and we have very, very few hooks pull if they are hooked properly. We lose waaaayyy more fish to hook pulls using trolling gear with large hooks.

SilverFly

Large hooks are definitely not necessary and in many cases a disadvantage. Large hook=Large hole. Albacore will shake their head quickly back and forth and a large hook can be worked loose very quickly. I have some underwater video of this happening somewhere, it's pretty interesting.

I like a short shank, wide gap hook from size 1 up to 2/0 depending on the hook.

As mentioned we use size 2 live bait hooks for fishing anchovies and we have very, very few hooks pull if they are hooked properly. We lose waaaayyy more fish to hook pulls using trolling gear with large hooks.
Tuna live bait hooks are also useful as fly hooks for tying all kinds of stuff. Especially if you need a compact, heavy, uber-strong hook. They're great for shrimpy stuff and even egg patterns. I use them a lot for pocket water chinook and coho.

thatguyryry

So fishing some tuna like flies for rockfish and lings this weekend, the big coneheads did a lot better than other flies tied with wraps of lead. I think this was because the jiggy action I could get while stripping the fly, is this something that I should do for tuners also?

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
So fishing some tuna like flies for rockfish and lings this weekend, the big coneheads did a lot better than other flies tied with wraps of lead. I think this was because the jiggy action I could get while stripping the fly, is this something that I should do for tuners also?
Yes, you will do more cycles of stack-mending than casting when we'er on a stop. If the heavy cone-heads have better action under those conditions that would seem to be advantageous.
Steve

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts